Tanith Belbin & Ben Agosto's Patriotic Exhibition | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Tanith Belbin & Ben Agosto's Patriotic Exhibition

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
They only used two lines of lyrics from the song.

American woman stay away from me
American woman mama let me be

The rest was all music. I think their intent was to introduce themselves as born in the U.S.A. and an American woman.

What is all of the uproar over Tanith's COSTUMES? She's not wearing them down Main Street. For the exhibition all that showed was from about an inch below her waist to right below where her bra would be.
She exposed no more than someone wearing a midrif top. The skirt wasn't even THAT short. As for her competition dresses they have illusion fabric (fake flesh) all over the places that look like bare. The ice dancers dress skirts are much longer than the singles and pairs skaters ladies. I live in the Bible Belt and our cheerleaders, majorettes, and flag corp girls wear skimpier costumes than anything I've seen on skaters. Yikes, I would have hated to run into any of you in my younger years.

Anyone who is at normal body weight and well toned ribs would show in that position.

Last edited:

Kara Bear

Final Flight
Piel said:
Anyone who is at normal body weight and well toned ribs would show in that position.

LOL, I guess it struck me because I haven't seen my own ribs like that in years. :rofl:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Piel said:
They only used two lines of lyrics from the song.

American woman stay away from me
American woman mama let me be

The rest was all music. I think their intent was to introduce themselves as born in the U.S.A. and an American woman. ...

I wonder if Tanith was introducing herself as an "American woman" or if the "American woman" they were referring to was Mama Mitchell. Seriously, though, if I recall this correctly, Tara Lipinski skated to this song, so maybe they thought it was OK.

boggartlaura

On the Ice
Piel said:
This is very true. You can be at a fairly average weight and still have your ribs show when you arch you back.

LADskater said:
The song is actually putting down the US - it's an anti-war song. If she is trying to be patriotic, she is skating to the wrong tune.
Maybe she is exercising her unalienable right as an American citizen to protest government policy. :rock:

Like a couple of seasons ago when Michael Weiss skated to the anti-war song, When Johnny Comes Marching Home.

When Johnny comes marching home again, hurrah! hurrah!
We'll give him a hearty welcome then, hurrah! hurrah!
The men will cheer and the boys will shout,
The ladies, they will all turn out,
And we'll all be gay when
Johnny comes marching home.

**GASP**

Oh, where are your legs that used to run? hurrah! hurrah!
Where are your legs that used to run? hurrah! hurrah!
Where are your legs that used to run
When first you went to carry a gun --
Indeed your dancin' days are done,
Oh Johnny, I hardly knew ya.

And where are your eyes that were so mild? hurrah! hurrah!
Where are your eyes that were so mild? hurrah! hurrah!
Where are your eyes that were so mild,
When first my young heart you beguiled?
Oh, why did you run from me and the child?
Oh Johnny, I hardly knew ya.

Oh, you haven't an arm and you haven't a leg, hurrah! hurrah!
You haven't an arm and you haven't a leg, harrah! hurrah!
You haven't an arm and you haven't a leg,
You're a limbless, featureless, chickenless egg,
And you'll have to be put with a bowl to beg.
Oh Johnny, I hardly knew ya'.

S

SkateFan4Life

Ladskater said:
Oh brother.....

OK, Ladskater, I understand that perhaps you aren't exactly thrilled that Tanith decided to become an American citizen and that she and Ben aren't skating for Canada in the Olympics. That's OK. I might feel the same way if Ben decided to obtain Canadian citizenship and skate for Canada.

Sure, "American Woman" is hardly a complimentary song about America. Anyone who can read and/or listen to the lyrics is aware of that. I remember when the song first came out. My reaction was - "YUK!" However, as I wrote previously in this thread, I think we all need to give Tanith and Ben a break about their choice of exhibition music. After all, they had just gone through a long, emotional roller-coaster year in which they did not know until the last moment that Tanith would receive her US citizenship.

I remember the Aaron Copeland medley that Brian Boitano used for his 1994 season long program. It was a bit ponderous, but it contained some wonderful music, including selections from "Billy the Kid", and "Appalacian Spring".

Personally, I think the "American Hymn" from "East of Eden" would have been a lovely number for Tanith and Ben to skate to. It would have been a more serious number, but, again, it was their choice. :biggrin: