Kwan Test Results | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Kwan Test Results

swannanoa54

On the Ice
Rgirl said:
I'm still holding onto my prediction that Michelle will win the OGM, but man, it's going to be a nail biter, finger biter, hand, wrist, and arm biter.

Congratulations, Michelle, on making the Olympic team. Now go out there and show your stuff!:chorus: :rock: :chorus:

Rgirl

Rgirl, how you gonna type if you bite off all your appendages?:rofl:

I don't doubt this. Sure, there are those that are jealous because their faves aren't getting the attention that MK is getting. But you see, there's more to it because I don't even have a favorite and some of this extreme behavior and "I told you so" attitude by some of Kwan's more rabid fans gets to me. So there are two groups in that sense.

Actually I think there are more than just two groups out there. See, I read a lot from Cohen extremist fans and Slutskaya extremist fans (though not as much there). To me, there are mainly two camps of extremist fans, Kwan and Cohen. I don't know why nor do I care really. In some cases I think a lot of the fans are very young and very intense. But then again I've run into some who are my age that make me roll my eyes. I do not like Cohen's skating. It leaves me cold in so many different ways. But I was happy for her when she won Nationals. I think her winning was overshadowed by the "will Kwan get the bye" in a sense and that upset some of her more extremist fans. I also think Kwan extremist fans put an asterisk next to Cohen's win because Kwan wasn't there.

If you look at figure skating fans in general, most aren't so fanatical about it. I am not a Kwaniac, Kwanatic, Cohenhead, or any other thing just because I have a favorite skater. And what's going to happen when they both retire? Will there then be the Meissnerites, Taylormades, Liangadores, Hughesettes and Czisnyatics? Or will the extremists leave figure skating fandom for good when Kwan and Cohen are gone? Almost makes ya go ...hhhhmmmmmmmm.......

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Well, since we're having a group therapy session....

;) I'm kidding with that.

As one of those "fan of the sport" types, here is the only thing that bothers me about people who gush on about a particular favorite. Posters who have a seeming need to put others down to raise up their favorite.

Using this thread (and other related threads) as an example, there have been some posts that to me, were clear put downs of Emily compared to Michelle. Even going as far as to suggest that "Daddy Hughes" was somehow putting family money into....I'm not clear on what Daddy Hughes was precisely being accused of, frankly.

If there is a skater on the planet who can stand on her own right and competitive merit, it's Michelle. So why are the Emily put downs necessary? If there is evidence that the Hughes family in some way tried to "mess" with the rules and process, bring on the evidence. If there is evidence that Emily has acted like a really poor sport, bring it on.

This is an example of the sort of thing that I find tiresome as more of a general fan. As far as what I've seen, Michelle has never publically (or privately to my knowledge) ever put down a competitor to raise herself up. That is one of the things I truly admire about her. I realize only a small % of her fans put others down, but why is that? It doesn't seem in keeping with the type of competitor and public person Michelle has always presented herself to be. I would be shocked and apalled if Michelle was ever quoted saying anything like "well, I am better than Emily Hughes for these following reasons:........___________ so the test came out right." So why do some fans feel the need to do that? I haven't seen a thing that makes me believe this test skate or the bye process pitted Emily and Michelle in personal competition with each other. It's just a process, and the rules are well known.

I still say that Emily has made a huge accomplishment getting to the Oly alternate position, and making the World Team in her first full senior year of competition. And Michelle demonstrated what she needed to, to justify her bye to the Oly team.

DG

nymkfan51

Medalist
I basically agree with you DG, but maybe with a little difference here.

I am getting quite tired of people saying Michelle took Emily's spot on the Oly team ... Emily never had the spot to begin with ... per the rules. IMO, Emily skated rather poorly in her LP and thus, never made any real case as to why she should go instead of Michelle. I don't consider that to be bashing Emily in any way .. it's just the truth.

R.D.

Record Breaker
DG- That's exactly what I'm talking about...in much more detail, of course. I just never understood.

And saying Emily skated "poorly" is definitely negatively charged. I'm not saying it's a bash, but it's not a fact, either. A fact would be saying she made "so and so" mistakes. For example, she had a hard fall in her LP. Maybe to some that's skating "poorly". Others would say it was alright. Still, some others might say that despite the fall, it was great.

Last edited:
Red Dog said:
I remember that she did. I didn't watch it live but saw a tape afterward.

However, the past is of absolutely no concern at the moment. I have no doubt that she's capable of going out with one last emotionally charged skate that her fans will just dig. But the question is, will she fill it with enough technical content to grab the medal or the win over Irina and crew?
RD - I don't think you understand the fans of Kwan. She is indeed capable of going out with one last emotionally charged skate. That' exactly what her fans want. Win or Lose it's Kwan Forever. Her fans are really special. Ask Pat Lipinsky.

Now your point about the technical contents, is well taken, and I agree with you. But you can not get back at the fans if she loses. Yes, it will make all the nonKwans happy but the Kwanfans will still be Kwanfans. That's my point.

It's best now to relax and enjoy the competition and watch Shizuka win the gold medal. and La Kwan skate her heart out.:)

nymkfan51 said:

I am getting quite tired of people saying Michelle took Emily's spot on the Oly team ... Emily never had the spot to begin with ... per the rules. IMO, Emily skated rather poorly in her LP and thus, never made any real case as to why she should go instead of Michelle. I don't consider that to be bashing Emily in any way .. it's just the truth.
There are some RULES that people do not want to be enacted in certain cases only. Let them wallow in their dreams.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
RD - I don't think you understand the fans of Kwan. She is indeed capable of going out with one last emotionally charged skate. That' exactly what her fans want. Win or Lose it's Kwan Forever. Her fans are really special. Ask Pat Lipinsky.

Now your point about the technical contents, is well taken, and I agree with you. But you can not get back at the fans if she loses. Yes, it will make all the nonKwans happy but the Kwanfans will still be Kwanfans. That's my point.

That one sentence you said..."Win or lose, it's Kwan forever."- it's thinking with that mentality that gets to me. I'm sure I may not fully understand the Kwan fan because I'm not one myself! But at the same time, I don't think many of you understand the non-Kwan mentality. I really don't. The mere fact we're even having this discussion proves it.

I don't see a real need to "get back at the fans" because there's nothing I can do to stop their fanaticism. And there's nothing they can do to make me join them. And I agree with your last statement.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
nymkfan51 said:

We're on the same page, at least from my opinion. I do not have the opinion for a second that MK took anything from Emily. And I'm tired of that stuff too. And I've not seen one SHRED of evidence that Emily thinks "Michelle took something from her" any more than I've seen a single shred of evidence that MK feels she took something from Emily.

I actually admire both of these athletes and their families for handling the top end of an elite sport, with mega (much of it probably unwanted) media attention, and doing all of that with good sportsmanship. My hat is off to all who have the stomach and back bone it takes to compete at the top level of this (or any other) sport. IMO, this experience will serve both of these young women well in their lives, as less "pressworthy" experiences will also be valuable to others who we hear less about.

Side note to Joe - your RULES comments have been prevalent today / yesterday. Since my handle was part of your quote (about 2-3 posts back), please let me know if there is some comment of mine you are interested in.

DG

Red Dog said:
That one sentence you said..."Win or lose, it's Kwan forever."- it's thinking with that mentality that gets to me.
But Dog, why does Joe's passionate declaration get to YOU? What's it to YOU if JOE is crazy about the girl?

I'm crazy about my wife. I don't expect you to be. :cool:

mzheng

Record Breaker
swannanoa54 said:
And what's going to happen when they both retire? Will there then be the Meissnerites, Taylormades, Liangadores, Hughesettes and Czisnyatics? Or will the extremists leave figure skating fandom for good when Kwan and Cohen are gone? Almost makes ya go ...hhhhmmmmmmmm.......
You bet, if any one of them stay longer enough! What happened now will happened in future, if FS gathering enough fans, and internet boards provide a easy accessable place each of them can bitching at each other with their typing.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Be proud of her but you don't have to put down other fans and skaters in the process.

Millie, exactly what part of my comment put down other fans and skaters? Jealously is a natural instinct which everyone exhibits from time to time. A question was asked and I stated my opinion. Michelle has competed against and has lost to Tara, Sarah, Sasha, and Irina. I didn't put down these ladies for winning. You have to admit that even in defeat, Michelle comes out with positive press and accolades. Did I say anything that wasn't true? Thank you, Piel, for elaborating on my comments. 42

mzheng

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
I don't see a real need to "get back at the fans" because there's nothing I can do to stop their fanaticism. And there's nothing they can do to make me join them. And I agree with your last statement.
Well, I thought that's what you've been doing all along and try to make your point at all along. :confused:

The whole argument against Kwan fan putting down Emily in this thread just absurd. Look at this thread title, it's about Kwan's Test, all this argument was invoked by some Kwanantic pitched in saying Kwan took away Emily's spot, so it's Kwan fans fault in defending Kwan?

Last edited by a moderator:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Well said. It's these types of comments that set people on edge. OK, she got to go to the Olys! No need to rub salt along with it, too!

Red Dog............whose wound did I rub salt in? Did I insult anyone?

Also, I can't watch a sport, any sport, or a competition, or even go into Baskin Robbins without a favorite flavor in mind. I find it hard to believe when I read that fans of figure skating don't have a fav........oh come on now. There isn't one skater that makes your skin tingle, your stomach knot up when they compete, or makes you sit on the edge of your seat when they go into a jump? :) 42

nubka

Final Flight
Red Dog said:
Easier said than done. This is not just a case of one, two or even ten fans who adore MK and gush about her to no end. That can be dealt with by ignoring said thread or post. But included in this fanbase is a group of people who put down other skaters and fans in order to "raise" MK up. There is this incessant need to "settle a score" with anyone who doesn't share their viewpoint on kwan. And personally, I can do without that. Maybe some of you guys can, but I can't.

The comical thing? I see poster after poster getting either "ripped on" or "talked to" if they are non-Kwan or anti-Kwan. But let's say someone feels the same way about Irina? Or Cohen? Not a peep. (OK, lately I've been seeing a few Cohen defenders coming out of the woodwork). But that's it for me. This has been played out. Kwannies, enjoy your victory. I'm sure your "Kween" will do well at the Olys.

BRAVO, Red Dog !!!

R.D.

Record Breaker
show 42 said:
Red Dog............whose wound did I rub salt in? Did I insult anyone?

Technically, no, you didn't insult anyone. You had the perogative to say what you did. If I may quote it below (post #75):

One reason, in my opinion, is jealously. Even losing the top spot, she outshines the winner. That's the mark of a true champion and icon. Some fans of other skaters who have bested Michelle...........fans of Tara, Sarah, Sasha, Irina, etc. perhaps are frustrated that their favs "moment of glory" have been over-shadowed by Michelle, win or lose, just being in the competition.

Now, I see no need to draw the conclusion that ALL non-Kwans are "jealous" of MK. That just doesn't click IMO, and throws more fuel in the fire. These type of comments tend to put nonfans on the defensive. I somewhat agree with the last statement, though- there's some (and I said only SOME) truth to it.

I could nitpick some more, but I'd rather not.

Also, I can't watch a sport, any sport, or a competition, or even go into Baskin Robbins without a favorite flavor in mind. I find it hard to believe when I read that fans of figure skating don't have a fav........oh come on now. There isn't one skater that makes your skin tingle, your stomach knot up when they compete, or makes you sit on the edge of your seat when they go into a jump? :) 42

I understand where you're coming from, but it EXISTS! I truly don't have a favorite.

However, this does not mean that I don't get "anxious" during live major competitions. I always feel that "rush" during that last flight at Nationals...especially when Cohen and kwan skate. Or whenever I'm following live pbps of Worlds...My explanation for this is the "thrill of competition". I love it. (not to mention I always hold my breath whenever Cohen jumps. I always anticipate her falling or messing up somehow.) Or any of the other top competitors for that matter, but for her it's like a big ?

The Olympics should be the most exciting comp in a long time. Hopefully Irina doesn't build a 10 point lead in the short program because that would be boring.

Red Dog said:
Now, I see no need to draw the conclusion that ALL non-Kwans are "jealous" of MK. That just doesn't click IMO, and throws more fuel in the fire.
Red Dog, will you please read the quote that you are responding to here. Do you see the word ALL? (No) Do you see the word SOME? (Yes) Are you seeing the words that are on the page, or are you seeing the words that you want to see?

R.D.

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Red Dog, will you please read the quote that you are responding to here. Do you see the word ALL? (No) Do you see the word SOME? (Yes) Are you seeing the words that are on the page, or are you seeing the words that you want to see?

This is the quote that show responded to originally:

I have always been bemused as to why anyone could intensely dislike Michelle Kwan.

And it was brought up that a possibility was because of "jealousy". And YES, to me, this is indicating that anyone that doesn't like MK is "jealous". One doesn't have to say it- it's implied.

I already pointed out that I understand, and partly agree with, the last comment, which had the word "some" in it like you pointed out.

JMO. You may not agree.

Red Dog said:
And it was brought up that a possibility was because of "jealousy". And YES, to me, this is indicating that anyone that doesn't like MK is "jealous". One doesn't have to say it- it's implied.
This is simply a false statement on your part, RD. "One reason" (among many) for "some fans" (not all) "perhaps"...

This does not "imply" that "anyone who doesn't like MK is jealous." Think about it.

nubka

Final Flight
Piel said:
Unfortunately for Tara, Jenny, Sarah, Sasha, and all of the other gals who have come on to the scene during the Kwan years, it has been mostly just bad timing.

Interesting! Is there anyone else here (as OLD as me,) that followed ballet in the 60's - early 70's? Reading Piel's post about the 'Kwan years', made me think immediately about the "Suzanne Farrell years' at the New York City Ballet. Because she was Balanchine's muse and he loved her dancing, most of the other ballerinas at NYCB got the shaft and basically no attention (and no new roles), for many, many years...)

I'm not saying other skaters have gotten the shaft because of Kwan, it's just that when I read Peil's post, 'The Farrell Years' popped right into my head. In fact, you usually can't even read a biography about Balanchine without reading about the Farrell years...

Sorry, for getting off topic.

I will say this about the all-mighty media (and this doesn't pertain to just skating.) So many times, the media pushes certain individuals at us everywhere (magazines, newspapers, books, merchandise, etc...) I have nothing against Julia Roberts, Angelina Joile, Lindsay Lohan, Jennifer Anniston, Ophra, etc, but they are pushed in our faces so much, that it just TOTALLY turns me off. The same can be said about certain sporting personalities, singers, etc.

Is it possible to simply get sick and tired of seeing someone's face over and over...? (even though you may admire their talent)

Now I'm really off topic!

Doggygirl said:
Side note to Joe - your RULES comments have been prevalent today / yesterday. Since my handle was part of your quote (about 2-3 posts back), please let me know if there is some comment of mine you are interested in. DG
DG - Not directed to you or anyone in particular. It's just when I was in favor of giving Mao and exception to the Rule, so many had said one can not break the rules.
We now have learned that if a skating official asks a skater in Dance or Pairs for a sample to test for drugs it's ok to have the skater tell them to have a partner to test instead of the one that was asked to. Single skaters can not do that. They must test. I think that's the 'gray' area another poster spoke of. Apparently, the lack of a few months for Mao's eligibility for the Olys was not enough to consider it 'gray'.

I'm not making an argument here. It's just a general statement on behalf of the strict interpretation that some posters gave on the rules of the game. I am pointing out that the gray area is selective.

Joe