I was somewhat disappointed... | Golden Skate

I was somewhat disappointed...

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I have to say, both Jeff and Emanuel and Joannie's free skates were somewhat disappointing. Joannie needs to work on a few parts of her program - he spiral sequence is a bit akward and she can't mess up on her jumps like she did at Canadians when she skates at the Olympics.

Jeff did not seem to be as in tune with his program as I expected. He is going to really have to get this one under his belt before the Olympics. I am not so sure if the Quad should be part of it, it's too risky.

Emanuel - well what can I say? Tracy said he did not experience meltdown. That is true, but I am not crazy about his program and don't know how it will stand up against the rest of the field. He needs a better program.

I don't know - it was a weird Canadians. The top three skaters we are pinning our Olympic hopes on did not exactly light up the arena with stellar performances.

I know skaters are supposed to hold back and peak at the right time, but one does like to see some inspiration on home ice.

Well, they all have some work to do before the Olympics and not a lot of time. let's hope they are ready for Torino!!!

Lanie

On the Ice
Better Joannie doesn't peak at Canadians than at Olympics like last year with that amazing Firebird--then a meltdown at Worlds! I'm glad Joannie and Jeff weren't perfect... that means they're pacing themselves for the Olympics. I've not seen their programs but I'll download them... I really like the both of them!

rain

Record Breaker
Yeah, on the one hand it would have been nice to see some cleaner performances, but on the other hand I also agree with Lanie that perhaps the few errors by these skaters is a good thing, giving them something to work on to peak towards Olympics, rather than leaving their best on home ice. Guess only time will tell. The one of the three that impressed me most was Buttle, who I thought was actually really in synch with his new/old program. He really sold it, despite his errors and I think his performance was indicative of a move in the right direction if he wants a spot on the Olympic podium. I do think he has some considering to do on the subject of the quad. If there a jump combo he can throw in there that will be worth almost as many points, it might well behoove him to do it. He hasn't landed the quad all season in competition and the pressure cooker of the Olympics probably isn't the place to hope for such a first. His triple axel on the other hand is looking really good and solid now, and I think he can easily turn one of them into a triple/triple combo, which should give him some huge points.
On the other hand, even when he falls on the quad but rotates it he gets some big points and the attempt puts him in the league of the big guns, perhaps, in the eyes of the judges.....says he's going for gold, not just bronze. It's going to be a tough call.

chania36

On the Ice
Just a little reminder, Jeff is braking new boots right now, I know this is not an excuse but he felt quite uncomfortable since they are new, so he was quite tendative on the landings.