Kurt Browning is forever the Best! | Golden Skate

Kurt Browning is forever the Best!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I should have posted this days ago... but I was just so busy with nationals that I didn't feel I had time to gush... so I am now! LOL

Ok so I was at the US Nationals all week and I went to the first book signing Kurt had there that Sunday. I was going with a couple of friends who bought the book the previous day (they were selling for 20 bucks at nationals UGH! lol) and I was just going to go so that I could take their picture with him. It wasn't long after we got there that I decided to pay the 20 bucks for my own copy (he was RIGHT there I couldn't NOT have the book, right? LOL) and we all stood in line. When we got up to him I set my book down and he was very nice and talkative (don't ask me what we talked about I have no clue lol but I know Nyah was one of the subjects lol) and I just looked back at my friend and said something about how Duane would be really bummed he didn't get to come see Kurt.

**Duane is my adopted brother. When he was 4 he was put in teh fostercare system and that is how we got him. He's been in our lives for almost 7 years now. When he was first in our home I was big on Kurt compilations and so we watched a lot of Kurt and Duane fell in love with him. He still carries a picture we printed off the internet in his wallet. Kurt's always been his hero, which is awesome in so many ways**

Anyway back to the story. I guess Kurt overheard because he looked up from signing my book and asked me who Duane was. This was perfect because I'd promised Duane that if I met Kurt that I'd let him know his biggest fan was 10 years old and lived in Alaska lol. So I explained to him who Duane was and then told him that he'd started skating earlier this year (before he was adopted his biological father still had a say in what we could let him do and skating was out because it'd make him gay. I hate his "father") and that he wanted to be just like Kurt. Kurt then looked to the lady that was helping him with the signing (and who had extra books) and said "give me one of those" and he asked how to spell Duane's name.

That's when I freaked because I hate getting free stuff because I say something that gives them a feeling that they need to give me something. I tried to talk him out of he but he stopped me and said that it was a birthday gift from Duane's biggest fan to Duane and that I was just the way he could make sure that it got in the right hands. By this point I was ready to just break down and cry right there. So he signed it in the front of the book saying "To Duane, Have Fun. Yours, Kurt Browning" and then he signed the "Q" page with a happy birthday message.

I got my picture with him too, and I have this stupid smile on my face because I was trying not to cry (and I didn't until I got back to my hotel room).

So I wanted to share and gush about Kurt. I always knew he was a sweet guy, but I didn't know just how much.

Kurt rules all!

Awwww. Thanks, Toni.

You made it back to your hotel room, but I broke down along about "I tried to talk him out of he but he stopped me and said that it was a birthday gift from Duane's biggest fan to Duane and that I was just the way he could make sure that it got in the right hands."

Kurt rocks! :rock: :love:

So does Duane!

And you're not so bad yourself.

Mathman :)

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Aww. What a sweetie! You must post a pic of Dwayne receiving his gift.:agree:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Mathman said:
You made it back to your hotel room, but I broke down along about "I tried to talk him out of he but he stopped me and said that it was a birthday gift from Duane's biggest fan to Duane and that I was just the way he could make sure that it got in the right hands."
Me too! Yay to Kurt the Santa Claus!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Piel said:
Aww. What a sweetie! You must post a pic of Dwayne receiving his gift.:agree:

you are soooooooo lucky Duane doesn't read golden skate... he'd be freaking out that you spelled his name wrong lol (don't worry, Kurt went to spell it wrong too even after I told him the spelling, but I caughth him before he made an oops lol)

and MM you rock more! ;)

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tonichelle said:
That's when I freaked because I hate getting free stuff because I say something that gives them a feeling that they need to give me something.
I think he gave it to you because he wanted to. That was nice gesture on his part.

Dee

76olympics

On the Ice
I have always heard nice things about Kurt and this is the cherry on top of the sundae! I hope Duane becomes a champion--inspired by Browning!

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
What a great story. Thanks for sharing it with us. Yes, besides my favorite male skater of all time - Kurt has always struck me as a real "down to earth" kind of guy. I think that sincerity comes across in his skating as well. I remember reading Scott Hamilton's biography and he mentioned how Kurt showed up on his door step to accompany him to the hospital when he (Scott) found out about his cancer. Kurt said: "no one should go to the hospital alone." I think Kurt is very generous to his friends, family and fans. :agree:

backspin

On the Ice
Mathman said:
Awwww. Thanks, Toni.

Yup, that's as far as I got too!! Love Kurt, have for a long time! My favorite mens skater ever, for tons of reasons.

Also loved his commentary at Nationals.

ATW27

On the Ice
Toni, that is awesome! Thank you for sharing.
Kurt is one of the best ambassadors of the sport we have, and he just keeps getting better. On the ice, he's one of the best mens skaters (agruably the best today - yes, you heard me right) out there peforming. Off the ice, I am continually impressed by his personality and his intergrity. A top-class skater, and, more importantly, a top-class person. I salute him!

Andy W.

heyang

Record Breaker
That's awesome, Toni!!! Kurt has been one of my favorites for a long time and this just makes me a bigger fan.

Don't forget to take a picture of Duane with his book! He'll probably have the biggest smile on his face!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
76olympics said:
I have always heard nice things about Kurt and this is the cherry on top of the sundae! I hope Duane becomes a champion--inspired by Browning!

Duane hopes to one day skate a program choreographed by Kurt... I'd love to see him get that far and be able to afford him :laugh:

I was babysitting a couple of kids tonight and we watched the 2nd Snowden film tonight... the one with Raggedy Ann and Andy... and I can remember Duane learning all of the "moves" to Kurt's routine and Scotts... and dancing around with his Teddy Bear calling it josee lol... got all excited about the book again...

I swear I will be gushing about Kurt for a LONG time before the excitement dies down (if it ever does) it's just so refreshing to find a "hero" to be as awesome or more awesome as you imagine :love: :rock:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Toni, to borrow from one of my favorite lines from "The Sound of Music," "God bless Kurt!" Seriously, he's a great skater, a great guy, and a total sweetie from what you've shared with us. We found this out firsthand when we finally met him "up close & personal" at Skate America. Glad that you had such a great experience with him. :clap: Please share whatever pictures you have from this encounter!

A little request. Re: the wonderful group picture from Nationals - Could you possibly
re-post that picture combined with Doris' identification of each Golden Skate member? Thanks in advance if you could do that.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
iluvtodd said:
A little request. Re: the wonderful group picture from Nationals - Could you possibly
re-post that picture combined with Doris' identification of each Golden Skate member? Thanks in advance if you could do that.

do you mean like actually write the names on the picture or under it? because I did see your message and edited my first post with the i.d.s.... :)

ceg15

On the Ice
That was so sweet of Kurt! and that was such a nice story, thanks for sharing it! and yes, kurt is the nicest guy...well at least figure skater on this planet as far as I'm concerned. he always puts his fans first, he's such a great guy :):biggrin:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks, Toni. I saw your message re: putting the Golden Skate group together with the identifications. :clap: :rock:

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Kurt's the man, what a guy!:rock:
Toni-have you given the book to Duane yet? How about posting the picture?