Time for Kwan to pass the torch (Article) | Golden Skate

Time for Kwan to pass the torch (Article)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Another "anti-bye" article...this time from MSNBC (the same place where the Sasha article came from, but NOT from the same author)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11048886

I suspect this will be a hot topic later today...most likely a moot point, but who knows?

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Again some inaccuracies, but what I found interesting was smack dab in the middle of the article is this.............".Ice kings and queens - See the skaters with the best shot at winning the gold in Turin ". And who's picture is there? KWANS!

"By the rules of the association, the top three finishers in the nationals are named to the Olympic team."

Ah. I see. Thanks for clearing that up for me, Mr. Celizic. I thought...well, never mind what I thought, I'm just a humble fan, not a -- oooo -- "free lance writer based in new York."

"But this is Michelle Kwan, who is to American figure skating what Michael Jordan was to the NBA, only without the ability to perform in the clutch and without the championships."

Michael Jordan, Scotty Pippen and crew have six -- count 'em, six! -- national championships. You rock, Michael.

True, Michael Jordan was on an Olympic team that won a gold medal, along with Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Patrick Ewing, etc.

"She’s blown two Olympic tournaments..."

She won two Olympic medals in two attempts.

Time for you to retire, Mr. Celizic. It is plain to see that your best writing days are over. Take your nine U.S. Sportswriter of the Year awards and step aside for the next generation.

Oh, you didn't win the sportswriter of the year award nine times? Well, whatever.

Last edited:
Thanks again, RD for yet another negative article Kwan. It now seems clear that the overhyped skater is overhyped negatively? Am I correct?

Joe

getreal

Spectator
i thought the USFS rules, on their books well before this Nationals, set forth criteria to determine the 2nd and 3rd spots on the Team. isnt their stated purpose to field the team with the best chance for medals? the real mistake they made was in not insisting that Kwan go to Worlds if she is well enough to go to the Olympics. The USA may end up after 2006 Worlds with only 2 spots for the next Worlds. that would be a real embarassment with the huge number of girls competing in the US and the millions and millions spent by parents, compared to all other countries.
and what is the "controversy?" Emily Hughes has no international success as a senior; almost no experience; an awful record as a novice and junior; and a 3rd at Nationals while doing 4 triples. The Novice and Junior ladies did more. seems like what is Golden is a relentless PR campaign on her behalf. if she werent Sarah's sister we would be spared the fake "issue."

childfreegirl

Final Flight
Mathman said:
Time for you to retire, Mr. Celizic. It is plain to see that your best writing days are over. Take your nine U.S. Sportswriter of the Year awards and step aside for the next generation.

Oh, you didn't win the sportswriter of the year award nine times? Well, whatever.

:rofl: Good one MM!

nymkfan51

Medalist
Typical of the way some things are viewed ... unless you come in first, you're considered a failure. A nice message to send to future Olympians. :no:

I considered responding to this moron, but decided he wasn't even worth the effort.

millie

Medalist
nymkfan51 said:
Typical of the way some things are viewed ... unless you come in first, you're considered a failure. A nice message to send to future Olympians. :no:

I considered responding to this moron, but decided he wasn't even worth the effort.

Welcome to the world of figure skating. According to some people Sasha has been a failure mostly through her skating career because she has very seldom come in first. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.:) :)

nymkfan51

Medalist
millie said:
Welcome to the world of figure skating. According to some people Sasha has been a failure mostly through her skating career because she has very seldom come in first. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.:) :)

Really millie, why must you always take this attitude? It's really getting tiresome.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
millie said:

Don't you mean the swan?:rofl: :chorus: :rofl:

Last edited:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Please see this article for what it is... a group of reporters assigned to write an op-ed piece on the Olympics biggest draw: ladies figure skating. And they really don't care about the other US skating or skaters - just Kwan. A Kwan who has never been the least bit "fun" from a reporter's standpoint... meaning she's not Paris Hilton. And guess what they just got as a late holiday present: Ms. Michelle Kwan in the middle of something that just smacks of the wicked world of figure skating... an olympic bye. AND they've been barred from watching the test skate?!?

I mean, seriously, skating never gets a fair shake in the sports press... did you believe it'd be different because its Kwan? And just wait until Italy... its gonna be much worse. Espcially if she (or Sasha) goes out & skates a perfect 6.0 program and misses the medal stand because of the NJS... It will make SLC look like Disney World...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Kwanford Wife... ITA...

scandel sells... and KWAN sells... and the media knows it...

after the 02 judging fiasco just saying Canadian or Russian skaters brought people to alert... in 04 anything Tonya or Nancy... the media thrives on the "evil" and "darkness" of skating...

you can only snark about tacky costumes for so long before people get bored lol

millie

Medalist
Piel said:
Don'y you mean the swan?:rofl: :chorus: :rofl:

Sorry Piel,:) What's good for the swan is good for the (don't know if swan is female or male or if it refers to both genders). In that case what's good for the swan it's good for another swan-in-training):rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

millie

Medalist
nymkfan51 said:
Really millie, why must you always take this attitude? It's really getting tiresome.

Let's all join in the:chorus: :chorus: :chorus: :chorus: that millie's opinion is tiresome.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
millie said:
Sorry Piel,:) What's good for the swan is good for the (don't know if swan is female or male or if it refers to both genders). In that case what's good for the swan it's good for another swan-in-training):rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Swanette = :chorus:

Swanette in Training = :rofl:

;) from a fellow deLUGEnal Diva.

DG

kyla2

Final Flight
Imo

The guy is a hack. Who cares what he thinks. As for Michelle and Sasha, neither one of them are losers. They are probably number 1 and number 2 of the greatest skaters of all time, but for different reasons.

CDMM1991

Medalist
kyla2 said:
The guy is a hack. Who cares what he thinks. As for Michelle and Sasha, neither one of them are losers. They are probably number 1 and number 2 of the greatest skaters of all time, but for different reasons.

The two greatest skaters of all time? I'm not sure either of them even fit into that category! Maybe Michelle, but Sasha? She doesn't even have ONE world championship under her belt!

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
CDMM1991 said:
The two greatest skaters of all time? I'm not sure either of them even fit into that category! Maybe Michelle, but Sasha? She doesn't even have ONE world championship under her belt!

Neither do either Toller Cranston or Janet Lynn, and they are considered by many to be among the all-time greats.

bronxgirl

Medalist
Lets face it, this guy hasn't even been able to correctly predict who would be in the World Series the last 4 years, and baseball is a sport he alledgedly knows something about!:biggrin: