Should Nationality Be Important for a Skater to Consider? | Golden Skate

Should Nationality Be Important for a Skater to Consider?

I've been reading posts that Sasha has to skate well for her country. We know the Russians do consider their nationality very very important.

I think a competitor's first consideration is to win for him/her self. If the country gets off on that, so be it. But I do not think a skater has to carry that burden around.

I love the sport so just give me beautiful skating from anywhere, and they don't have to win.

Joe

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I think it is very bad to make skaters think that their country is "counting on them". It is simply too much pressure. Look what happened to Midori Ito. I read that, during the '80s, American ladies who lost the OGM to skaters from Communist countries were made to feel like traitors (I don't know if this is true, this was just from an old article I read somewhere).

Furthermore, an athlete's job at Olys, especially when it is in a foreign country, involves more than just medaling. Remember the track guys who wrapped themselves in a flag and made fools of themselves? Before Athens, there were special classes given to athletes on how to behave -- in victory as well as defeat. IMO, Michelle Kwan handling her defeats in '98 and '02 gave a much better picture of Americans than these guys did, and, she did her country as much of a service (if not more so) than she would have done by winning the gold.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
On the one hand, I think any skater just goes out there to skate their best; if it get their country honors, so much the better.

OTOH, I think that nationality is (deservedly) very important to, for example, the Israeli athletes. Every sports achievement for Israel is indeed an achievement that breaks stereotypes and really "sticks it" to many many many people.

Another example of athlete obviously considering his country is the Iranian Judo fighter who refused to compete with the Israeli during the Athens Olympics. As I recall Iran actually rewarded the SOB, while the IOC did not dare sanction the whole team...

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Of course the athletes are representing their countries and most are proud to be doing so. It's the way they show their nationalism that's important. Spare me the Neanderthal "U-S-A! U-S-A!" chant, or the joyless Eastern bloc athletes of the Cold war era acting as if their wins proved the validity of their political system.
How many of you remember Paul Wylie in Albertville? When asked if he thought he should have won, he just grinned to his ears and said, "I get to see my flag go up!"
Nationalism doesn't get any better than that, IMHO.
xoxo
Rave

R.D.

Record Breaker
I believe all the athletes at the Olympics are ambassadors (sp?) to their countries. In that sense, they have a responsibility as ambassadors to (for lack of a better phrase) make their country look good.

Now, as for cheering based on nationality, I think that's the whole spirit behind the Olympics. IMO, it only gets out of hand when POLITICS gets in the way. I think here in the US it's so diverse that there isn't quite that "rah-rah-USA" factor in play like there might be in some other countries, ESPECIALLY countries that are sending fewer than 10 athletes.

JMO

Red Dog said:
I believe all the athletes at the Olympics are ambassadors (sp?) to their countries. In that sense, they have a responsibility as ambassadors to (for lack of a better phrase) make their country look good.

Now, as for cheering based on nationality, I think that's the whole spirit behind the Olympics. IMO, it only gets out of hand when POLITICS gets in the way. I think here in the US it's so diverse that there isn't quite that "rah-rah-USA" factor in play like there might be in some other countries, ESPECIALLY countries that are sending fewer than 10 athletes. JMO
TheOlympics are full of people who just want to be Olympians. they are usually of royal blood, and grown sons and daughters of the elite.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
TheOlympics are full of people who just want to be Olympians. they are usually of royal blood, and grown sons and daughters of the elite.

Some of them, sure. But it's a rather sweeping statement to make (IMO) if you're talking about most or all of the Olympians. There are stories all over the place of great sacrifice on part of the athlete and the family to get to where they are. Even many of the successful ones (such as Kwan) had to go through hardships at one time or another. Not everyone can become an Olympian. It's quite an accomplishment for those to make it there. Of course, for the VERY top, it's either win or you're a failure. But not in most cases.

K-Mo

On the Ice
If a country looks good because of a skater, so much the better, but I think it should be the icing on the cake, not the ultimate goal.On the other, hand, I don't think that if a skater skates poorly, it should reflect on the country. I think any Olympian should be proud to compete representing the best thier country has to offer, but I think they should first and foremost compete for themselves.

R.D.

Record Breaker
K-Mo said:
If a country looks good because of a skater, so much the better, but I think it should be the icing on the cake, not the ultimate goal.On the other, hand, I don't think that if a skater skates poorly, it should reflect on the country. I think any Olympian should be proud to compete representing the best thier country has to offer, but I think they should first and foremost compete for themselves.

If you are responding to my comment, I'm referring more toward the way an athlete BEHAVES (conducts himself) rather than the way he PERFORMS in his event.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Joe:

Nice sentiments, but unfortunately even in figure skating nationalism raises its "ugly head" eventually. When skaters first begin to compete - more at a club level let's say, it's all in fun and for his/her satisfaction, but once they move on to the big leagues - Olympics for example and Nationals and Worlds - well then one does skate more for ones country. It's a lot for some skaters to bear. Some find it is too much and decide to bow out.

I think Canadians as a rule take competition in stride. We are not big flag wavers here, so we try to keep level-headed about it all. We cheer for our skaters and other athletes no matter how it turns out. Of course, we are darn proud if they do win the gold or the big game, but if they don't we are still proud of them for making it that far. After all, none of us could.

Red Dog said:
Some of them, sure. But it's a rather sweeping statement to make (IMO) if you're talking about most or all of the Olympians. There are stories all over the place of great sacrifice on part of the athlete and the family to get to where they are. Even many of the successful ones (such as Kwan) had to go through hardships at one time or another. Not everyone can become an Olympian. It's quite an accomplishment for those to make it there. Of course, for the VERY top, it's either win or you're a failure. But not in most cases.
I think you are talking about the top 10 skaters. I'm talking about the entire Olympics. The royal houses of Europe always have their sons and daughters in the Olys especially skiing. Of course there is the serious skier. Check out Bode Miller.:biggrin: then there is the Jamaican Bobsled team who go there and have a ball. Gena Davis (the Lady President) has tried out for the Olympics in Archery. The Summer Olys are full of athletes who want to be an Olympian.

Top ten athletes are serious.

Joe

S

SkateFan4Life

I would love to see the athletes compete in the Olympics without feeling such a heavy burden of pressure to win, win, win. Of course, they want to do their best, and if they do win, so much the better. Unfortunately, some athletes, coaches, famililes, and countries embrace the notion that "winning isn't the main thing - it's the only thing". Athletes from the old-Communist countries were expected to medal, and if they did not, they had to reckon with the powers that be when they returned home.

At the 1988 Olympics, Petr Barna of Czechoslovakia had a poor competition and finished in 16th place overall. The Czech skating association was so upset at his poor showing that he was sent home immediately after the men's competition and was not given the chance to stay and enjoy watching the other events.

At the 1980 Olympics, Linda Fratianne of the US considered herself to be a "failure" because she finished second to East German Annet Poetszh. It took her years to get over her disappointment.

Of course, those are extreme examples. I'm sure that the majority of athletes compete, do their best, accept the results, and then get on with their lives.

On the other hand, if you enter the Olympics as a favorite for the gold medal and perform poorly, it's tough to swallow. But, that's life.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Ptichka said:
On the one hand, I think any skater just goes out there to skate their best; if it get their country honors, so much the better.

OTOH, I think that nationality is (deservedly) very important to, for example, the Israeli athletes. Every sports achievement for Israel is indeed an achievement that breaks stereotypes and really "sticks it" to many many many people.

Another example of athlete obviously considering his country is the Iranian Judo fighter who refused to compete with the Israeli during the Athens Olympics. As I recall Iran actually rewarded the SOB, while the IOC did not dare sanction the whole team...

Well at least that was one individual and criticism of one fanatic is one thing...what about the US boycott of the 1980 games - pretty despicable if you ask me.

Ant

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Red Dog said:
I believe all the athletes at the Olympics are ambassadors (sp?) to their countries. In that sense, they have a responsibility as ambassadors to (for lack of a better phrase) make their country look good. JMO
Red Dog, I am 100% in agreement with you...........and not only at the Olympics but in everyday practice. Anyhow, that's how I feel about my nationality.

Dee

Red Dog - We are at odds again. No ambassadors to the Olys.

I am a figure skating fan and I don't care where the athlete is from who I think is the best that night, for one thing. For the more important thing, I am all for the skater who I believe has the best body of work over the years. That athlete is special wherever he/she comes from.

I don't care what country these athletes come from, and in America, I couldn't care less about their ancestral background. Just give me good skaters for the sport.

To me, anyone who is hung up on the nationality of the skater is more interested in the country in every which way than just in figure skating. Nothing wrong with that but I'm not impressed with what you have to say about figure skating.

But that's me. You can be yourself and hopefully the success of your country rubs off on you. (except for Kwan in your case.;) )

Joe

JanJam

Rinkside
Hmm... these athletes were picked by their respective countries to represent their own countries in this international competition. The athletes SHOULD carry the burden of doing it for their country and handle the pressure; if they can't, then they have no business representing their country in the Olympics and should just stay home.

You may be right Jam Jam, but I always thought the athletes were picked by their Federations in accordance with the rules of the OIC and not by their Heads of State. I just can't imagine the Republican Party not picking Emily.:laugh:

Joe

antmanb said:
Well at least that was one individual and criticism of one fanatic is one thing...what about the US boycott of the 1980 games - pretty despicable if you ask me.
The sad and ironic thing is that the only people who sufferered from this political decision were the U.S. athletes.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
I think a competitor's first consideration is to win for him/her self. If the country gets off on that, so be it. But I do not think a skater has to carry that burden around.

I love the sport so just give me beautiful skating from anywhere, and they don't have to win.

Joe

I agree with Joe's basic premise. However, nationality comes into play in very important ways that cannot be ignored. For example:

The number of skaters that a COUNTRY can send in the following year's Worlds or Olys depends on placement in the current year. For ex, Silverstein/O'Meara would not be going to Turin had Tanith & Ben not made the podium for the U-S-A the previous year.

Athletes march into the Opening Cermonies behind their flags, not as individuals.

For some independent protectorates (non-nation nations), the Olys are their ONLY moment to shine, e.g., Puerto Rico. IWhenever PR wins an Oly medal it is in the Summer Games & usually in boxing...but I can assure you that traffic halts & an 'island holiday' is declared (just like when P.R. wins Miss Universe Beauty Pageant). :laugh: