Now that it's official, can Michelle win the OGM? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Now that it's official, can Michelle win the OGM?

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Red Dog said:
I don't believe that's not going out on a limb. Those who actually think she'll be on the podium in a field of world-class competitors in a high-stakes competition like the Olys are the ones going out on a limb. JMO of course.

These people are smoking something I think. Sorry. Atleast it is not as bad as earlier in the year when some were thinking she was a real contender for Oly gold. Her venture onto the GP circuit this year brought reality into play for most though.

Vash01

Medalist
Tonichelle said:
the "roar" she will get? I've read that Americans haven't really shown interest in travelling to Turin... if that is the case and America is in teh minority in the stands will she still get that huge reaction? just asking, not knocking her. Is she still that popular over in Europe?

I don't think 4 triples and a smile will get her the gold medal even if Irina and Sasha buckle under pressure... Tara and Sarah won because of the amount of triples not just because others didn't bring their game with them...

Typically North Americans do go to competitions in another continent. Of course it won't be like SLC, but there will be lots of people from the US there. Remember, Michelle has skated in isolation (almost), with the exception of the Marshalls. Any crowd appreciation is going to energize her. I think she will give it her all.

About the 4 triples- this was not her Olympic skate. It was a skate to prove that she can skate at a high level (triple jumps, level of difficulty) and that she could be ready in time for the Olympics. I am sure she is going to do more triple jumps (I think about 6) in her LP in Torino.

You are right- Tara and Sarah won because of the triples in their programs but it was under the 6.0 system which emphasized landing clean triples above everything else. In the COP Michelle will get points for other things too, and it sounds like she has upgraded those other skills.

Vash

Vash01

Medalist
sk8rgrl3 said:
Everyone keeps talking about jumping. Have we all forgot spinning? Unless the spins gods have come down and given her level 3 and 4 spins, there is no way she is on the same level as Irina, Sasha, Carolina, or any of the Japanese skaters.

Have you seen her most recent spins? I don't mean what she did at Marshalls.

She is nowhere the spinner that Sasha or Irina is, but you don't have to be the best spinner in the world to win. All you need is a 'better than everyone else' skate. She is capable of doing that.

Vash

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I think if she has one of her bring down the house/on fire/passionate/tearing up before she finishes the footwork... kinda skates and Irina or Sasha falter then she could absolutely win the OGM. I think that Irina's PCS scores are usually grossly inflated, her presentation is just not on par with either Michelle, Shiz or Sasha in my opinion. However Irina seems to have the jumps lately.

If she skates as well as she did at 04 nationals she will have a good shot.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Hi everyone I have been registered for quite a while but never posted.
Apparently the spin gods have visited MK. In one of the articles
that I read on her test skate the reporter stated "the spin she did at
the end of the session would stack up against anyone in the world"
I think she has a chance just as much as the other skaters.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Vash01 said:
Have you seen her most recent spins? I don't mean what she did at Marshalls.

She is nowhere the spinner that Sasha or Irina is, but you don't have to be the best spinner in the world to win. All you need is a 'better than everyone else' skate. She is capable of doing that.

Vash

You said she was doing now all level 3 and 4 spins according to the article. I read the article you linked and it indicated nothing of the sort to me.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
demarinis5 said:
Hi everyone I have been registered for quite a while but never posted.
Apparently the spin gods have visited MK. In one of the articles
that I read on her test skate the reporter stated "the spin she did at
the end of the session would stack up against anyone in the world"
I think she has a chance just as much as the other skaters.

I will take anything an American reporter, who is not a known skating writer, says with a grain of salt based on past recollection.

Vash01

Medalist
slutskayafan21 said:
You said she was doing now all level 3 and 4 spins according to the article. I read the article you linked and it indicated nothing of the sort to me.

I had not linked an article earlier, so I don't know which one you are talking about.

However, the following article says that all her levels were 3 or 4 (I assume it means the footwork and the spins). However, I would caution everyone that they may or may not represent official scoring.

http://www.usfigureskating.org/event_story.asp?id=32817

It still indicates that she has upgraded her programs to suit the COP scoring.

Vash

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Vash01 said:
I had not linked an article earlier, so I don't know which one you are talking about.

However, the following article says that all her levels were 3 or 4 (I assume it means the footwork and the spins). However, I would caution everyone that they may or may not represent official scoring.

http://www.usfigureskating.org/event_story.asp?id=32817

It still indicates that she has upgraded her programs to suit the COP scoring.

Vash

I will bet you 100$ if you want that many of her spins and footwork will be graded level 2s in Turin. So what if U.S officials tell the press they are level 3. They have good reason to promote her chances.

sk8rgrl3

Rinkside
slutskayafan21 said:
I will bet you 100$ if you want that many of her spins and footwork will be graded level 2s in Turin. So what if U.S officials tell the press they are level 3. They have good reason to promote her chances.

Especially, considering the scoring seemed to be a little "inflated" at Nationals. Even Johnny Weir made a comment on that.

From the article posted above by Kathy:

Michelle said:
“One of the reasons why I put in the petition is that I do have a shot,” she said. “I can’t tell you the percentage of winning gold. But that's why I have Mathman."

Odds against:

Irina: 9 to 11
Sasha: 8 to 1
Shizuka: 11.5 to 1
Carolina: 16 to 1
Miki: 24 to 1
Fumie: 24 to 1
Michelle: 32 to 1
Elena S.: 32 to 1
Joannie: 32 to 1
Other: 19 to 1

Tip of the day. Right now the official over-under for how many gold medals Russia will win overall is 7.5. Since they are probably going to win 4 in figure skating alone, jump on this before the guys in Vegas get wise. (The .5 must be in anticipation of another voting scandal and double gold.)

The over-under for the U.S. is 9. If you have any insider knowledge of how the investigation of Navka and Kostomorov is going, this may be one less for Russia, with the U.S. odds going up a little.

Remember, you read it here first.

MM ;)

PS. I made all this up (except the over-under lines). Do not gamble on the Internet. You will lose all your money and end up in the poor house.....Although ... Shizuka at 11.5 to 1...)

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
slutskayafan21 said:

Why shouldn't the U.S. Officials promote MK she is on the
U.S. Team. I see no problem with the officials promoting any
of the U.S. Ladies, they should. I would like to see SC or MK
win gold.

Vash01

Medalist
Just curious- what were the odds against Sarah Hughes winning the OGM in 2002?

Vash

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
demarinis5 said:
Why shouldn't the U.S. Officials promote MK she is on the
U.S. Team. I see no problem with the officials promoting any
of the U.S. Ladies, they should. I would like to see SC or MK
win gold.

I have no problem with that, but that means one should take things like what they claim will be levels on spins, etc...with a grain of salt. Like I said I would be willing to be money with somebody the article will be proven wrong as far as the levels come Turin.