SOI on TV same time as US Nats | Golden Skate

SOI on TV same time as US Nats

tripleflutz

On the Ice
I just noticed that NBC is running the 90min SOI "infomercial" as counter programing to the US NATS Mens LP which is live, on saturday afternoon. Thats nuts, no one will watch it. What is Scotty thinking?

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I feel the same way - very poor planning! :no: :frown: :mad: :confused: We will have to tape the SOI show (hope it's more than a "sneak peek," but I'm not too hopeful of that based on NBC's coverage the last three seasons - always preferred the A&E treatment), and watch Nationals.

Jhar55

Medalist
It's possiable that Scott had nothing to do with the airing time after all it is NBC.
Which do you think NBC will air Daytona 500 or Olympics?
NBC stinks in their Olympic coverage at least they did for Salt Lake......
NBC = Olympics, Needs Better Coverage :rofl:

Teenes

On the Ice
The 90-minute special I don't think is the "infomercial" - that's supposed to be different than the 60 minute promotional special they put out to air in syndication in each local market.

I really doubt Scott Hamilton has anything to do with the airdate. It may have just been a bad coincidence - I think Disson is responsible for buying the airtime from NBC, and I know he always aims to get the 4-6 (or 4:30-6 for SOI) timeslot on a Saturday or Sunday. I don't know when the specific times for the different segments of Nationals gets set, but it's possible they didn't know that the Men's LP was airing on Jan. 14 at that time when they bought the time for SOI. Or maybe NBC didn't have another January slot available.

It does kind of suck that they're on at the same time, though. Good thing I can record two things at once!

Frau Muller

Final Flight
It is a purposeful coincidence, with deception in mind, to grab viewers away from the 'real thing' (Nationals). The networks know that the average viewer -- Joe & Jane Public -- can barely tell the difference between elite eligible competition & a proskate. They're banking on a buncha idiots turning on their TVs on Sat afternoon, to watch Nationals, seeing skating on NBC, then stopping the channel-flipping on NBC.

By the way, FOX is doing the same thing during the Olympics -- several of their 'Skating with the Stars' episodes will air on nights in whch Olympic figure skating events will air! It'll be February 'Sweeps' Month then -- sneaky, sneaky on the part of FOX!

heyang

Record Breaker
Ugh - I'll be taping several things (SOI, Dancing with the Stars, In Justice) on my VCR while TiVo'ing Nationals since I won't be home most of the weekend since my college roommate is visiting.

Does anyone know if there will be a repeat of SOI? They've had them in the past, but I can't remember if they did during Olympic seasons.

Rgirl

bluecatskater

Rinkside
Count your blessings that you even get to see Nationals on Saturday afternoon
my local ABC affiliate isn't even showing it. So I don't have to make a decision or have 2 tapes recording. Booo Hooo! They do this to us every year!
Cathy

Linny

Final Flight
A 2nd Tivo

I'm buying a second Tivo. I've gotten spoiled and no longer want to watch things that were taped with the VCR.

Skating with the Stars is opposite LOST. I can't miss an episode of LOST!

And watching programs as they are broadcast is simply not an option.

Linny

Linny said:
Skating with the Stars is opposite LOST. I can't miss an episode of LOST!
I'll be Skating with the Stars, LOL. You won't miss anything is you miss Lost. Nothing ever happens. Every week they tease us by saying, next week we are actually going to tell you something -- but they never do. Fool me one season, shame on you; fool me two seasons, shame on me, LOL.

Isn't it time for Jack Bauer and 24 to start up? :laugh:

S

SkateFan4Life

It's a no-brainer to me --

NATIONALS!!!!

But that is really idiotic counter-programming. What are those network nuts thinking about?

rob43

On the Ice
Geez- that scheduling sucks. Is there anyway SOI could adjust their contract to state it couldn't be aired opposite live skating comps. (I know dodging re-run or delayed programs is impossible but how does pitting pro against amateur for attention help build the fan base at all.)

heyang

Record Breaker
Based on TiVo to date, the SOI infomercial is not on the schedule to be rebroadcast. I'm guessing that it might not be since it's just an infomercial, not the actual show.

I'm guessing that NBC also scheduled this show as an Olympic type preview since there have been so many past Olympians on the tour. Perfect lead in to Olympics for them IMO.

I'm going to have to record onto tape and then transfer to DVD with my other pre-Olympic shows.

Panther2000

On the Ice
Frau Muller said:
It is a purposeful coincidence, with deception in mind, to grab viewers away from the 'real thing' (Nationals). The networks know that the average viewer -- Joe & Jane Public -- can barely tell the difference between elite eligible competition & a proskate. They're banking on a buncha idiots turning on their TVs on Sat afternoon, to watch Nationals, seeing skating on NBC, then stopping the channel-flipping on NBC.

By the way, FOX is doing the same thing during the Olympics -- several of their 'Skating with the Stars' episodes will air on nights in whch Olympic figure skating events will air! It'll be February 'Sweeps' Month then -- sneaky, sneaky on the part of FOX!

I agree, it is done on purpose. Ratings is the name of the game. However, I think FOX is an idiot. The Winter Olympic Games Skating is the biggest draw. I don't see to many tunnig out to watch anything but. & Women's skating is the entire draw of all the competitions. Funny, thought:laugh:

Jasper

Final Flight
Thanks. Do you know what skaters will be performing? I have to judge if it's worth taping or not, although Men's Nationals definitely get priority.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't know how much of the current tour show will be shown, but the cast is Alexei Yagudin, Jamie & David, Elena & Anton, Todd Eldredge, Yuka Sato (as a singles skater & with husband Jason Dungjen), Ina & Zimmerman, Steven Cousins, & Jennifer Robinson.

Jasper

Final Flight
iluvtodd said:
I don't know how much of the current tour show will be shown, but the cast is Alexei Yagudin, Jamie & David, Elena & Anton, Todd Eldredge, Yuka Sato (as a singles skater & with husband Jason Dungjen), Ina & Zimmerman, Steven Cousins, & Jennifer Robinson.

Thanks! I'd be interested in watching Alexei and Todd.