Ladies SP Review | Golden Skate

Ladies SP Review

EWalker

On the Ice
Sorry for the delay in posting this report. There was a blackout in the arena last night after Amelie LaCoste skated, and there was a half hour delay in getting the next skater out there. I didn’t get back to the hotel until almost midnight, and I needed to get dinner. I will post as much as I can before I go to the FD. Because of logistics, I cannot go to the first two groups of Dance, so I apologize L

Amelie LeCoste (CAN) “El Conquistador”
Begins with a 3R-3R which was slightly underrotated, but she stood up on it—nice layboack—Kwan change of edge spiral (which was the standard for the ladies)—running 3s into a 2A—sit spin—straightline steps very nice—combination spin to close. I was shocked by how well this young lady skated. She has a future for Canada! Tech: 26.70; Comp: 21.26.

Megan Allely (RSA) “Pasha” by Vanessa Mae
2A which was underrotated—2S step out-2t—layback—spirals in catch foot position—flying camel—circular steps—2L—combination spin with nice changes of edge, but did not hold them to increase levels. Wow. This was really bad. Tech: 9.56; Comp: 13.03; Total: 22.59.

Katie Taylor (USA) “Rhapsody in Blue”
Katie dressed in blue with fringes on the costume somewhat like a flapper—Nice 3F to start—3L-2T—combination spin with attention to COP edges—2A—HUGE SMILE into diagonal steps—nice layback with multiple positions—spirals (again with the Kwan spiral)—flying sit with lots of attack. Good for her! She seemed very surprised! Sets her up well for Junior Worlds and as alternate for Big Girl Worlds! Tech: 32.27; Comp: 24.99; Total: 57.26.

Mai Asada (JPN) “Morning Suite” from Peer Gynt by Grieg
Begins with a 3F—3L-2T—nice layback—2A—flying sit—spirals with nice variations, but weaker than Taylor edges—combination spin to close. Nice to see her do well for herself. Has a very magestic feel with a long beautiful neck that she uses to her advantage. Is she going to Junior Worlds? Should be on the Senior Worlds Team with Mao and Yukari next season. Tech: 28.36; Comp: 23.77; Total: 52.13.

Anastasia Gimazetdinova (UZB) “The Godfather II” by Rota
2A which was 2 footed to start—popped L—2F and a fall—flying camel—straightline steps—At this point, she has a HUGE wedgie that is quite distracting—spirals with nice control—combination spin—layback (ick!). This lady has beautiful Russian-style training, but just can’t jump. She is qualified to the Olympics, but has been injured all season. I wouldn’t blame her if she goes to get the Olympic experience, but she will not be competitive for the FS. Hair is too big for her head, but she is one of the most strikingly fit skaters I have ever seen! Tech: 13.90; Comp: 17.02; Ded: -1.00; Total: 29.92.

Joanne Carter (AUS) Russian Gypsy Fire
2L-3R (fall)—3F—she is one of the fastest ladies I have ever seen—nice layback—spirals—Ina Bauer into 2A (nice!)—combination spin—straightline steps with a lot of command—flying camel. This girl needs elite coaching, and she would make the transition to top tier skater. She is that good! Her mom is very wealthy, so I wish that they would invest in better training! Tech: 25.47; Comp: 22.72; Ded: -1.00; Total: 47.19.

Meagan Duhamel (CAN) “Croation Rhapsody” (Music that Irina used as card player)
Begins with spirals to set the tone of the program—3F from out of nowhere—flying sit spin—3L-2T—straightline steps—layback—a huge 2A that covers about 15 feet on the ice WOW!!—combination spin to close. Very happy with herself, and says audibly “Finally!” This girl is beautiful, and has the shape of a real woman. How does she do pairs? Is her partner a bigger guy? Loads of talent in this girl. Wow! Tech: 28.20; Comp: 22.78; Total: 50.98.

Diane Chen (TPE) “Libertango” by Piazzola
2A—spirals with typical positions and wobbly ankles—3S with a fall—flying camel—1T with a 2 foot—layback—combination spin. Nothing to say other than UGH! Tech: 12.99; Comp: 15.17; Ded: -1.00; Total: 27.16.

Laura Downing (AUS) “The Last Samurai”
Dressed in a nice red costume representative of the music—Begins with choreography that gives me hope of a nice performance—3T landed with crossed feet-2T—3S also underrotated—flying camel—Catchfoot Spirals—1A—layback to Biellman—circular steps—wobbly combination spin. I have never seen someone skate with such apathy. I watched this girl in the stands, and she never smiles… she just seems to have a blank look on her face ALL the time. Tech: 11.81; Comp: 13.83; Total: 25.64.

Yan Liu (CHN) “Valley of the Red River”
3L-1T—3R—flying camel—2A—diagonal footwork—combination spin—spirals—layback to close. The Chinese skaters have really been leaving me cold. Sigh. They can mostly do the technical, but the other nontangible “it” is not thre. L Tech: 23.49; Comp: 20.29; Total: 43.78.

Leslie Hawker (CAN) “Smile” from Chaplin
Based upon what I have heard about Leslie online, I was afraidto watch her, but I have to say that the Canadian ladies are getting stronger. Leslie would have been their champ 3 years ago… now she is 3rd! 3L-2T—2F(Darnit!)—straightline steps—fast combination spin—spirals—2A—huge flying sit—layback. Coached by Richar Callahan, and she it being rewarded for it. She is so much better than she gets credit for! Tech: 25.81; Comp: 23.10; Total: 48.91.

Ana Cecilia Cantu (MEX) “Canon in D” (Kind of a Mexican version of it)
Spirals—2A with a step out—fall on a 3F—layback—straightline steps—3S that was underrotated—flying sit—combination spin. Seems to really love to skate, but just has some poor jump technique. She has a very muscular build similar to Emily Hughes, and skates with authority. Better coaching? Tech: 14.50; Comp: 15.83; Ded: -1.00; Total: 29.33.

Tammy Sutan (THA) “Libertango” by Bond
Very striking young lady!—2A with hand down—splat on 3S—layback with beautiful catch foot positions—catch foot spirals—2T that was underrotated—flying camel with 1 or 2 revolutions—straightline steps—combination spin. Tech: 14.01; Comp: 15.71; Ded: -1.00; Total: 28.72.

Ju Eun Choi (KOR) “Shaham” by Veneziano
Fall on 3S to start—3T—BEAUTIFUL layback positions—nice spirals—2A with a 2 foot and step out—circular steps—flying sit—wobbly camel into combination spin. Nice effort, and I think that Yu Na Kim will push the Korean ladies to do better. Korea will most likely have 2 spots for Vancouver, and it would be nice to see these ladies fight for it. Tech: 18.23; Comp: 16.86; Ded: -1.00; Total: 34.09.

Miriam Manzano (AUS) Interesting version on record of “Sabre Dance”
3L-2T to start (eeked out the toe)—1F (Darn!)—2A—flying camel—layback with soft positions—straightline steps—spirals—combination spin to close. Miriam needs better coaching also, and also needs to have some packaging help. Her hair was a mess, and her costume did not suit her skin tone. Interesting, though, that the Aussie ladies are skating more technically demanding programs than their male counterparts! Tech: 19.21; Comp: 19.57; Total: 38.78.

Beatrisa Liang (USA) “Fire Dance” by David Foster (from Salt Lake Games??)
Opens with an all out flying sit—3L-2T—3F—Layback—nice spirals—circular steps with attack and with ice-dance style facial expressions—2A—combination spin to close. Bebe is so close to having everything put together to be a top level competitor. Don’t get me wrong… she is amazing. With a few more clean skates under her belt, and when her braces come off, she is going to ooze confidence, and I think that it is exciting for the US to have such a technically proficient tiger of a skater… very much in contrast to most of our ballerinas. Tech: 34.81; Comp: 26.23. (Why couldn’t she have made the Olys team???!!!)

Akiko Kitamura (JPN) “Music by Shakira”
Dressed in a black unitard. 3L—3F-2T which was labored—combination spin—spirals which were in bad position, and noticably so because of the unitard that she wore—2A—flying sit—straightline steps that are very weak—layback (I wrote “Yawn” in my notes). Seems more suited for pairs. Where are the Japanese men who can skate pairs? UGH! Tech: 22.05; Comp: 21.51; Total: 43.56.

Emily Naphtal (MEX) “The Matrix”
Begins with a 1.5A—Flying camel with donut position—3S-2T both of which were underrotated—combination spin with Biellmans on both feet (take that, Irina!)—spirals—2L—footwork that I blanked on-layback to Biellman to close. Seems to be gunning for a Junior Worlds spot. I can tell that she has the drive, but she needs better leadership for training. Tech: 15.43; Comp: 15.31; Toatl: 30.74.

Yukari Nakano (JPN) “Moulin Rouge”
I love her black unitard which to me says “I am an athlete. Sit back and watch me attack this!” 3L-2T; 3F (eeked out)—flying camel with nice donut variation—spirals that look nice with the costume—2A—layback with fun positions—straightline steps—combination spin. I love the way the choreography and music showcase her power, and seems to hide her faults as best as they can! Tech: 28.12; Comp: 25.41; Total: 53.53. Always skates better in the FS. Look out US Ladies! J

Michelle Cantu (MEX) “Satin Doll” by Ellington
Sister to Ana Cecilia—3R-2T (Crowd goes nuts)—she has huge smile and gained confidence—2S (All of the Mexican skaters have the same entry to the sal, and all of them miss it)—flying sit—spirals in which she sells the performace—2A—layback—striaghtline steps with a nice character to them—back camel to a combination spin. Probably will beat big sis for the Worlds spot. Tech: 20.00; Comp: 17.10; Total: 37.10.

Christine Zukowski (USA) “Firebird”
3L (Hand down)-2T—2R with out of control entry—flying sit—2A—layback—spirals including the infamous Kwan spiral—circular steps—combination spin to close. Lacked the character and attack that she had at Nationals. It was very late, though so I will cut her some slack. Tech: 23.74; Comp: 22.69; Total: 46.43.

I have to run to the FD final flight now, so I will finish after that.

EWalker

On the Ice
Yea-Ji Shin (KOR) "Ritual Firedance"
Coached partially by Frank Carroll and Ken Congemi. 3L—fall on 3S—flying sit—2A—spirals (nothing special)—layback—combination spin—diagonal steps. Really needs help with technique, and needs to attack more. The lack of attack seems to be the thread that ties a lot of these lower ranked ladies together. Perhaps if they skated with command as opposed to fear, they might get better? Tech: 18.58; Comp: 19.38; Ded: -1.00; Total: 36.96.

Lauren Henry (RSA) “Lullaby and Dream Star” by Bond
3S which was underrotated and two footed—a two footed 1A—flying sit—spirals—How many lights are there in the arena? Must start counting. Oh wait! There is a skater performing.—2L—combination rotations (I am NOT going to call that a spin)—circular walking (Sorry, couldn’t resist)—layback to close. I guess that when there are only like 5 skaters in your country, it is easy to make the top 3 and compete at 4CCs. There needs to be some requirement to get into this competition. Perhaps only a jump test at the beginning of competition. If you can’t land a 2A and a triple in 3 tries, you are cut. Technical: 7.30; Comp: 11.51; Total: 18.81. And Yay! The sourpuss Laura Downing (appropriate name, I think) gets to skate in the FS.

Chae-Hwa Kim (KOR) “Four Seasons” by Vivaldi
3L with a step out—layback—3S-2T—2A—straightline steps—flying sit—spirals—combination spin. Nothing of note to say. Tech: 24.49; Comp: 17.88; Total: 42.37.

Dan Fang (CHN) Orchestral version of “Bohemian Rhapsody”
2A—Fall on 3F (coach yelled,and was not happy)—fall on 3L (coach got angrier)—layback—straightline steps—I was distracted by the coach who seemed to get angrier by the second. I was afraid for her—flying sit—spirals—combination spin. Tech: 21.86; Comp: 19.37; Ded: -2.00; Total: 39.23.

Theresa Lin (TPE) “The Mask of Zorro”
The scariest skater of the night by far! Fall on an underrotated 3R—another fall on a 3S in which she fell hard, and smacks her head on the ice so loudly that I almost felt it—layback—(Yes! She continued!)spirals—Fall on 2A—combination spin—straightline steps—flying camel to close. Thank God that was over, and thank God she is alive. Her eye seemed to be swelling in the KnC, and there was a doctor waiting to take her away after her scores were posted. Tech: 10.07; Comp: 14.41; Ded: -3.00; Total: 21.48. And Megan Allely celebrates the fact that she gets to skate the FS!

Pfew! I am caught up! Mens FS comments to come tonight...