Sasha Cohen and Project Runway | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Sasha Cohen and Project Runway

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
I though Sasha was very poised as a celebrity judge. She was really into the fashion aspect of the whole experience.

MM :)

I just wish she'd picked something that didn't already resemble so many of her costumes... Also the whole thing about flattering her shape was too ironic when you think of the ever present plunging necklines & keyholes she's so fond of... But it was a cute episode.

ITA, Kwanford Wife, that Sasha hadn't chosen a dress that looked like so many of her other costumes. Althought I liked the way Zulema swirled and sequined the fabric part of the bodice (what there was of it), that big belly white illusion "egg" in the middle seemed as if it belonged in a different costume, like the one Sasha wore for "Hernando's Hideaway." This was looked like a bridal dress combined with a belly shirt.

And if Sasha was concerned with looked "straight up and down," Zulema's dress accentuated that, IMO. Although one thing about the models, their thinness is the opposite of athletic thinness. The modals are all slumpy with an "I couldn't care less" posture, which is the opposite of how an athlete like Sasha looks.

I thought Chloe's turquoise chiffon with layered "skirts" was the most outstanding by far. Ironic that all the fashion judges voted for it but Sasha went for Zulema's "Swan Lake at Hernando's Hideaway." I wasn't surprised, thought, since I thought Sasha's choice reflected her personality. She's not much of a risk taker, though few figure skaters are. It's a conservative sport and tends to attract conservative people, at least with the ladies. Just listen to the music that gets used over and over.

I thought Chloe's dress would have looked great on Sasha, and contrary to Sasha's concerns, I think the design would have added shape to Sasha's "waistless" torso rather than "hidden her shape" (hidden what shape?). My only concern with Chloe's dress is that Sasha is so short that the layered skirts might have looked as if she'd fallen into a box of turquoise chiffon ruffles. But I think with the right fitting and taking out some of the layers, Chloe's dress would have been flattering on Sasha for her "Don't Rain on My Parade" exhibition.

Plus I agree that the color was not only different for figure skating, but would have looked stunning. Also, I'm dying to see how it would have moved! I may be very wrong, but I think the movement in all aspects of Sasha's skating would have been dynamite.

Obviously Chloe's dress would not be a competitive outfit--the judges aren't ready for something that different. But for exhibitions, I think Sasha could have really made a statment. It seems she's been careful to play the game in the years since her outspoken days in early 2002; at least I hope it's a choice and not a true limitation of her personality. I say that because in these next four years, I'd love to see Sasha become a trend setter in not only fashion on the ice, but also in the music she chooses for her programs and especially the choreography.

Assuming Sasha wears Zulema's dress, I can't imagine it for anything she has up currently except "R&J," and even then it's not a good match. As for "Don't Rain on My Parade" and Zulema's dress--yuck.

I liked Nick's dress third best. His design was interesting but what sunk it for me was the color: a kind of goldish beige. What's up with that?

As for the rest, the ranged from Mom's basement design to nice parts vs. ugly parts, such as the fringe as the skirt on Kara's to Santino's "I don't know what to do so I'll just keep adding things." I loved the way Sasha described the back, something like, "Having to skate with a full backpack." But as one of the judge's asked, "Which is worse? Going too far or going nowhere?" So I thought they made the right decision in letting Santino stay, but unless he comes up with something great this week, he's going to be sewing on sequins for Zulema.

So Sasha, hon', be like Chloe. Think outside the box and wear the turquoise no matter what you decided on the show. And talk to David Wilson about your music, PLEASE! Or me.:biggrin:

Rgirl

P.S. You know who else I thought would have looked great in Chloe's turquoise dress? Alissa Czisny. You have to be straight and thin, IMO to look great in that dress and Sasha and Alissa, IMO, have the best bodies for that dress. Plus, imagine Alissa's spins in that dress. WOW!

Last edited:
What I didn't like about the layered turquoise dress was that it did not have a waist. That made it look like a Christmas tree, sort of tapering in layers from top to bottom, getting ever wider.

Justafan

On the Ice
I thought it was painfully obvious that none of the designers knew anything about Sasha's style. All the dark colors especially. I liked Chloe's the best but not the way it was fixed at the neck. The rest were either blah or hideous. I think Santino should have been booted off for that monstrosity he created...which showed to me, that he didn't give a crap about it..he was just going to inflict his "creation" on everyone. I bet that Zulema's dress ends up getting a major "altering' before Sasha wears it. I thought the zipper in the back looked really tacky too. I think Emmett was the sacrificial lamb on this show.

ranjake

Final Flight
project runway is my favorite show.......but i LIKE santino! (go ahead, throw things!!!)...sometimes. he is incredibly arrogant...but so many fashion designers/couture designers are. i loved his 1st and second week designs...and liked his nicky hilton dress; though i thought it needed alterations. i love chloe and nick...and daniel is sneaking up on me. when santino is good, to me, he's very good....and when he misses he's god-awful. he has won 2 challenges, though...so maybe that's why he wasn't kicked off this week, when he really did have the UGLIEST dress.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mathman said:
What I didn't like about the layered turquoise dress was that it did not have a waist. That made it look like a Christmas tree, sort of tapering in layers from top to bottom, getting ever wider.
:bow: :bow: Math, you have a good eye!!! I think Chloe's design would be good as an out on the town dress but for a skater....no. The reason I say this is because of the inverted "V"
v_0.gif
the design gives more emphasis on her bottom. Also, the tie for the neckline could give in to a wardrobe malfunction. We don't want to go through that again. :laugh: :laugh: I think the color would outshine the skater. I think that's why Sasha said it wasn't used much.

I, too, think the winning dress will be altered quite a bit for Sasha. I hope it is. I just don't think belly buttons are that attactive even if you have a good figure. :laugh: :laugh:

Dee

LBC

On the Ice
Mathman said:

Sasha herself called it a Christmas Tree on Leno. That makes me think she didn't like it too much. It is like looking at an outfit on a maniquin in the store. Would that look good on me? Until you try it on you don't know and Sasha didn't have that benefit. So instead of picking something she wasn't sure about she went with something she thought could work. It doesn't have to be that exact design when they make it for her. I've read that other dresses they've made for clients weren't exactly the same when it was made for them.

Considering they had never made a skating dress before and only had 2 days to do it I wasn't expecting a whole lot. We've seen some downright awful looking costumes made by "skating designers" that have had a lot of time to come up with it.

Justafan

On the Ice
ranjake said:
project runway is my favorite show.......but i LIKE santino! (go ahead, throw things!!!)...sometimes. he is incredibly arrogant...but so many fashion designers/couture designers are. i loved his 1st and second week designs...and liked his nicky hilton dress; though i thought it needed alterations. i love chloe and nick...and daniel is sneaking up on me. when santino is good, to me, he's very good....and when he misses he's god-awful. he has won 2 challenges, though...so maybe that's why he wasn't kicked off this week, when he really did have the UGLIEST dress.

He also almost lost in the lingerie challenge...more horrendous designs. I personally like Andrae..although he didn't do so well on the iceskating dress. I think it would have been cool if they had been given enough fabric to do unitards. I would like to see Sasha break out of her itty bitty dress mold sometimes.

rjw

Spectator
Project Runway Producers

All we see are the judges, but the producers also decide who stays or goes. Did anyone ever see the stand up comedian competition? The judges walked when the finalists included people they hadn't voted for. It ended with the understanding that producers could overrule. I didn't watch anymore after that. I do wonder how much influence they have on runway. Same with Apprentice, where they must have picked some of those people more to generate controversy then for their talent.

CB1AB2

Medalist
I love this show. Except for Santino, he is so full of himself. I haven't liked any of his designs. As for Sasha, I liked the outfit she picked.

cb

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well, I'm the extreme opposite of the fashion/dress type of person, and I must say if she was expecting any great designs to come out of this competition, she would be setting herself up for some disappointment. I wonder if she volunteered to do it or if they asked her to do this.

Two days and non-professionals- I didn't think much, but I thought they did a pretty good job considering the time frame. But I think some of those other dresses would have worked for other skaters...just not on Sasha. My non-fashion opinion.

ranjake

Final Flight
Justafan said:
He also almost lost in the lingerie challenge...more horrendous designs. I personally like Andrae..although he didn't do so well on the iceskating dress. I think it would have been cool if they had been given enough fabric to do unitards. I would like to see Sasha break out of her itty bitty dress mold sometimes.
i thought his lingerie was the UGLIEST too...heidi's home? LOL!...i am beginning to like andre as well. he seems to have much more of an eye than he showed in the first two episodes.

ladysarahchatto

On the Ice
Longhornliz said:
I liked Cloe's design the best... and I think it would really pretty when she was moving around the ice. The judges kept complimenting cloe for using such an unusual color for her costume, and I cant think of too many tourquiose dresses... however i feel like most of what cloe designs has been tourquiouse.

I liked Chloe's design the best too. The shape was so different and lovely! Not a typical skate dress style at all.

To me Zulema's costume just looked like another typical-Sasha-white skating dress. Mind you I love Sasha but I was hoping she'd go for something different. I liked Nick's second best, Daniel's burgundy dress was very pretty too. Andre's creation was unusual as well the black Princess Cylcone number. At first I thought Emmett's dress was really pretty but the panel's remarks were correct-it was not creative. The sparkles were part of the dress-basically someone else's design on the actual cloth-except for the spiderweb lace design which I thought was very unusual.

Santino's dress reminded me of an explosion in a dress factory. :rofl: He's a trip! I do find him entertaining in an obnoxious sort of way.

I wish they had chosen petite models rather than those Amazons! Not really short but smaller in size. Kate Moss for example stands 5'7-that is several inches shorter than the usual high fashion models.

Finally, I would LOVE to see Michelle, and Johnny on this show too! :biggrin:

I think I'd like to see what such Russian skaters like Plushenko would choose as well. He's had some wild looking outfits in the past!

ladysarahchatto

On the Ice
millie said:
The commentators said that Sasha will be wearing the dress, never said when.In ELLE magazine regarding Michelle's dress QUOTE"Because of the misical pieces Vera wang's designs had to be "extreme" and "severe" bordering avante-grant. I suppose they are all trying to look grown up while skating at the Olympics.

Of topic, Sasha looked beautifull on the Leno Show. She wore her hair down and wore red spaghetti strap t-shirt, jeans and red high heal shoes. She looks totally different in street clothes and really in shape. She did herself proud. :clap: Seems kind of shy but did a great job. Leno asked her about wardrobe malfunctions and she told him about how she lost her tights at the last Olymoics. He asked her about the Bush incident with the phone, cute. Also talked about her training. I enjoyed it.:)

Sasha was FABULOUS on Leno's show. I was very proud of her! She looked just lovely and so young! I didn't know Colin Firth was a co-guest star. I loved him as Mr. Darcy in Pride & Prejudice!

The 'Japanese skater' that lent her the tights according to her book was Fumie Suguri. Fumie should get a Great Sportsmanship Award or something! ;)

Edited to add: Sasha mentioned on Leno that she did wear the dress but that it would be shown at some later date. On PR they said it would be for an exhibition. Here's a pic of Cohen chatting with Leno on his show: http://www.nbc.com/The_Tonight_Show_with_Jay_Leno/photo/index.shtml

Last edited:

LBC

On the Ice
On that aol interview from yesterday Sasha said it still had to be fitted and that she would wear it at some point. I think people misunderstood her when she said she wore it and it hasn't been shown. Leno tapes earlier in the day. At that point Project Runway hadn't been aired. She has worn it (not totally done it seems) but PR hadn't been shown yet.

ladysarahchatto

On the Ice
LBC said:
On that aol interview from yesterday Sasha said it still had to be fitted and that she would wear it at some point. I think people misunderstood her when she said she wore it and it hasn't been shown. Leno tapes earlier in the day. At that point Project Runway hadn't been aired. She has worn it (not totally done it seems) but PR hadn't been shown yet.

I taped the show and watched the interview again just to be sure. I don't see where the misunderstanding comes in??

Leno says to her 'and is it-earlier tonight you were on The Project Runway..? He then asked Sasha flat out about the winning design. He asked her "Did you wear it?"

Sasha's exact quote "I um I DID wear it um it hasn't been shown yet"..

edited to add:

Maybe it depends what part of the US you live in-time zone-wise I mean? They aired Project Runway Eastern Time before Leno. I found out about both shows on Sasha's site which lists the Eastern time zone for the shows:

http://www.sashacohen.com/runway.shtml

Last edited: