mao performed a triple-triple-triple? | Golden Skate

mao performed a triple-triple-triple?

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
i was reading on wikipedia that mao asada is the first woman/girl to land a triple-triple-triple combination... triple lutz-triple loop-triple toe... and that she did this at the age of 12. i know wikipedia is updated my internet users, so i was wondering if anyone knew anymore about the validity of this? thanks :D

CalloftheBlade

Rinkside
Yea, she did it at the 2002 Japanese nationals. Although she completed the triple-triple-triple sequence, the second jump was slightly underrotated, and the third jump was severely underrotated.

antmanb

Record Breaker
bethissoawesome said:
i was reading on wikipedia that mao asada is the first woman/girl to land a triple-triple-triple combination... triple lutz-triple loop-triple toe... and that she did this at the age of 12. i know wikipedia is updated my internet users, so i was wondering if anyone knew anymore about the validity of this? thanks :D

There's video of this kicking around the niternet somewhere...in fact it might be at cruella de kwan's website - it shows the first half of the LP. She opens with a triple axel which looks well landed but if you look carefully is about a half turn short on the landing, the combination is in fact a triple flip/triple loop/triple toe and the second and third jumps are underotated, later in the program she lands a triple lutz/triple loop and again the loop is slightly cheated.

Ant

It's good we agree that she should not be judged the best in the world because she just might be. Keep her out of the Olympics so that our veterans will have a chance to win.

Joe

antmanb

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
It's good we agree that she should not be judged the best in the world because she just might be. Keep her out of the Olympics so that our veterans will have a chance to win.

Joe

Who agreed to what about who??? We were discussing an LP that Mao performed something like 3 years ago at Japanese nationals when she was 11 or 12...no-one is saying anything about Mao's current skating skills and whether she is or isn't the best in the world.

Ant

OK. No problem ,but not keeping to topic is not exactly a must in all threads. But, I agree, it should be in all threads.

Back on Topic. Mao is, was, will be amazing.

Joe

trains

On the Ice
Several years ago I watched Surya Bonali practising in Lake Placid for a show.
She did 7 triple toes in row - laughing the whole time and trying to do as many as she could.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
antmanb said:
There's video of this kicking around the niternet somewhere...in fact it might be at cruella de kwan's website - it shows the first half of the LP. She opens with a triple axel which looks well landed but if you look carefully is about a half turn short on the landing, the combination is in fact a triple flip/triple loop/triple toe and the second and third jumps are underotated, later in the program she lands a triple lutz/triple loop and again the loop is slightly cheated.

Ant

Her '02 Nationals LP is listed on Cruella's site here http://www.cruelladekwan.com/otherskaters/asada.htm But when I clicked on that choice, I got an error page - link not found or something like that. :(

Let me know if you find it somewhere else...or maybe this link works for you but there is a problem on my end. Would love to see it.

DG

millie

Medalist
antmanb said:
Who agreed to what about who??? We were discussing an LP that Mao performed something like 3 years ago at Japanese nationals when she was 11 or 12...no-one is saying anything about Mao's current skating skills and whether she is or isn't the best in the world.

Ant

Mao is not only going to miss out on this Olympics but seems like she missed out on the last one. Good for Mao.:)

antmanb

Record Breaker
anything_for_skating said:
I don't know did Mao jump it, but Carolina did! And she is doing it.

http://www.carolina-kostner.it/E-index2.htm

She can indeed - the Eurosport comentators have noted in previous years that she's not only landed it on the practices but also once on the arm up ice. Haven't heard much about it in the last few weeks though and not even the 3/3/2 at Europeans. I would be pretty amazed if the firt time she lands this in competition is in an Olympics.

Has anyone ever landed a "first" at an Olympics (and by that i don't mean the frist X at an Olympics, i mean the first time the skater has ever landed X in a competition and that competition is an Olympics?)

Ant

gkelly

Record Breaker
I believe that first double axel and first triple (loop) were first landed at the 1948 and 1952 Olympics, by Dick Button.

antmanb

Record Breaker
gkelly said:
I believe that first double axel and first triple (loop) were first landed at the 1948 and 1952 Olympics, by Dick Button.

Trust Dick Button to accomplish these amazing feats!

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
And so far back in time. Best male competitor of all eras. Did he ever lose first place?

Joe

My skating history is pretty bad but i would hazard a guess that he proabaly didn't ever lose first place.

Ant

gkelly

Record Breaker
Button was 2nd at 1947 Worlds, but I believe he won the freeskating and lost on the figures.

rjulie510

Rinkside
Mao did do 3-3-3 but all three jumps were cheated. Since then she cleaned up her jumps somewhat but I still don't like how she skates like a junior skater. I am waiting for next season when Yu-Na Kim (Mao's archrival currently in junior circuit) comes to senior circuit. Yu-Na has much better presentation and also hard jumps -she has triple flip-triple toe and double axel-triple toe-double loop.