Your Oly Spoilers for Gold and Podium | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Your Oly Spoilers for Gold and Podium

Sorry Hockeyfan - It was Sasha's year to pull a Tara. It was the most anticipated ending in that year. Failing this, it would be Slutskaya for the gold and failing that a possible Kwan for the win. This would form the podium.

Sarah was not expected a medal.

Joe

soogar

Record Breaker
Jaana said:
At the Olympics Klimkin is going to meet the other top guys from Europeans plus top skaters from e.g. USA, Canada and Japan. Under those circumstances the podium might be rather unlikely for him, at least in my opinion.

Unlike the top skaters from the US and Canada (save for Sandhu), Klimkin at least has a 4-3 combo and a solo 4 in addition to a solid 3 axel. He's looking very good and skating strong. If he skates strong at the Games, he will be in the hunt with Lambiel, Joubert and Plush. Johnny or Jeff aren't going to challenge unless everyone has a meltdown.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
To pull a Tara (or an Oksana), the skater has to be young and a reigning World Champion, having beaten the odds-on favorite the year before. Cohen would have done something unprecedented: winning an Olympic gold medal in her first Senior international competition.

soogar

Record Breaker
hockeyfan228 said:
To pull a Tara (or an Oksana), the skater has to be young and a reigning World Champion, having beaten the odds-on favorite the year before. Cohen would have done something unprecedented: winning an Olympic gold medal in her first Senior international competition.

Well there's a new system in place at well that will reward a youngster who completes the jumps (Mao).

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
soogar said:
Well there's a new system in place at well that will reward a youngster who completes the jumps (Mao).
That's true now, but not for Cohen in 2002. Also, had she been eligible to compete for the Olympics, it would not have been Asada's first international senior event. (She came in second overall, with a 3rd place in the LP, at Cup of China.)

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
hockeyfan228 said:

Sasha competed at some Senior GPs in both the 2000-2001 season, and 2001-2002 season.

CDMM1991

Medalist
I think what commentators meant when they said it was Sasha's first major senior international competition was that she had never been to Worlds.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
slutskayafan21 said:
Sasha competed at some Senior GPs in both the 2000-2001 season, and 2001-2002 season.
You are right -- she was; I thought she had been on the Junior GP circuit. The ISU bios have dropped all GP results before 2003. I didn't realize this was global.

Apologies, soogar!

soogar

Record Breaker
hockeyfan228 said:
That's true now, but not for Cohen in 2002. Also, had she been eligible to compete for the Olympics, it would not have been Asada's first international senior event. (She came in second overall, with a 3rd place in the LP, at Cup of China.)

If Sasha had been reasonably clean, (IMO, I thought Sasha should have gotten the nod over Sarah in 2002 b/c Sarah's style was so horrible on the ice), Sasha would have won the 2002 Olympics. Sasha's scores were very high and the judges would have given the title to her had she skated with only one mistake (instead of the several she had) and with the performances Michelle and Irina gave. Those judges didn't care that Sasha wasn't on the podium (or even at Worlds) the previous year. They just marked the skating that they liked. It's going to be the same way in these games as well.

CDMM1991 said:
I think what commentators meant when they said it was Sasha's first major senior international competition was that she had never been to Worlds.
CDMM, who's the skater in your new Avatar? You? :agree: :rock:

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
soogar said:
If Sasha had been reasonably clean, (IMO, I thought Sasha should have gotten the nod over Sarah in 2002 b/c Sarah's style was so horrible on the ice), Sasha would have won the 2002 Olympics. Sasha's scores were very high and the judges would have given the title to her had she skated with only one mistake (instead of the several she had) and with the performances Michelle and Irina gave. Those judges didn't care that Sasha wasn't on the podium (or even at Worlds) the previous year. They just marked the skating that they liked. It's going to be the same way in these games as well.

I agree. The judges would have given the gold to Sasha if she had landed her triple lutz/triple toe combo rather than falling on the triple toe. Then again she has never done a clean long program in anything bigger than a cheesefest so that would have been a momumental step for her to have done that.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
soogar said:

Sorry Soogar, but on this I disagree... There was no way that Sasha with one error would've won the gold in '02... Either Michelle or Irina would've gotten the nod. I do think Sasha would've won bronze with one error, but there was no way an upstart with one error would've beaten the big two...

I do agree, however, that whoever has the best skate & moves the judges will win.

As for my gold medal spoilers... (silver & bronze are always a toss up, so I don't see that as a darkhorse winning...)
Major prediction - Ice skating will have one major Dan Jansen this season. (but I seem to be the kiss of death to athletes, so this means a Russian sweep is a certaintly...)

Men - Eman or Evan. Sorry, but I don't see Johnny or Jeff beating Plushy but I can see Eman or Evan pulling this off - with a lot of help, of course.

Pairs - Shen/Zhao - Injured, off ice, "best in show" when on - but his injury makes them a huge ??? for the games.

Dance - Canadians. Why? The judges are sick of blonds

Ladies - Elena Sokolava Why? Because how funny would that be??? Just jokes - I'd say Miki

soogar

Record Breaker
slutskayafan21 said:
I agree. The judges would have given the gold to Sasha if she had landed her triple lutz/triple toe combo rather than falling on the triple toe. Then again she has never done a clean long program in anything bigger than a cheesefest so that would have been a momumental step for her to have done that.

I don't think that it was the stumble/fall on the 3 toe on the end of the combo that hurt her. That was the most difficult combo tried that night of the top ladies. It was the little mistakes and fumbles that happened afterward that hurt her. She would have beaten Sarah with just that mistake. Her presentation scores were through the roof for that troubled skate. Sarah just didn't have the look that the judges wanted to reward and she wound up winning through the backdoor route.

diamondqueen

On the Ice
Your Olympic Spoiler for Gold and Poduim

Possible Men:Weir:clap:

Possible Dance:Belbin/Agosto:clap:

Possible Pairs:Shen/Zhao:clap:

Possible:Kwan:clap:

diamond:love:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
soogar said:

And if Michelle or Irina would have been clean one of them would have won. Heck if (name anyone in the world) had been there, outskated everyone, worn her lucky skate laces, the stars had been aligned just right, she had ordered green tea instead of earl Grey for breakfast, and Peggy Fleming had been in the 8th seat instead of the 6th she would have won. Should of, would of, could of.......given whatever the situation someone can dream up it's possible for anyone to win anything.

soogar

Record Breaker
Piel said:
And if Michelle or Irina would have been clean one of them would have won. Heck if (name anyone in the world) had been there, outskated everyone, worn her lucky skate laces, the stars had been aligned just right, she had ordered green tea instead of earl Grey for breakfast, and Peggy Fleming had been in the 8th seat instead of the 6th she would have won. Should of, would of, could of.......given whatever the situation someone can dream up it's possible for anyone to win anything.

I think that a clean Sasha could have beaten a clean Irina and a clean Michelle. She was absolutely stunning and was the best thing out of the whole ladiezzz event. Irina has no grace and Michelle was her usual boring self. Sasha back then was a breath of fresh air and had the look of a champion. I can't say that I feel the same way about her than I did then, but she was absolutely beautiful in 2002.

soogar said:
I think that a clean Sasha could have beaten a clean Irina and a clean Michelle. She was absolutely stunning and was the best thing out of the whole ladiezzz event. Irina has no grace and Michelle was her usual boring self. Sasha back then was a breath of fresh air and had the look of a champion. I can't say that I feel the same way about her than I did then, but she was absolutely beautiful in 2002.
and she was THE teenybopper who got usurped by the other Teen, Sarah.