Timothy Goebel's Swan Song? | Golden Skate

Timothy Goebel's Swan Song?

S

SkateFan4Life

It appears as though Timothy Goebel's eligible career will come to an end today, with him failing to qualify for the Olympic team. I hope I'm incorrect about this, but after watching his fifth-place short program, I think this will be his last competitive skate. He simply isn't the skater who earned the reputation of "Quad King", and without that jump he just isn't competitive with the other guys who have strong triples, spins, and choreography.

Mevrouw

Rinkside
Kurt Browning said that it WAS Tim's last Nationals skate, so he must have planned to leave competition before even skating.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Sad for Timmy. I think he seems like such a nice guy.

ilovepaydays

Rinkside
Yeah....but I think he will be fine in whatever he does next. I think he looking TOO MUCH forward to his life after skating.

Johar

Medalist
It sounded like he was going to take a year off from all skating. Do you think he will come back and skate as a pro?

Lcp88

On the Ice
Too bad Goebel couldn't go out with a bang, my heart went out to him and Weiss today, though I have to admit I was chanting "COME IN FOURTH COME IN FOURTH!!" during Mike's for the sake of Matt Savoie, who was excellent today.

Tim doesn't strike me as the type who wants to really tour. Maybe a few professional shows, or tour with Stars on Ice for a season? I just don't think he'll stick around.

From an article on Yahoo:

-------------------------

Goebel won the 2002 Olympic bronze and was expected to be a dominant American. Instead, injuries, coaching changes and some downright ugly performances plagued Goebel. He skated pretty well at the 2005 nationals, but was 10th at last year's world championships, beginning another slump that ran through this event.

The Quad King even struggled with the four-revolution jump that has been his province alone among Americans. And he popped both triple-axel attempts, totally offsetting his improved presentation.

When he left the ice on the verge of tears, he didn't even acknowledge the crowd, a sad ending for the 2001 national champ.

"I don't know. I don't know what's wrong with me," he said. "I wasted four years of my life. I don't know what I'm going to do now."

(c. Barry Wilner, AP)

:cry:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Actually, Elvis Stojko is considered the original "Quad King" as he earned the title first, Tim is the second. Sad his competitive career ended on such a low note. Elvis too had to eventually hang up his competitive skates due to injury. I think the Quad Kings pay a price.

S

SkateFan4Life

It was sad to see Timothy Goebel skate a less than stellar long progarm and wind up in fifth place. He's had a wonderful career, with numerous US medals, two World silver medals, and the 2002 Olympic bronze medals. With all the injuries he's had, however, he simply wasn't the same skater who won bronze at the Olympics, and given his limited artistry, he really, really needs to score as many points for the jumps as he possibly can.