Kwan chosen by committee to go to Olys. | Golden Skate

Kwan chosen by committee to go to Olys.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I just heard that the committee picked her for the third spot to go to the olys. good for her. That said, Emily gets shafted.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Hopefully Michelle approaches this Olympics with a different approach. It is not like 98 or 2002 when she is expected to win. This time around a top 5 finish would be incredable for her. Hopefully she goes in with realistic goals, and realizes this is the time to enjoy the experience, and not feel stressed out, since her chances are not as serious as the other two times, not even close. It is Michelle's turn to finally enjoy the Olympics without real pressure of trying to win gold.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Kwan is dangerous as the underdog.

Reserve your chickens and Junior Mints now!:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

R.D.

Record Breaker
geisha said:
anyway based on both her SP and LP.

I'm sure most of the skaters went into this with the mindset of MK already getting a spot on the team and the top two spots being up for grabs. That said, I do think the third place finisher (in this case, Hughes) gets the shaft. But if Kwan can't go for any reason, Hughes needs to be ready to fill in for her. I don't know how I would feel in that position.

swannanoa54

On the Ice
I don't think I'll eat chicken and Junior Mints. They don't really go together very well. But I do think that Kwan is very dangerous as an underdog. Even one coming back from injuries. Very dangerous! If I were any other skater, I'd feel her breath HOT on my shoulder.:laugh:

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Horray for MK! I do feel bad for Emily, but she will have other chances in the future and her LP did have its share of mistakes. The fact that her international record is very thin probably played a role. If Alissa had finished 3rd, it might have been a different story.

Lcp88

On the Ice
I agree that Hughes is in a rough position, but Michelle does deserve to go, IMO. Also something about Emily's spinning seemed....off? Like, not as good and fast and secure as they could be? I couldn't pin it down, but it bothered me a little.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Have they named the World team yet? AFAIK Kwan only petitioned for the Olympics. It is possible that Emily will go to Worlds, also 4C.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Here's the link to USFS's decision
http://www.usfsa.org/event_story.asp?id=32534

From Kwan's petition...

“I would be pleased if representatives of USFS attended and observed my practice session in Los Angeles, California on or about January 20th and a run through of my short and long programs, again in California, on January 27th or 28th. The purpose of the latter would be to assure the USFS observers that my programs contain the technical elements necessary for an Olympic level performance, and to give further assurances to the USFS that my prior injury will not prevent me from being physically ready to compete at the highest level at the 2006 Winter Olympic Games on February 21, 2006. Should those USFS representatives, after observing my short and long programs on January 27th or 28th, determine, in their sole discretion, that my programs do not contain the technical elements necessary for an Olympic level performance, or that my prior injury will prevent me from being physically ready to compete at the highest level at the 2006 Winter Olympic Games on February 21, 2006, I will withdraw from the team. Thank you for your consideration.”

Good for Michelle! IMO, she deserves it based on the main criteria of the panel: They want to send the skaters who are most likely to win medals and Michelle can do that. Emily, as well as Kimmie and Alissa are up in the air when it comes to that--Alissa had two great events and two meltdowns, so she's still an unknown IMO, albeit one with more international experience than the two others.

Perhaps Michelle's injuries came about as she tried to push herself in a new style of choreography, Tarasova's, and also adapt herself fully to the COP. I would think Michelle has now worked out the kinks and is both better adapted to TAT's moves and also knows how far she can push herself. Maybe the surprise at these Olympics will be that the skater who isn't a surprise will finally win. :)

ITA about Emily. Her SP showed her strengths, but even that was rough around the edges. Her LP showed her weaknesses and IMO she's just got too many right now to go to the Olympics when Michelle is an option. But as Emily gains experience, BeBe too, watch out!

One reason I'm glad Michelle is going is that I've been dying to see the LP Tarasova choreographed for her! Plus I think this is the first time Michelle has had programs choreographed by a COP master. The Olympic ladies event just got a whole lot more interesting for me because now I get to see if my prediction that Michelle will win the gold and have a complete set of Olympic medals will come true.

Chicken and Junior Mints? That's gotta be a Kwaniac thing, right? I'm all for hoping Kwan wins gold, but eating chicken and Junior Mints is simply going too far.;)

Now the real food question is, Will Piel eat her words about Mark Mitchell being on the panel?:laugh: Just kidding. After all, we don't know how he voted.

The other food question is, Will Sasha please eat more before the Olympics?

Rgirl

Last edited:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I read somewhere that several members of the committee were recused because of various conflicts of interest.

RGirl how am I supposed to eat words, chicken,and Junior Mints..my mouth is not THAT big:biggrin: Yes, it's a Kwan thing. JM's are Shelley's favorite candy. Over at MKF intheir FAQ's it explains the chiken and JM thing, LOL.

emma

Record Breaker
Rgirl said:
Good for Michelle! IMO, she deserves it based on the main criteria of the panel: They want to send the skaters who are most likely to win medals and Michelle can do that. Emily, as well as Kimmie and Alissa are up in the air when it comes to that--Alissa had two great events and two meltdowns, so she's still an unknown IMO, albeit one with more international experience than the two others...

ITA about Emily. Her SP showed her strengths, but even that was rough around the edges. Her LP showed her weaknesses and IMO she's just got too many right now to go to the Olympics when Michelle is an option. But as Emily gains experience, BeBe too, watch out!

One reason I'm glad Michelle is going is that I've been dying to see the LP Tarasova choreographed for her! Plus I think this is the first time Michelle has had programs choreographed by a COP master. The Olympic ladies event just got a whole lot more interesting for me because now I get to see if my prediction that Michelle will win the gold and have a complete set of Olympic medals will come true...

Rgirl

I couldn't agree more....and seriously, I've been waiting impatiently to see Michelle's and Tat's collaboration...at this point, I'd almost be happy just knowing what the music is.

Now, wouldn't be really cool if Kwan stuck around for one more nationals, and worked with David Wilson?!?

I'm still so surprised that the Olympic team was only one placemente away from being the same (same last names) as 2002...and I do hope Emily sticks around because she has a lot of talent and is fun to watch.

paralegalmkfan

Rinkside
millie said:
Kwan is going to have to pull a Forest Gump in a very short time.:rofl: :rofl:

I mostly lurk and very seldom post, but I have to say this. You are truly one of the most annoying people on this board ~ and you're not funny. Well, maybe in your own mind you are. :sheesh:

millie

Medalist
paralegalmkfan said:
I mostly lurk and very seldom post, but I have to say this. You are truly one of the most annoying people on this board ~ and you're not funny. Well, maybe in your own mind you are. :sheesh:

What did I say that was so wrong in my post? I was stating an opinion! The girl has been injured all season, hasn't skated or trained because she has been injured. Could hardly walk for awhile and seeing doctors. Any of this sound familiar or are living in a dream world with the:bow: :bow: :bow: .Face reality, the girl is going to have to work her -ut of within the next few days to get herself back into shape and true form. She probaly can do it, but wouldn't you like to see her pull a Forrest Gump and not to have to go through all the pain of trying to get into shape.

Lurk--to stay hidden, ready to spring out, attack, lie in wait.
Are you a lurker?

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
The vote was 20-3 in Michelle's favor.....could have been Mitchell.....Anyway, Michelle as an underdog is always a fighter, so watch out Italy. Best of luck to all three ladies and stay well and healthy.......42

Jhar55

Medalist
Ok, first I am a Michelle fan and Yes I hope she does go and is able to have the skate of her life.
BUT IMO, Emily needs to go stay somewhere close to the Olympics, that way when shes called to go she won't have far to travel. I am only saying this because I don't think Michelle will be going, I think she will pull out because she really not ready.

amykaren

On the Ice
Michelle deserves to go if she is ready, Im suprised that theres even any controversy about it. Best of luck to her there! :agree: