Do you think Kimmie could ... | Golden Skate

Do you think Kimmie could ...

CDMM1991

Medalist
Medal at an extremely watered down Worlds? Let's say Suguri, Cohen, Kwan, Slutskaya, Arakawa all skip 2006 Worlds. Kimmie has the skate of her life. Could she slip in for the bronze?

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
That's really the majority of the international field! In that circumstance, with the skate of her life I'd say she could win!!

cmego500

Rinkside
anything_for_skating said:
Kostner,Kostner...Kostner should win :agree:

But then she couldn't even win against a somewhat weak field earlier in the grand prix season.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
If she skates like she did last night, without the last-minute fall, and THAT MANY people are missing, oh yes.

According to last nights' announcement, Emily Hughes will also be on the U.S. Worlds team.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
new_europe2006 said:
I think Kimmie could medal at Worlds if a lot of skaters don't show up at Worlds.

LOL, I could medal at World's if a lot of skaters don't show up...like the top 1000 in the world.:laugh: :laugh:

Kasey

Medalist
Even if those you listed do not show up, you still have the Canadian ladies, the other two Russian ladies, the other Japanese ladies, Poykio, Sebestyn....I think there still would be quite a challenge for the medals. I doubt it would be a shoe-in, but yes, possible.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
new_europe2006 said:
She's a much better skater than any of us on here.

I think that's I given. I don't skate.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: But I have managed a Sasasplat here and there without even being on the ice...is that talent or what?

new_europe2006

Rinkside
Kasey said:
Even if those you listed do not show up, you still have the Canadian ladies, the other two Russian ladies, the other Japanese ladies, Poykio, Sebestyn....I think there still would be quite a challenge for the medals. I doubt it would be a shoe-in, but yes, possible.

Kimmie does face challenges from Roachette and Nakano but not from any of the Russian ladies or Poykio or Sebestyen.

new_europe2006

Rinkside
Piel said:
I think that's I given. I don't skate.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: But I have managed a Sasasplat here and there without even being on the ice...is that talent or what?

I give you the highest score possible for that. :biggrin:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think Kimmie has potential. But even with a full arsenal, Nats showed that she can't measure up with the best in the world. Maybe the highest she could hope for at the olys is 10th place. Then again- stranger things have happened. I'm not counting ANY possibility out.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Kimmie, if she works very hard, could be the American Nelidina or perhaps even the American Leung this year.

She looks a lot better on TV than she does live, even when she's completing the jumps. She skates very, very juniorish, and may well be plagued with mediocre PCS grades. Not to mention that I expect the international callers and judges will continue to be more unforgiving of her tendency to underrotate those 3/3's.

I hope that a couple of years she will gain some more polish, but right now, I find her very overhyped. IMO, both Bebe and Emily have tons more charm on the ice live.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
mzheng said:
I doubt emily's National LP could pass through worlds' qualify round.

Speaking as someone who has personally watched a couple of 24th-place long programs at Worlds (24th of course being the cutoff for making the final), I think Emily could hold her own quite well. If people like Karen Venhuizen and Candice Didier can make it out of qualifying, I think Emily could.

soogar

Record Breaker
mzheng said:
I doubt emily's National LP could pass through worlds' qualify round.

Didn't Michelle's mistake ridden LP pass her QR? Didn't she land only 3 triples and have a few falls? I think Emily will more than make it out of QR. Plus Emily will improve upon her performance.

R.D.

Record Breaker
soogar said:
Didn't Michelle's mistake ridden LP pass her QR? Didn't she land only 3 triples and have a few falls? I think Emily will more than make it out of QR. Plus Emily will improve upon her performance.

I think she should be able to make it out of the QR but remember- MK is at a higher level so a so-so performance is still technically "better" than a good performance from a lower-level skater. Also- it's not a total guarantee that Emily will be better than at Nats. She could give into pressure, too.