US Nationals: Men's Long | Page 2 | Golden Skate

US Nationals: Men's Long

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I thought Matt was just absolutely FANTASTIC; it's been a long time since I've seen, in National Men's, that many flawlessly skated elements (except for fall on lutz, of course) all tied so beautifully together, and yes, I am taking Johnny's last 2 Nationals into consideration when I say that. Matt used almost every note of his music in his choreography and there was always something interesting going on.

I liked Evan's program, too, but I agree that he was scored rather highly; I did find the choreography very interesting, tho.

Johnny did fine but I feel he could have used the music better and there seemed to be too much gliding around for my taste.

Michael's program, IMO, was actually, from a choreographic point of view, the most interesting long program he's had in quite some time -- well, basically since Mrs. Weiss took over his choreography. It was the first time in a few years that he actually didn't bore me. I thought that Tim, too, had, for him, a pretty well choreographed and presented effort as well; too bad the jumps weren't there.

Scott Smith's program was a huge surprise for me. When he finished 4th a couple seasons ago, I just couldn't understand what the deal was. But he was really good this afternoon and his program was terrific. If we were doing the old "placement system" and I were a judge, I would have actually placed him 2nd or 3rd behind Savoie and possibly Weir.

As for Ryan Bradley -- I REALLY TRULY WISH THIS GUY WOULD GET SERIOUS. IN MORE WAYS THAN ONE. It seems inexcusable to me that ANY long program done to "Saturday Night Fever" would be THAT BORING. I kept expecting him to every now and then flash a few moments of brilliant footwork or something really clever among all that meandering about (like he did with his "Devil Went Down to Georgia" a couple years ago), but there was NOTHING there. He seems to have been laboring under the impression that merely flashing that devillish eye twinkle of his would suffice as some form of artistic impression. Well, guess what? It didn't. And ordinarily I would just write this off as just another flat long program that didn't really work, but I really think that he's got some SERIOUS TALENT, based on stuff I've seen him do in the past, and I get really annoyed when I see a skater with so much potential put together a free skate that dull.

Jasper

Final Flight
K-Mo said:
I thought they were inflated, too. They were clearly ready for him to take it all, and the end result was a little too close for my comfort. I thought Savoie skated so well and his skate tonight reflected that he desorves a spot. While I think that Lysacek does deserve a spot, he has yet to live up to all the hype that's been surrounding him since last year's Worlds.

I disagree because he has backed up the Bronze at Worlds with the best American male results in international competition this season. I also think his choreography and personality is great on the ice. He makes "Carmen" a real treat.

Having said that, his and all the other skaters' scores were majorly inflated.

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Parody alert...

But first let me say how happy I am with the men's team this year. I hope all three of them skate their best next month, regardless of placement. And go, Matt! :love:
Once again, the men's event at Nationals inspired me to parody. Before Rohene even finished his short program, I was singing "Rohene, Rohene, Rohene, Rohene..." I finished it this afternoon. Hopefully you're all familiar with Dolly Parton's "Jolene":

(Chorus)
Rohene, Rohene, Rohene, Rohene
I think I could become your biggest fan
Rohene, Rohene, Rohene, Rohene
You could be the best in all the land

He comes from the Land of Lakes
And does amazing things on skates
This handsome man with build so long and lean
With his own choreography
And awesome flexibility
Those boys will never skate like you, Rohene

You took the ice and I was awed
No matter that you blew the quad
There's no denying your talent, Rohene
How I hoped you'd come back strong
And blow the roof off with your long
And maybe make the Olympic team, Rohene

(Chorus)

Your falls put you into last place
And took you out of this year's race
But we've seen what you can do, Rohene
I hope to see you back next year
Looking down on Johnny Weir
From the top step of the poduim, Rohene

(Chorus)

Rohene (Rohene!)

I don't think I've ever managed a more topical parody. Now perhaps, a lament for Michael, to the tune of "La Donna e Mobile"...
So far, this has been quite a Nationals. Big thanks to Doggygirl and the rest of you at rinkside for your posts!
Now, goooooooooooo, Bebe!
xoxo
Rave

kyla2

Final Flight
Matt!!

Matt was fabulous! I am so glad he is going to the Olympics. He absolutely deserves it. i coudln't be happier for him. Johnnie skated very well but his music is awful and the program is flat.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am thrilled to pieces for Matt! Finally, justice was done and he'll go to Torino! :party: I do feel bad for Mike, and was hoping that he would make the Olympic team. Classical music suits him well. I loved Johnny's SP, felt he skated his LP well, although the music choice was kind of flat. I like Evan's skating a lot, but was puzzled by his final placement over Matt.

I was very impressed with Scott Smith and very touched by the interaction of Rohene & his mom. :cry:

Why can't ABC/ESPN show Ryan Jahnke? :mad:

Ravyn, :clap: :clap: :clap: :laugh: :rock:

I agree with everyone who said that Johnny Weir needs better music. Is it too late to change before the Olympics?

The trouble with techno in general is that it is the same beat, the same tempo, the same loudness, over and over, for the whole four and a half minutes. There is no opportunity to show any variation of mood, no big crescendos to lead up to highlighted elements, it just drones on -- rather like Johnny's performance last night. (Unlike the short, where he was in a zone :love: ).

MM :)

K-Mo

On the Ice
Jasper said:
I disagree because he has backed up the Bronze at Worlds with the best American male results in international competition this season.

The same could be said of Alissa for the ladies, but that doesn't hold a lot of water. Lysacek was up against a weaker field than Johnny at the GP. Also, I think that without his injury, Johnny would have fared better. I am not crazy about Johnny's music, but I am also not crazy about Evan's flailing limbs.

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Thanks, Mathman!

I just posted the newest parody on the Johnny Weir exhibition thread - done to "My Way", of course!
Such fun!
xoxo
Rave

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
K-Mo said:
but I am also not crazy about Evan's flailing limbs.

I think he's gotten a little better with that; I thought they were a little more under control than they were 2 years ago, when I never saw anyone FLOUNCE around so much on the ice in my life......

Rohene, Rohene. He's figure skating active volcano. When he erupts, he will melt down the entire field and win his World's gold.

One little anecdote. I was sitting in 3rd row off the ice on the curve. After he kind of messed up most of his routine, he came down to our area just before turning around and starting his straightline footwork. He looked up at all of us and made such a sad but amusing face like I really botched that up didn't I?

We all roared for him. He has charisma.

Joe

emma

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Rohene, Rohene. He's figure skating active volcano. When he erupts, he will melt down the entire field and win his World's gold.

One little anecdote. I was sitting in 3rd row off the ice on the curve. After he kind of messed up most of his routine, he came down to our area just before turning around and starting his straightline footwork. He looked up at all of us and made such a sad but amusing face like I really botched that up didn't I?

We all roared for him. He has charisma.

Joe

Aw, that's cute in a sad way. I truly hope to see this guy skate...with his difficulties in competition I wonder if he'll stay in the game. But, he is truly amazing.