Is Irina getting a bye to Olympics too? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Is Irina getting a bye to Olympics too?

FreeKatie

On the Ice
uh oh, what did I start here? LOL. I think the main point people have here on this discussion is that they would prefer to see a skater who has proven themselves over time to be the winner of the gold medal. While I agree with this, I think they still need to earn it the night that they skate.

It will be a shame for Plushenko, Michelle or whoever does not win an Olympic title, but it would be worse if they were "given" the title when they didn't deserve it (at least in my eyes).

It would also be great to see a beautiful artistic skater (like Klimkin) who has been around for a long time but with less accolades, finally get their 15 min. in.

I also agree w/ whoever said Tara and Sarah deserved their Olympic gold medals.

Last edited:

Fossi

Final Flight
Anythingforskating, are you really Irina coming here? I know she insulted Sarah before and it is offensive and disgusting. Poor sportsmanship and immature.
You are making yourself and Irina, unless you are the same person, look really bad right now.

Excidra2001

On the Ice
Fossi said:
Anythingforskating, are you really Irina coming here? I know she insulted Sarah before and it is offensive and disgusting. Poor sportsmanship and immature.
You are making yourself and Irina, unless you are the same person, look really bad right now.

I fail to see how this individual makes Irina look bad. And here I thought each individual should be held accountable for their 'own actions.
I hate for every Irina thread to turn into a bashfest so i'll refrain from asking any questions.

Edited to add: Who really cares who deserves Olympic gold. Fact is Olympic gold is won not given I get the impression that some of the posters on this board are teenagers.

Last edited:
Michelle has two repeat two Olympic Medals. Irina has one, too. These veterans deserve respect for hanging in there as well as admiration for their Olympic pasts.

Some top skaters have been in Olympics before and have no medal to show for it. Let's see how it all goes and stop worrying about the past.

Joe

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
Fossi said:

And have you ever heard that Michelle said that she doesn't want to quite before Olympics,because she wants to take that gold, and then she will stop?!

Irina? Saying things like those? NEVER!

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Michelle had never said anything about retiring until one of the recent magazine interviews that took place after her injuries. She has always said that she wanted to compete forever. BTW she would't be the first to win the OGM and leave eligible skating.

FreeKatie

On the Ice
Of coures MK will probably retire if she wins the gold and probably even if she doesn't. Her body is starting to rebel and she seems too sensible to continue when her body is telling her to STOP! Same goes for Irina - they aren't 'too old' but there is only so much a body can take.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
anything_for_skating said:
And have you ever heard that Michelle said that she doesn't want to quite before Olympics,because she wants to take that gold, and then she will stop?!

Irina? Saying things like those? NEVER!

Originally posted by WVGal57
Take it to the bank, Irina will retire after '06 season.

WVGal 57 is usually on top of everything concerning Irina.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Where to begin?? What a silly thread... (and why oh why can I NOT respond on silly threads??)

Irina is a great skater and an awesome champion but in order to win the gold, she will have to earn it. She deserves fortune & fame for her contributions to Russian figure skating. She doesn't deserve it because she's been sick. She doesn't deserve it because she lost the short program to Michelle in SLC.

Michelle is an awesome skater & ultimate champion but in order to win the gold, she will have to earn it by being healthy, making sure her programs are up to par and not letting the pressure get to her. She also deserves her fortune & fame because of her contributions to US figure skating and ability to transend the sport. She doesn't deserve the gold because of impressive string of wins. She REALLY doesn't deserve the gold because she missed it in '98 & '02.

If anyone honestly thinks that the ISU is looking forward to giving the OGM to anyone other than either these two remarkable young women, you are sadly mistaken. They've been trying to give it to both / either of them since '98. Unfortunately, neither one has sucked it up & given the performance that they are capable of... I hope its different in '06, but wouldn't be surprised if its not.

Figure skating will be under the microscope in Italy and ya better believe that for once, regardless of who's your favorite, the judges will score what is presented and the winner will be whoever skated the best on that night. Period. And all the ranting by crazed ubers on skating boards will not change that.

Let the games begin.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Irina is a great skater and an awesome champion but in order to win the gold, she will have to earn it.

Let's hope so, for the sake of the future of skating.

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
Red Dog said:
. I take it you feel Irina was "robbed" in SLC.
Don't feel bad, though. I'm sure you'll be jumping for joy in five weeks when Irina is crowned Olympic Champion. ;)
I've totaly forgot about this thread...but I really wanted to answer on this:

Yes,Irina was nothing but ROBBED in SLC!

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
anything_for_skating said:
I've totaly forgot about this thread...but I really wanted to answer on this:

Yes,Irina was nothing but ROBBED in SLC!

Yeah...robbed of bronze...:laugh: Sorry couldn't resist. No hard feelings.