Some parallels among Sasha Cohen, Kristi Yamaguchi, & Dorothy Hamill? | Golden Skate

Some parallels among Sasha Cohen, Kristi Yamaguchi, & Dorothy Hamill?

S

SkateFan4Life

Some parallels among Sasha Cohen, Kristi Yamaguchi, & Dorothy Hamill?

This may be stretching things a bit, but there are a few connections among Sasha Cohen, Kristi Yamaguchi, and Dorothy Hamill, as far as competing in the Olympics are concerned:

In 1992, Kristi Yamaguchi won her first US title, and she won the Olympic gold medal.

In 1976, Dorothy Hamill won the Olympic gold medal. She had been the World silver medalist the previous two seasons, 1974 and 1975.

In 2006, Sasha Cohen won her first US title, and she has been the World silver medalist the previous two seasons, 2004 and 2005.

Do you think lightning may strike a third time??

S

SkateFan4Life

bronxgirl said:
:no: They didn't have to face irina, and Sasha doesn;t have to skate figures

Kristi had formidable competition at Albertville - at least on paper. Tonya Harding, Nancy Kerrigan, and especially Midori Ito. It was a case in which the best all-around figure skater won the gold medal.

Dorothy was second in the school figures, and first in the short program, and also first in the long program. Again, the best all-around skater won.

Lightning might strike again! :biggrin:

bronxgirl

Medalist
and that might be one of the japanese women who are among the best all-around skaters in the world:)

soogar

Record Breaker
bronxgirl said:
:no: They didn't have to face irina, and Sasha doesn;t have to skate figures

You're comparing Irina with Midori? Midori was the best jumper hands down EVER in the ladies event. Irina's sloppy spins and footwork wouldn't even give her an edge against Midori who was great at both. I do think Irina will like Midori did under the pressure.

SkateFan4Life said:
This may be stretching things a bit, but there are a few connections among Sasha Cohen, Kristi Yamaguchi, and Dorothy Hamill, as far as competing in the Olympics are concerned:

In 1992, Kristi Yamaguchi won her first US title, and she won the Olympic gold medal.

In 1976, Dorothy Hamill won the Olympic gold medal. She had been the World silver medalist the previous two seasons, 1974 and 1975.

In 2006, Sasha Cohen won her first US title, and she has been the World silver medalist the previous two seasons, 2004 and 2005.

Do you think lightning may strike a third time??
Even if your comparisons don't mean diddley, I still thought they were interesting. At least I kept saying, "Huh, I didn't know that," thoughout your post. I liked it.:)

Rgirl

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I think that there is no doubt that "history will repeat itself" in Torino. The only question is -- what year will it be?

heyang

Record Breaker
No parallel holds water forever. When MK went to Nagano in 98, no reigning Ladies US Champ had not won the gold at Oly's. Well, that didn't happen in 98 nor 02.

Oops - gotta edit for correction. I just remember there was some theory surrounding being the Ladies US Gold medalist. Maybe that just meant over other US ladies who were also favorites? Darn - can't remember all the details now, but there was buzz.

S

SkateFan4Life

heyang said:
No parallel holds water forever. When MK went to Nagano in 98, no reigning Ladies US Champ had not won the gold at Oly's. Well, that didn't happen in 98 nor 02.

Oops - gotta edit for correction. I just remember there was some theory surrounding being the Ladies US Gold medalist. Maybe that just meant over other US ladies who were also favorites? Darn - can't remember all the details now, but there was buzz.

Huh? You're not making sense, at least not to me.

Certainly, there's no guarantee that Sasha will win, and even if my comments mean "diddley", as one of the posters mentionied :biggrin: , it's interesting to think that perhaps a similar scenario may play out in Torino.

We will soon find out!

IDLERACER

Medalist
She's also about the same age as Yamaguchi was when she won gold. Dorothy Hammil was a couple of years younger.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
attyfan said:
I think that there is no doubt that "history will repeat itself" in Torino. The only question is -- what year will it be?

You Rock! That's one of the amazing things about history.

DG

S

SkateFan4Life

IDLERACER said:
She's also about the same age as Yamaguchi was when she won gold. Dorothy Hammil was a couple of years younger.

For the record:
Sasha Cohen is 21 years old.
Sarah Hughes was 16 when she won the 2002 Olympics.
Tara Lipinski was 15 when she won the 1998 Olympics.
Oksana Baiul was 16 when she won the 1994 Olympics.
Kristi Yamaguchi was 20 when she won the 1992 Olympics.
Katarina Witt was 22 when she won the 1988 Olympics.
Katarina Witt was 18 when she won the 1984 Olympics.
Annet Poetszch was 19 when she won the 1980 Olympics.
Dorothy Hamill was 19 when she won the 1976 Olympics.
Beatrix Schuba was 20 when she won the 1972 Olympics.
Peggy Fleming was 19 when she won the 1968 Olympics.

rob43

On the Ice
The last time the current US Champion Lady won OGM was 1992. The last time the current US Men's Champion won any medal at the Olympics was 1988.

The last time a US woman wasn't on a podium was '64. And has a US dance team ever medalled?

It's possible any of these streaks could be broken- or not. Also Dorothy and Kristi were pretty darn consistant. I think Sash is more an odd cross between Katarina Witt and Nicole Bobek.

S

SkateFan4Life

rob43 said:
The last time the current US Champion Lady won OGM was 1992. The last time the current US Men's Champion won any medal at the Olympics was 1988.

The last time a US woman wasn't on a podium was '64. And has a US dance team ever medalled?

It's possible any of these streaks could be broken- or not. Also Dorothy and Kristi were pretty darn consistant. I think Sash is more an odd cross between Katarina Witt and Nicole Bobek.

Colleen O'Connor and Jim Milns won the bronze medal at the 1976 Olympics, which was the first time ice dance was included in the competition.

heyang

Record Breaker
I just remember that commentators rambling on about the importance of being US Ladies National champ in an Olympic year. Perhaps it was that she always ended up somewhere on the podium. When was the last time that US Ladies champion was not on the Olympic podium in any spot?

2002 MK Bronze
1998 MK Silver
1994 Kerrigan Silver
1992 Yamaguchi gold
1988 Thomas bronze
1984 Sumners silver (was Roz or Zayak national champ that year?)
1980 Fratianne silver
1976 Hamil Gold

The rest is before I was old enough to stay up and watch.....

1972 Janet Lynn - bronze
1968 Fleming - gold
1964?
1960 Heiss - gold
1956 Tenley Albright - gold, Heis - silver
1952 Tenley Albright - silver

Last edited:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
rob43 said:

I think it is absolutely laughable to even imply that Sasha is inconsistent. She was 4th in her first 2 Worlds (02 and 03) and 2nd in the last 2; has ended up on the podium in all 6 of her National appearances as a Senior, and has a pretty good record of almost always medalling in her GP competitions as well. And yes, a cross between Witt and Bobek would be pretty darn odd.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
heyang said:
I just remember that commentators rambling on about the importance of being US Ladies National champ in an Olympic year. Perhaps it was that she always ended up somewhere on the podium. When was the last time that US Ladies champion was not on the Olympic podium in any spot?

1994 Kerrigan Silver

Nancy Kerrigan was not the US Nat champ in 1994; Tonya was (at least for a while). She couldn't compete at Nats that year, because she was whacked.