Is Irina getting a bye to Olympics too? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Is Irina getting a bye to Olympics too?

R.D.

Record Breaker
Piel said:
Everyone thinks their favorite deserves the OGM to cap off their career.

Oh, of course they do. But it's not reality. Reality is that the winner of the Olympic competition deserves the OGM. It may or may not be Irina; it may or may not be Kwan.

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
Red Dog said:
If Irina skates the best on Feb. 23rd, she deserves the OGM.

If Kwan skates the best on Feb 23rd, she deserves the OGM.

If (insert name here) skates the best on Feb 23rd, she deserves the OGM.

End of story.

Yes, but do you remember what Oksana Baiul once said? "THAT day, on THAT competition" A person who skates best there will WIN, but a prerson who DESERVES it,....well, it simply DESERVES it. It is not something that you should judge about after just one competition. It's afterall the biggeest award thet an athlete can get. An IT IS only for the best.

Kasey

Medalist
anything_for_skating said:
Yes, but do you remember what Oksana Baiul once said? "THAT day, on THAT competition" A person who skates best there will WIN, but a prerson who DESERVES it,....well, it simply DESERVES it. It is not something that you should judge about after just one competition. It's afterall the biggeest award thet an athlete can get. An IT IS only for the best.

And it is NOT a cumulative, "best career, most deserving because of illness/injury/insert personal problem here" award. It is not about lifetime achievement. It is just another competition, one that only happens every four years and has a more impressive name, yes, but it is another competition...and as Mao Asada shows, some who have proven themselves as among the best in the world WON'T be there. Whoever does best THERE, those two programs, "deserves" that gold medal. Not someone who has stuck around for ten years or is a flash in the pan. All the garbage about Irina or Michelle or Sasha "Deserving" it any more than anyone else is just crap. How can you "Deserve" a medal at an event that has yet to take place? It's a stupid mindset to get into.

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
Red Dog said:
And another scandal is the LAST thing skating needs right now.

RUSSIAN SKATERS ARE NOT THOSE WHO MAKE SCANDALS, DON'T FORGET THAT!:yes:

And BTW, for all of you,
By the new judging system, NOBODY has so strong elements like Slutskaya. Nobody has that levels of spins and sparrows as she does. Even not Cohen, no matter that she does her famous split-sparrow. Kwan gives her best on the ice, she enjoys skating, but it's just not enough for a champion.

R.D.

Record Breaker

That's a matter of opinion, and I won't hold it against you.

However, one has to remember that the FS event at the Olympics is a COMPETITION just like every other event. It's NOT a lifetime achievement award. Sure, Skater X can "deserve" it to cap off an amazing career, but it stands that the OGM goes to the best that night. It's up to the athlete to step it up and put it all on the line. Look, Michelle has had TWO chances already and couldn't do it both times. Irina has had one chance, and gets another one next month- as the clear-cut favorite to win this time.

The Olys are a competition with a lot of prestige- and immense pressure on the favorites to perform to their absolute best. No one should think less of them if they can't meet that challenge, but at the same time, in order to be the best, you have to do well under pressure. And that's IMO what the Olympics are all about.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Kasey let me rephrase it. A lot of us would like to see our favorites win the OGM. For example at the exhibitions they showed all of the U.S.skaters who had won the OGM...and no Kwan. I felt sad. Kind of like in "The Cutting Edge" and the empty place in the trophy case beause Kate had no OGM.

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
Kasey said:
And it is NOT a cumulative, "best career, most deserving because of illness/injury/insert personal problem here" award. It is not about lifetime achievement. It is just another competition, one that only happens every four years and has a more impressive name, yes, but it is another competition...and as Mao Asada shows, some who have proven themselves as among the best in the world WON'T be there. Whoever does best THERE, those two programs, "deserves" that gold medal. Not someone who has stuck around for ten years or is a flash in the pan. All the garbage about Irina or Michelle or Sasha "Deserving" it any more than anyone else is just crap. How can you "Deserve" a medal at an event that has yet to take place? It's a stupid mindset to get into.

You can't deserve a medal just like that, but think! Ira was sick and afterall she came back and she is still the best! HOW WOULD YOU FEEL ON HER PLACE, IF YOU WOULD BE THE BEST IN SALT LAKE CITY, THE BEST HERE AND SOMEBODY STILL TELLS YOU THAT YOU ARE NOT?!

"every result is current, but reall Champions will stay Champions forever"

In this case, no matter who wins, Ira is that Champion and she will stay that forever!

R.D.

Record Breaker
You can't deserve a medal just like that, but think! Ira was sick and afterall she came back and she is still the best! HOW WOULD YOU FEEL ON HER PLACE, IF YOU WOULD BE THE BEST IN SALT LAKE CITY, THE BEST HERE AND SOMEBODY STILL TELLS YOU THAT YOU ARE NOT?!

"every result is current, but reall Champions will stay Champions forever"

In this case, no matter who wins, Ira is that Champion and she will stay that forever!

There is an argument either way. I take it you feel Irina was "robbed" in SLC. Well, in my eyes (and the judges' as well) Sarah was the winner here.

Don't feel bad, though. I'm sure you'll be jumping for joy in five weeks when Irina is crowned Olympic Champion. ;)

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Red Dog said:
There is an argument either way. I take it you feel Irina was "robbed" in SLC. Well, in my eyes (and the judges' as well) Sarah was the winner here.

Don't feel bad, though. I'm sure you'll be jumping for joy in five weeks when Irina is crowned Olympic Champion. ;)

I felt Irina could have won the short program, but Michelle also could have been
2nd over Irina in the long. It could have reasonably been either:

Michelle: short program-1, long program-2, overall-1 or
Irina: short program-1, long program-2, overall 1

However that would have been winning gold by going through the backdoor in a way so it probably worked out right. I wouldnt be surprised if some judges put Irina over Michelle, even though their performances were close,
to make sure Hughes won overall.

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
I don't think that Michelle is the only one who wants to fight with Irina. Sasha, Arakawa, Suguri, Ando, Costner,everybody will try. The new judging system brings changes,so everybody have the chance. But I still belive nobody is so close to the OGM like Ira.

Red Dog, you are right, when that big competitions start, I feel very nervous and I also feel like I am skating there...Ye, I will be jumping of joy if Irina wins!!! But if Kostner takes atleast Bronze, doesn't matter where (Olympics,Europeans,Worlds) and if Plusenko take OGM, I will be the happiest person on the World!!!
P.S....well,my signature tells everything...;)

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

soogar

Record Breaker
What's with the big, colored fonts? I can see your opinion clear enough.

The skater who deserves the medal is the one who skates the best.

The skaters who deserve the OGM the most is Klimkin and Savoie. I really don't give a sh!t what Slute and Michelle deserve b/c they have already won titles and made money in the sport. I like the underdogs who have had to struggle for years to stay inthe sport and work through difficulty.

Irina already got her gifts for almost dying.

Last edited:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Hey, at least Sarah made an effort to come back the following season to try and win the Nationals and/or Worlds, and tho the attempt at either wasn't succesful, at least she TRIED to add to that Olympic Gold, which is more than can be said of either Oksana Baiul or Tara Lipinski, who each had one fantastic 11-month period then were pretty much outa there.

But at least (I can't believe I'm saying this) Tara had already won a National title and a World title........she'd done it all, in her eyes, and decided to move on.....42

curious

Final Flight
Piel said:
I like her skating better so IMO she deserves tha OGM more. I think Irina's skating is not as pretty as Michelle's. Irina just doesn't have the flow and grace of Kwan. And she dosn't relate to the music and draw you into her performance like Kwan does. I can enjoy skating without the jumps but I can't enjoy skating with out that lyrical quality that Kwan brings to the ice. What I 've seen of Kwan's personality also impresses me more than Slutskaya's. It may not matter to the judges or to folks who want to see a beautiful sport turned into circus tricks to classical music but it matters to me. And that's what I like about Kwan.

That's all very nice but Irina does not need michell's grace and elegance to win a comp anymore,but michell really needs Irina's jumping abilities to challenge her and win,that's the diffrence:biggrin:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
And THAT's what some of us dislike about the new judging system. Pure tehnical elements are given more importance than the artistry that comes from within. And that is what I think divides skating fans the most. One side likes the technical elements and judge a skater just on how they perform them. The other side is more interested in the skater's relationship to and interpretation of the music which can not really be judged as easily. It's one of those things that is difficult to describe but you know it when you see it. I think this comes form wanting FS to be accepted more as sport, which it is, but it is also an art. Art is always going to be subjective and that can't be determined by points. Therefore if the sport continues in the direction it is in now skaters like Kwan and Lynn will be left out and I personally find that very sad.

euterpe

Medalist
slutskayafan21 said:
To be honest I have a picture in my mind of Arakawa being the one to do a stunning free program like the 2004 Worlds, and Slutskaya doing a cautious program with 1 or 2 mistakes or popped jumps, and Irina winning. At first thought that would seem like it should be a huge controversy; but then again Sasha did a cautious program, with one totally blown jumps, a couple of shaky landings, and still almost beat Arakawa's stunning FS at the 2004 Worlds, so who knows. :laugh:

That wasn't what happened. Sasha skated after Shizuka, and she was like a zombie, just mechanically going through jump after jump. She flubbed her first 3Z combo, then popped out of her final 3S. When the ordinals were displayed, she got 3 firsts out of 9.

Then KWAN skated lights out, and she got FOUR firsts out of nine. It was KWAN who almost beat Shizuka's FS, not Cohen.

The marks:

5.7 5.7 5.8 5.8 5.8 5.8 5.9 5.9 5.9 5.9 5.9 5.9 5.9 6.0 Arakawa
5.8 5.8 5.8 5.8 5.8 5.8 5.9 5.9 5.9 5.9 5.9 5.9 5.9 5.9

5.6 5.6 5.6 5.6 5.6 5.7 5.7 5.7 5.7 5.8 5.8 5.8 5.9 5.9 Kwan
5.7 5.7 5.8 5.8 5.8 5.9 5.9 5.9 6.0 6.0 6.0 6.0 6.0 6.0

5.6 5.6 5.6 5.7 5.7 5.7 5.7 5.7 5.7 5.7 5.7 5.8 5.8 5.9 Cohen
5.8 5.8 5.9 5.9 5.9 5.9 5.9 5.9 5.9 5.9 5.9 5.9 5.9 5.9

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
soogar said:
What's with the big, colored fonts? I can see your opinion clear enough.

The skater who deserves the medal is the one who skates the best.

The skaters who deserve the OGM the most is Klimkin and Savoie. I really don't give a sh!t what Slute and Michelle deserve b/c they have already won titles and made money in the sport. I like the underdogs who have had to struggle for years to stay inthe sport and work through difficulty.

Irina already got her gifts for almost dying.

Is there any problem "about my big colored fronts"? :sheesh:

How can you ever say that award for the best skater is money?! You must be crazy for thinking something like that.

Irina got her gifts for almost dying? What should that mean? If you don't like her, that's totaly your problem,but saying theese thing about her...hey...chill out...:disagree: Keep your opinion for yourself! :mad:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The big colored fonts are not only distracting, but big fonts convey SHOUTING. Very bad manners on discussion boards.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
euterpe said:
That wasn't what happened. Sasha skated after Shizuka, and she was like a zombie, just mechanically going through jump after jump. She flubbed her first 3Z combo, then popped out of her final 3S. When the ordinals were displayed, she got 3 firsts out of 9.

Then KWAN skated lights out, and she got FOUR firsts out of nine. It was KWAN who almost beat Shizuka's FS, not Cohen.

The marks:

Leave it to Slutskayafan21 to take an excellent Kwan performance and attribute it to another skater.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
euterpe said:

The marks:

Which is pretty amazing when you consider that Kwan only did 5 clean triples (one of them was close to not being clean).