Cohen happy with National Championship (new "journal" on website) | Golden Skate

Cohen happy with National Championship (new "journal" on website)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Cohen happy with National Championship (new "journal" on website)

Now it's the Sasha fans' turn for my news delivery. Courtesy of the Sashafans forum.

If you absolutely hate her, I don't recommend reading it because she really seems upbeat by the whole "gold" and "nats champ" thing. But she's waited six years, so I suppose it could be worth it for her to have bragging rights.

www.sashacohen.com/journal.shtml

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
It's good to see that she is enjoying her reign. :thumbsup: Question, do they have a second trophy at Colorado Springs on display in addition to the one the winner receives?

Why not. It's taken a long time but finally she is the US Lady National Champion.
Good for Sasha!!!

That trophy they gave out last year.... I think they call it the Michelle Kwan Trophy. Is that a Challenge trophy which means it must be returned to the USFSA each year for the next champion to receive>

Joe

ceg15

On the Ice
Thanks for posting that. I'm glad she's really excited about her win, she deserves it!

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
The "Michelle Kwan Trophy" is the one from Skating Magazine for the Readers' Choice skater of the year. Sasha won it two years ago...tied with the Haydenettes that year. Belbin & Agosto won it last year.

The Nationals trophy is different. Not sure if it has a name or if they get to keep it? Or if they get smaller versions? Anyone? I know all the champions posed with it last year for a pic that was the cover of an issue Skating Magazine. So I don't think each one gets one.

Forgot to add...Congrats Sasha! Enjoy it! :)

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think there might be a separate trophy for each division...or there's one trophy with everyone's names on it. But no, they don't get it...or at least I don't think so. Instead they get that plaque (used to be a silver tray), some kind of pin, and of course the gold medal.

Yes, there were 4 trophys and the 'trophy' had a name as I recall. I remember Orsher and Lucash holding their trophy. There were names to be put on these trophies and I really believe they were challenge trophies and had to be given back for the next US champs.

Is there anyway to check this out.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Yes, there were 4 trophys and the 'trophy' had a name as I recall. I remember Orsher and Lucash holding their trophy. There were names to be put on these trophies and I really believe they were challenge trophies and had to be given back for the next US champs.

Is there anyway to check this out.

Do you mean the winners get to KEEP the trophy for one year??

S

SkateFan4Life

Sasha should be very happy with this achievement. Good for her! Many wonderful skaters never quality for the US Olympic team, much less win the National championship, so she should be very happy and proud of herself.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Traveling Trophies v. Trophies

My experience with trophies is that most of them you get to keep forever. There are some situations where a "traveling trophy" is given to recognize something in particular, and the trophy usually stays with the organization. Here's an example.

A new recognition award was developed this year in my dog sport. The dogs get trophies (sponsored, ALWAYS) for their placements...1st, 2nd, etc. Those are for keeps. There was also a Janis Novak Memorial Trophy which was awarded to the top placing US Bred dog of 18 - 14 months old. That award is a "traveling trophy" which will be awarded to a different dog every year. You have a photo op (big) with that trophy. You get a smaller version of the trophy to keep forever. Your dog's name goes on a little gold engraved thing on the base of the trophy as a "winner" of that award. But the actual trophy stays in the hands of the governing organization to be awarded annually in perpetuity.

In my experience, trophies for placements in the competition are for keeps. Special trophies for things like sportsmanship, or other contributions to the sport (regardless of placement) are often of the "traveling" sort. It's an honor to have your (or in my case, a dog's) name engraved on the trophy that will change hands presumeably forever.

DG

orchid

On the Ice
Red Dog said:
Now it's the Sasha fans' turn for my news delivery. Courtesy of the Sashafans forum.

If you absolutely hate her, I don't recommend reading it because she really seems upbeat by the whole "gold" and "nats champ" thing. But she's waited six years, so I suppose it could be worth it for her to have bragging rights.

www.sashacohen.com/journal.shtml

Thanks for the heads-up.
:biggrin:

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
I would assume it's a non-traveling trophy that stays at Headquarters most of the time, with names added. The winners presumably get something smaller to keep.

For those interested (and not in posession of a USFSA rulebook), the trophies for the seniors at the US Figure Skating Championships are:

Men Free Skate: George H. Browne Memorial Bowl, donated by SC of Boston.

Ladies Free Skate: Owen Memorial Trophy, donated by F. Ritter Shumway and SC of Boston in memory of Maribel V. Own, Maribel Y. Owen, and Laurence R. Owen.

Pairs: Henry R. Wainwright Howe Memorial Trophy, donated by members of the Association

Dance: Radix Trophy, donated by Harry E. Radix.

julietvalcouer said:
I would assume it's a non-traveling trophy that stays at Headquarters most of the time, with names added. The winners presumably get something smaller to keep.

For those interested (and not in posession of a USFSA rulebook), the trophies for the seniors at the US Figure Skating Championships are:

Men Free Skate: George H. Browne Memorial Bowl, donated by SC of Boston.

Ladies Free Skate: Owen Memorial Trophy, donated by F. Ritter Shumway and SC of Boston in memory of Maribel V. Own, Maribel Y. Owen, and Laurence R. Owen.

Pairs: Henry R. Wainwright Howe Memorial Trophy, donated by members of the Association

Dance: Radix Trophy, donated by Harry E. Radix.
Thanks Juliet. I thought there were trophies at US Nats, and they do have names (not kwan). they are also challenge trophies where the recipients do not get the to take home.

Sasha has her name on the trophy this year.

Joe