Mens FS | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Mens FS

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Joubert and Plushenko also apparently have superior spins to Lambiel since their scores for their spins were higher in the short program. :laugh:

Vash01

Medalist
slutskayafan21 said:
Joubert and Plushenko also apparently have superior spins to Lambiel since their scores for their spins were higher in the short program. :laugh:

Lambiel is clearly the best spinner among men today. His spins were given level 3.Plushenko's spins were level 4. I have not seen the performances so I have not applied the rules to them. I believe the levels got them higher points, although Lambiel must have received high positive GOE's.

Vash

Vash01

Medalist
slutskayafan21 said:
The Duchensays were a team that 90% of fans seemed to be head and heals over and thought they deserved to win every event instead of Klimova/
Ponamarenko; while many hardcore skating fans have said they were one of the most overrated teams ever, so while I have my own opinions on them I try not to get into a discussion to deep on them. They clearly inspire two extremes of views. All I will say is they were certainly extremely unique and original, some of their actual dance technique was quite flawed but they were good at hiding it.
That and I cant stand the commentary he used to do for French-Canadian TV.
:biggrin:

K&P are my all time favorite ice dance team and I would never put the Dushenays over them. I would have placed Usova-Zhulin higher than D&D, but it was close. Ice dance rewards creativity and D&D had that, and they were great performers.

Vash

Vash01

Medalist
slutskayafan21 said:
His presentation scores were grossly inflated under the old system as well. Under the new COP he has not had success not because of judges, but because of himself, particularly last year. He did not have a single decent competition last year, except Europeans where he was a close 2nd to Plushenko. The judges gave him ridiculously inflated PCS scores even last year but he could not capatilize on them most of the time.

This year until Europeans his scores were much more in line with reality until Europeans.

The 6.0 system often gave high presentation scores to skaters that had difficult jumps/combinations and skated a clean program. When skaters made mistakes on jumps they were not rewarded for other things like spins, MIF, footwork. Joubert is a good jumper and when he landed the jumps, the 6.0 system gave him high presentation marks. However, he was not the only skater that benefitted from this.

Vash

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Vash01 said:
Lambiel is clearly the best spinner among men today. His spins were given level 3.Plushenko's spins were level 4. I have not seen the performances so I have not applied the rules to them. I believe the levels got them higher points, although Lambiel must have received high positive GOE's.

Vash

Whatever the reasons it shows that scoring for spins need to be revised since Lambiel has been getting similar scores as mediocre spinners like Plushenko and Lysacek all year, and it is crazy! You get no value for having much better spins. The GOE scores are poorly done, and they are reduced because they are lower point-getting elements anyway. Spin judging is terrable.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Vash01 said:
The 6.0 system often gave high presentation scores to skaters that had difficult jumps/combinations and skated a clean program. When skaters made mistakes on jumps they were not rewarded for other things like spins, MIF, footwork. Joubert is a good jumper and when he landed the jumps, the 6.0 system gave him high presentation marks. However, he was not the only skater that benefitted from this.

Vash

Just curious, did you used to go on CNN figure skating boards? I think I remember somebody like you there.

Good points on Joubert's presentation scores under the 6.0 system. Still he does not deserve some of the PCS scores he gets under the new system, especialy when he does not beat him opponents on TES scores.

slutskayafan21 said:
Whatever the reasons it shows that scoring for spins need to be revised since Lambiel has been getting similar scores as mediocre spinners like Plushenko and Lysacek all year, and it is crazy! You get no value for having much better spins. The GOE scores are poorly done, and they are reduced because they are lower point-getting elements anyway. Spin judging is terrable.
Both Plushenko and Lysacek have weak spins. Evgeni can not do a real sitspin. He must be doing that horrendous bielman for the points but still no real sitspin.

Joe

Shmuzzy

On the Ice
I read in a skating magazine a few months ago that Lambielknows that his spins aren't level four but feels they "look" better and isn't willing to change for the higher marks. So obviously it isn't an ability thing, it's a "choice" thing, and I imagine his marks will continue to suffer until he "gives in".

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Joesitz said:
Both Plushenko and Lysacek have weak spins. Evgeni can not do a real sitspin. He must be doing that horrendous bielman for the points but still no real sitspin.

Joe

Yeah but the scores still come out the same. It is crazy. You might as well do mediocre spins, you get the same scores as excellent spins, in fact sometimes higher.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Shmuzzy said:
I read in a skating magazine a few months ago that Lambielknows that his spins aren't level four but feels they "look" better and isn't willing to change for the higher marks. So obviously it isn't an ability thing, it's a "choice" thing, and I imagine his marks will continue to suffer until he "gives in".

The judges dont even give him the GOE he deserve for his spins, and give inflated GOE to his competitors so he probably figures what is the point?

CDMM1991 said:
Yay! Ilia officially has the second spot for Russia at the Olympics! All he had to do was finish above Dobrin!
Praise to be!! One report had him not giving his unique style but just the spins and jumps. I have to see this but happy he's up there. Whatever happened to Griazev?

Lambiel over Joubert - Why not? Style v. wooden. Stephane made his 3A!!!

My much too early prediction about a European podium at the Olys for the Men is becoming realistic.

Joe

Linny

Final Flight
GOE could be the decider if it's used correctly

Only a spin as fast and centered as Lambiel's should get full GOE points. Period. Don't care how many positions or change of edge there are.
Linny

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Linny said:
Only a spin as fast and centered as Lambiel's should get full GOE points. Period. Don't care how many positions or change of edge there are.
Linny

Too bad the judges are blind to this however. :no:

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Joesitz said:
Praise to be!! One report had him not giving his unique style but just the spins and jumps. I have to see this but happy he's up there. Whatever happened to Griazev?

Lambiel over Joubert - Why not? Style v. wooden. Stephane made his 3A!!!

My much too early prediction about a European podium at the Olys for the Men is becoming realistic.

Joe

Your much too early prediction is looking like money in the bank now. Be very surprised if we dont see a Euro sweep of the mens in Turin.

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
Praise to be!! Whatever happened to Griazev?

Joe

So thrilled for Klimkin!!!

Griazev had an horrible meltdown at Russian nats and finished very low. I am not even sure if he would get any GP assignments next year - maybe only Cup of Russia.

Check out Anna's reports on the Russian Nationals.

Jimena

Rinkside

Plushenko's not doing the Biellman, and his spins have actually improved a lot (so have Joubert's). And Lambiel had two level 1 spins in his long program, IIRC. I don't understand his decision not to upgrade all his spins.

Last edited:

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Everybody says that Plushenko, Joubert, etc.....all improve their spins alot but I dont see it whenever I see them skate. The judges simply choose not to reward Lambiel and Buttle in GOE on their spins enough to differentiate them between much weaker spinners like Plushenko, Joubert, and Lysacek, the GOE scores are also reduced in the scoring format which lowers its meaning more, and the rules for level values on spins are ridiculous as well. Even Weir was confused to why some spins he was using earlier in the year where not getting higher levels, it is only about changing edges and positions, and some of them look plain ugly, and are not really harder than other ways you could make a spin harder. Spin scoring is pathetic under the new rules, you might as well just do blah spins since you will get the same scores.

Jimena said:
Plushenko's not doing the Biellman, and his spins have actually improved a lot (so have Joubert's). And Lambiel had two level 1 spins in his long program, IIRC. I don't understand his decision not to upgrade all his spins.
Lambiel is an artist first, and technically brilliant. Anyone who can do the combo spins and stay in one spot is my kind of athlete.

Joe

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Joesitz said:
Lambiel is an artist first, and technically brilliant. Anyone who can do the combo spins and stay in one spot is my kind of athlete.

Joe

Mine too, maybe in a year or two the judges will catch on as well. ;)

diver chick

On the Ice
I have to say that I am losing all interest in watching competition skating these days. The new system has the potential to be a very good system but the in my opinion the judges just seem to be refusing to use it properly. There is no doubt in my mind that Plushenko deserved to win the gold and that Lambiel deserved to win the silver but the margin between the two is ridiculous, much the same as that between Slutskaya and whoever comes second to her and it is frustrating in the extreme to watch this so I can't imagine what it must be like to skate under it.

Say what you like but IMO the Torino gold medals are a done deal for the Russians unless they have a total meltdown.