Who were the first skaters to do double jumps? | Golden Skate

Who were the first skaters to do double jumps?

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
if my memory serves me right, the first woman to do a double jump was Cecelia Colledge (it was a sal) - that was 1937. Since Sonja retired in 1936, I assume she did not do any doubles.

After some digging: Dick Button did the first doble axel in 1948.

Karl Schafer did first double lutz in 1926. He also did first double loop in 1925.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I managed a double Sashasplat in 1981, does that count for qanything?:p :biggrin: ;)

Johar

Medalist
I wish I could see a tape of Henie's Olympic performance. Thanks for the answers, btw. I always like learning about the sport.

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
on the same topic... who did the first triples?? who was the first woman to do a triple jump in a program, does anyone know?

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
bethissoawesome said:
on the same topic... who did the first triples?? who was the first woman to do a triple jump in a program, does anyone know?

Carol Heiss was the first to land a double axel
Dick landed the first ever triple...

I wonder, like you, who the first woman was... (I know Janet was doing them in the 60's)

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Vern Taylor did the first triple axel (1978 worlds)

Ronnie Robertson did the first triple sal in 1955 worlds.

R.D.

Record Breaker
By the way, thanks to the original poster for asking this question. These are a few "fun facts" I didn't know before. Thanks everyone. :agree:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
has a woman ever landed a jump before a man?

Sign me,
Too lazy to look it up:biggrin:

nicole_l

Final Flight
Piel, although the site says differently, I have always heard that Tara Lipinski was the first person to land a triple loop/triple loop.

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
here's a cool site of "firsts" by Canadians.

According to this site, Petra Burka was the first woman to land a triple jump by a woman. She did a triple sal.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Double salchows were first performed by Gillis Grafström for men in the 1920's, and Cecilia Colledge for women in the late 1930's.