US Natls - Pairs FINALS, 3:30 pm EST today! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

US Natls - Pairs FINALS, 3:30 pm EST today!

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Lanie said:
Katie and Garrett are staying home. I&B and H&P have been named to the Oly team.
Thanks, Lanie............that's the way it goes, I guess..........42

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
That's a tough call especially since they were the defending national champions.. I would love to hear what goes on at the selection meetings. Did they announce the team to the audience, and if so what was the reaction?

sk8fanconvert

On the Ice
Piel said:
That's a tough call especially since they were the defending national champions.. I would love to hear what goes on at the selection meetings. Did they announce the team to the audience, and if so what was the reaction?

They did not announce it in the arena.

I'm still pretty disappointed at the way they've scored H&P so high, both this year and last year, but O & L had a pretty horrible skate. It was sooo sad. Katie looked like she was going to cry all over again at the medal ceremony tonight.

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
sk8fanconvert said:
They did not announce it in the arena.

I'm still pretty disappointed at the way they've scored H&P so high, both this year and last year, but O & L had a pretty horrible skate. It was sooo sad. Katie looked like she was going to cry all over again at the medal ceremony tonight.

She did cry actually. I moved to the section next to judges for a better view and the bronze and pewter medal stands were right in front of me. Poor girl that was very sad.

But I am so pumped for John and Rena! That was an amazing feeling to witness a historic event like this. The crowd was on fire. Others mentioned it, but he always puts her first as far as getting the credit. That is so sweet! But the kiss!!! Go John and Rena!!!!!!

I was thrilled to see Naomi back in the Nationals. Looks like they did not get the score for their spectacular split lift (hands being on the hips vs the waist). At the time it felt that they got shafted. Hopefully by next year they will be more comfortable with the scoring system/rules and will get their due!

new_europe2006

Rinkside
I was so glad I/B won nationals and that the first throw 3axel was landed. They are possible dark horse contenders in Turin for a medal.

But I thought Nam and Leftharis should've been 2nd tonight even with getting no credit on one of their lifts. The other 2 teams just bored me to tears and I was yelling at the TV to hurry up their programs to get them over with.

Eeyora

Final Flight
Is it safe to say US pairs is out of the can?
While I am bummed about Nam/Letheris marks. It is safe to say barring breaup and injuries they will have an awesome future together.

Rena and John's historic throw 3Axel was just awesome to the nth degree! Although US pairs aren't the best in the World, they're getting there.

I too was bummed about the scores Nam and Leftharis received, but when they pointed out the mistake on the lift, you just had to chalk it up to a rookie mistake. They've only been together nine months, IIRC. With another year together, staying healthy, I can see them being really exciting.

Speaking of Rohene, Derrick Delmore is the skater he reminds me of (I couldn't remember Derrick's name earlier). They both have great, smooth flow but don't do so well on consistent jumps. I think Rohene would actually make a better ice dancer than pairs partner because of his beautiful flow.

Speaking of ice dancing, my second most favorite outcome was Jamie Silverstein and Ryan O' Meare making the Olympic team. Jamie has been through so much and has contributed so much by speaking out about her anorexia, it was just great to see her get to go to the Olympics now that she's ready. She looks great, too. Like an actual woman. I hope Sasha takes note that one can look great with more weight on, especially muscle weight for someone like Sasha, and not only skate well but probably skate even better. No implication that Sasha has an eating disorder.

The men's skater I would most like to see go to pairs is Ryan Bradley. He's tall, he's muscular, and he's twinkling-eyed gorgeous. IMO, Ryan is too tall and too old now to get anywhere in singles, but I bet he'd make a terrific pairs skater and partner.

OT: Did anybody else on the east coast have a messed up cable feed? The entire FD of Belbin and Agosto was a mess. The commercials came through perfectly, of course, which makes me think the problem was with ESPN. I was so POd that I didn't get to see Tanith and Ben, nor much of Jamie and Ryan either.

Final bummer: Didn't get to see Tiffany Stiegler and partner. I'll watch that girl perform anytime, anywhere.

Congrats to the pairs and dance Olympic teams!

Rgirl

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
John's 3T was rotated completely, but had a craptacular landing, AFAIR. Everything else was great.

Someone asked how I&B might do internationally. The international judges have always been quite kind to them, even with their inconsistent SBS jumps. It's worth remembering that at Skate America, they finished ahead of Obertas and Slavnov, even with John doubling a triple lutz in both the short and the long. They were at the GP Final last year. TEB had the best pairs skating of the year, and if John and Rena had skated exactly the same as they did there at some of the other competitions, they would have made it again. They are currently 8th in the ISU world standing.

Overlook their PCS scores. The USFSA is having a great time inflating everyone's PCS scores. John and Rena had a TES score of 66.89, if I copied it down correctly. For comparison, at the GPF:

Tatiana Totmianina / Maxim Marinin RUS 126.68 64.76 61.92 8.05 7.50 7.75 7.65 7.75 0.00 #6 2
Dan ZHANG / Hao ZHANG CHN 124.36 69.00 55.36 7.25 6.75 7.05 6.85 6.70 0.00 #3 3
Aliona SAVCHENKO / Robin SZOLKOWY GER 118.32 61.68 56.64 7.20 6.90 7.20 7.05 7.05 0.00 #4 4
Maria PETROVA / Alexei TIKHONOV RUS 116.00 59.96 57.04 7.50 6.85 7.20 7.05 7.05 1.00 #5 5
Qing PANG / Jian TONG CHN 110.40 56.20 55.20 7.15 6.70 6.95 6.85 6.85 1.00 #1 6
Julia OBERTAS / Sergei SLAVNOV RUS 109.92 57.64 53.28 6.80 6.35 6.75 6.80 6.60 1.00 #2

Only Zhang & Zhang have higher TES than Inoue and Baldwin with this program. I would love to see the detailed protocols to find out whether there are any inflated GOE's driving it, but it's still a very impressive number.

About selection for the Olympic team, I don't think there was any real discussion by the International committee. The first and second place teams go, that's it.

MM

76olympics

On the Ice
I am over the moon about I and B! HURRAH! If they can maintain the momentum and John can get past the SBS snafus---well, I can dream, can't I? For some reason, I have always been a big fan of theirs. It is so awesome to see them deliver!

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Thank you Doris..

Just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate your posts. As I try to learn more about sport, it's educational for me to read your reports. It helps me to better understand what I'm looking at. It was so nice to meet you along with the other GS'ers here!

DG

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I loved watching I and B........their flow across the ice is so amazing and mature. What's up with John's jumps? I remember watching him when he was a single skater, and I know he can land a triple toe!!!! 42

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I&B were awsome! You can tell he is crazy in love with Rena...that kiss was pretty spectacular too,LOL!

I thout NNN and partner were undermarked. Her split on the double twist is to die for. How interesting it would have been to have seen NNN and Sasha compete against each other...that could have been quite a rivalry.

Hope they show Tiffany Scott and new partner today.

The pairs FS is supposed to be repeated with the men's LP this afternoon according to Heather's schedule. TIVO just lists the Men's FS.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
When skating by himself in the warmup, he was landing the 3toe, too. Here's the problem with pair skaters: they are supposed to take off at exactly the same time, and close to each other. This screws up each skaters' timing to some extent. He also has been seen landing a 3lutz as long as he's skating by himself, so I'm told.

With the men, there's another problem. They bulk up to better throw and lift the ladies. This makes it harder for them to rotate, just from the mechanics of it.

With John, there is also a headcase issue that he seems to have gotten the better of, at least for this one performance.