Loren/David, Tanith/Ben | Golden Skate

Loren/David, Tanith/Ben

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Janna, thanks for the article. I didn't know that the two teams were friends. Even so, Mitchell's mother made a strong point against Tanith whether right or wrong. I wonder if that will put a strain on the friendship or was it just written that the two teams were friends.

Dee

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'm glad to hear that. But I'm sorry to hear that Loren lost her grandmother. And Tanith just lost her grandfather. Best wishes to all!

Frau Muller

Final Flight
What else can G-R/M say? They're eating crow, regardless.

Sympathy & sadness aside:

....grandmother, Eva Galler, 84, passed away last week in Dallas. A survivor of the Holocaust, she was flooded out of her New Orleans home by Hurricane Katrina.

OK - so grandma lived in the 9th ward among the African-American and Hispanic poor? Uh....most likely not. Nice public-relations bit, though. Sort of like Surya Bonaly having been born on Reunion Island, found in the jungles beneath a waterfall. Yeah....right. Go tell it to the Marines.

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Frau, your hotility towards G-R&M team is freighteting. You never miss an opportunity to attack them nowdays. Give it a rest, please!

It was not only the 9th ward that got flooded, ok? Lot's of other neighborhoods suffered as well. French quarter, 8th ward also suffered. I know somebody who is a professor in Tulane and he and family were chased out of the city as well. They moved in St. Louis for the fall semester.

Nice to see that some people (i.e, Tanith and Ben) are forgiving and don't dwell on the past.

Yana

Pixie Cut

On the Ice
Frau Muller said:
OK - so grandma lived in the 9th ward among the African-American and Hispanic poor? Uh....most likely not. Nice public-relations bit, though. Sort of like Surya Bonaly having been born on Reunion Island, found in the jungles beneath a waterfall. Yeah....right. Go tell it to the Marines.

A lot of residential neighborhoods, rich and poor, were flooded by Katrina.

And FYI, Loren's mother's name is Janina. She may just be the one who started this thread. You might want to take it down a notch. This is her mother being talked about.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Pixie Cut said:
A lot of residential neighborhoods, rich and poor, were flooded by Katrina.
Thank you. This has nothing to do with any kind of pity. For any person, especially an elderly one, especially one who has obviously been through a lot (understatement), to loose their home is tragic.

And FYI, Loren's mother's name is Janina. She may just be the one who started this thread.
I think you're stretching. "Janna" usually posts in Sarah-related threads.

dwiggin3

Final Flight
Frau Muller said:

....grandmother, Eva Galler, 84, passed away last week in Dallas. A survivor of the Holocaust, she was flooded out of her New Orleans home by Hurricane Katrina.

Frau Muller.....the above is in such poor taste in a way its funny

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Yes, it is funny, Darby. Everyone: Apologies if I have offended you but the intention was not to offend. My point is that the figure skating world is so full of 'Surya Stories' that I have to think twice about every p.r. statement that is issued. We ain't in Oz, boys & girls!

I'm not against G-R/M; I'm against phoniness by anyone!

p.s. I'm not making up the Reunion Isle bit. You do know about the big fake story issued by Surya's adoptive mom a few years ago, right? After that, I'm skeptical about everything that comes from folks in the skating world, especially those who try to hurt others.

p.s.s. Of course, Tanith & Ben are gracious -- what else are they to say, in the public eye? Bravo to them! In this forum, you & I can speak our minds.

Last edited:

dwiggin3

Final Flight
I have a rather sarcastic sense of hurmor - and some find it offensive. I would say that the majority of skaters are not from the demograpics of the 9th ward, so in that sense, your comment was funny because I doubt that G-R/M share much with folks from the 9th ward and so to try and equate them with that population is funny in a sarcastic way AND it also does a great disservice to people who lost thier lives/homes in the storm. (we could have a whole other debate about why the demographics of the 9th ward are not participating in sports such as skating, but that's a diff. thread).

I've been involved with the sport long enough to know when a skater/family is talking in "PR" language and when its really from the heart. There are a lot of phonies but I'm not going to automatically assume all are phonies.

I think Mitchells mom was doing what she thought she should do to help her son. Maybe the team knew, maybe they didn't but I think that we as humans ought to be more inclined to give folks the benifit of the doubt and not assume every action is a calculated one.

Regarding Sryra (sp). I've heard so many storeis, I don't know what to believe. All I know is that she never seemed very happy and most people who came into contact with her and her mom reported a not so pleasent experiance. That's sad on so many levels.

May all the dance teams (and pairs and singles) skate thier best and let the cards fall as they may.

Darby

Frau Muller

Final Flight
dwiggin3 said:
May all the dance teams (and pairs and singles) skate thier best and let the cards fall as they may.

Darby

I'll have to second that one, Darby! Here's to everone for good skates & fair judgements. :rock:

Frau Muller

Final Flight
dwiggin3 said:
I.....it also does a great disservice to people who lost thier lives/homes in the storm. (we could have a whole other debate about why the demographics of the 9th ward are not participating in sports such as skating, but that's a diff. thread)......
Darby

I worked with hundreds of those people, at a Red Cross shelter in Baton Rouge. Skating is not in their priorities.; how about getting a hot meal and some shoes? NOT ONE of the hundreds of people who we fed and clothed during those three weeks had (let me be sensitive here) the 'demographics' of people in the elite figure-skating world. The homes of most of those sorts of families are on higher ground. Those who had to flee gobbled-up all available hotel rooms within a 100-mile radius (and, in the end, had their nice hotel rooms 'covered' by Red Cross and FEMA checks!). Only the mostly-African-American and Hispanic folk without their own transportation ended up in the big shelters, lining up for hot meals and towels.

Sorry but having seen the tragedy first-hand, the very thought of 'elitist' folk possibly using Hurricane Katrina as a 'cover' for p.r. brownie points makes me puke.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Frau Muller said:
My point is that the figure skating world is so full of 'Surya Stories' that I have to think twice about every p.r. statement that is issued.
Normally, I'm quite sensitive to that kind of stuff as well (remember the bit on TV when Xue Shen's mom was talking about Xue and her dad having to share a treat because they couldn't afford two?). However, this seems a rather succinct statement with hardly any spin.

KBell

Rinkside
Frau Muller said:

I am from New Orleans and yes still live there. My home was damaged though I am lucky in that after repairs I'll have a home to go to but it is a long process and here we are over 4 months since the storm.

As I am sure many have told you above not just the 9th ward flooded! Many, Many areas of the city flooded and if you'd like to educate yourself please feel free to click this link for the airborn photography of the area to see! Each square on the map is a different picture of that area. The dark areas are water where you should see streets ect.. you can tell when you hit an unflooded area b/c you can see the streets clearly. Most of New Orleans proper is aove the blue line (how appropriate) which is the Mississippi River and inside the U shape near the center right ftom the river to the top of the map and over to the far right again above the blue line.
http://ngs.woc.noaa.gov/katrina/090E29M_KATRINA.HTM

Just as an FYI not just "African-American and Hispanic poor" live in the 9th ward. Be careful about what you type if you don't know the area. While the lower portion ot The 9th Ward is a populated by primarily African Americans the area is also populated with a wide variety of all ethnic groups from many socio-economic backgrounds. Don't believe all you hear in the media.

On another note, we have experienced the deaths of many elderly from the city, primarily due to stress brought on by this disaster. Some died days after the storm in their houses refusing to leave, while others died while evacuated. The elderly many of whom are have some sort of chronic illness are the population that is least suited to handle this crisis. We are also seeing a lot of suicides in that city as well.

Last edited:

LittleAngelCora

Rinkside
As has everything in my life as of late discussion inevitably turns to Katrina. Just a little FYI for people who haven't seen it with their own eyes-lots of places got it just as bad as the 9th Ward and a lot of places got it WORSE. Like my community that became the Gulf of Mexico for days on end and when the water finally cleared there was not much of anything left. I could tell you where I'm from but you've probably never heard of it even though it was the first place Katrina's eye passed across. It wasn't just the very poor or just the very rich that suffered, but whatever your situation in life, it doesn't matter. Your house is still your house and your town is still your town and those are two things that should never be taken away from someone. So just try to be a little sensitive when referring to all things Katrina---because some of us deal with her legacy everyday.

And excuse me if I went off on a tangent, but this is a topic I can't just not comment on.

Courtney

KBell

Rinkside
LittleAngelCora said:
As has everything in my life as of late discussion inevitably turns to Katrina. Just a little FYI for people who haven't seen it with their own eyes-lots of places got it just as bad as the 9th Ward and a lot of places got it WORSE. Like my community that became the Gulf of Mexico for days on end and when the water finally cleared there was not much of anything left. I could tell you where I'm from but you've probably never heard of it even though it was the first place Katrina's eye passed across. It wasn't just the very poor or just the very rich that suffered, but whatever your situation in life, it doesn't matter. Your house is still your house and your town is still your town and those are two things that should never be taken away from someone. So just try to be a little sensitive when referring to all things Katrina---because some of us deal with her legacy everyday.

And excuse me if I went off on a tangent, but this is a topic I can't just not comment on.

Courtney

no need to excuse yourself and tangent appreciated from a fellow New Orleanian and MS Gulf Coast Resident!

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Thank you for the link, gkelly. I find it deeply (and darly) ironic that "Katrina" was the name that Mrs. Gaeller adopted to survive during the war.

KBell

Rinkside
gkelly said:
In case anyone is interested in Mrs. Galler's story, here's an obituary, which was linked from Michelle Wojdyla's blog on the Nationals website:

http://www.nola.com/obituaries/t-p/index.ssf?/base/obits-33/1136532280233490.xml

And here's a post from FSU giving links to detailed oral histories with the Gallers:

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=755531&postcount=14

Thanks for the links. I've heard of her through the years but it was nice to read it all in print. What a Woman she was and a couple they were!