Irina's Wish For Michelle | Golden Skate

Irina's Wish For Michelle

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
(Warning: The article contains spoilers)

This was really nice to see: This article from cnnsi.com mentions that Irina and Michelle will skate to the same music for their short programs, then says that Michelle was named to the name but will have to show that she is ready. After that is the following quote from Irina:

"I wish to see her at the Olympics, and I wish to see her on the podium,'' Slutskaya said.

Here is a link to the full article (again, this contains spoilers): http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...ap.fig.european.championships.0461/index.html

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I'm sure Irina understands -- none better -- how much going to Torino will mean to Michelle, and she probably has a higher regard for Michelle than many members of the American press. They seem to have a genuine regard and respect for each other.

dfj

On the Ice
hrmsk8ngnutt said:
"I wish to see her at the Olympics, and I wish to see her on the podium,'' Slutskaya said.

Nicely said. And it doesn't surprise me - both ladies seem to have a genuine affection for each other.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
They've both been around for quite awhile and I'm sure appreciate each other's longevity. It's nice to know they have a high regard for each other. 42

R.D.

Record Breaker
This comes as no surprise at all. Obviously they are good friends, but it's interesting since they had a pretty fierce rivalry in the past.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I think they are more friendly rivals, if that, who speak well of each other to the press. They tour together with COI and compete against one another. I don't think there is a relationship at all.other than that. Both know what to say and when to say it...usually.

heyang

Record Breaker
We've discussed this long ago. IMO, there's is a work related friendship. You have lots in common at work and can do the occasional lunch. You have fun at work related functions. However, when either leave the 'job', you lose your commonality and just have fond remembrances. Occasionally, the work friendship can extend beyond the workplace and beyond the job, but it's based upon having more than just work in common.

Still, I think Irina is sincere in hoping to see Michelle on the second or third step of the podium next month.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Mathman, you are right, although Irina did say, after SLC, that she would have minded less if she had been beaten by Michelle, instead of being beaten by Sarah. Does anyone know how often it has been that Michelle and Irina have been together on a podium?

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Still, I think Irina is sincere in hoping to see Michelle on the second or third step of the podium next month.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: But how happy do you think she will be to see her on the first?

soogar

Record Breaker
hrmsk8ngnutt said:
(Warning: The article contains spoilers)

Here is a link to the full article (again, this contains spoilers): http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/winter_sports/wires/01/18/2080.ap.fig.european.championships.0461/index.html

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

Maybe Irina's wish will come true and Michelle will finish higher than her on the podium. ( I wish there was an EVILLE icon here).

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
soogar said:
Maybe Irina's wish will come true and Michelle will finish higher than her on the podium. ( I wish there was an EVILLE icon here).

Stop it... you are so bad... :laugh:

Irina has always given the impression that only she & Michelle are worthy of winning anything from the OGM to the Publisher's Clearing House sweepstakes and I'd hazard a guess that the feeling is mutual... Gotta love the two divas...

Vash01

Medalist
I am sure Irina has a lot of respect for Michelle, and perhaps vice a versa. These two have competed against each other so many years, gone through ups and downs, toured together. I think if Michelle is not at the Olympics, Irina might miss her. She expressed her sentiments nicely. I am sure that even Irina realizes that Michelle could actually beat her in the standings, but it is nice to see such a nice rivalry between these two.

Vash

attyfan said:
I'm sure Irina understands -- none better -- how much going to Torino will mean to Michelle, and she probably has a higher regard for Michelle than many members of the American press. They seem to have a genuine regard and respect for each other.
Couldn't say it better myself. ITA.

Rgirl

Piel said:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: But how happy do you think she will be to see her on the first?
HEY, JOE! How come Piel gets three ROFL and you didn't call her out, but you did Millie for having two?

Come on, now. Equal :rofl: under the law, right?

Piel, you use as many :rofl: or any emoticons as you want. Millie too and everybody, the same-- if I had anything to say about it.:biggrin:

Rgirl

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Emoticon censorship...no way. Especially picking on the poor little :rofl: he has no arms! Of course :rofl: does have legs. I still think:rofl: looks more like kicking and screaming than ROFL. Does anyone know if it is possible to stand :rofl: upright so that :rofl: would look like a chorus line?
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl::rofl:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Let me add that:rofl: would sometimes like to:agree: ,:bow: ,:clap: ,:rock: ,:think: or:boohoo: but nooooo :rofl: can only:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: . So everyone needs to be a little kinder to:rofl: and let:rofl: do what:rofl: do which is :rofl:.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Piel said:
Emoticon censorship...no way. Especially picking on the poor little :rofl: he has no arms! Of course :rofl: does have legs. I still think:rofl: looks more like kicking and screaming than ROFL. Does anyone know if it is possible to stand :rofl: upright so that :rofl: would look like a chorus line?
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl::rofl:

OK, I found the REAL rule on the emoticon limits. It's 15. I quoted Piels post, but added one more ROFL emoticon in my reply, and I got an error message saying that my post exceeded the 15 emoticon limit..... My original response that errored out asked this question: Do we get in trouble for quoting posts with more than 2 *insert emoticon*? Or only if we originate more than 2?

PML over that error!! And more laughter sans emoticons over the upright ROFL's in a chorus line. You notice the funniest things!

DG