Sports Illustrated picks Cohen to win. | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Sports Illustrated picks Cohen to win.

S

SkateFan4Life

bronxgirl said:
And how often has Sports Illustrated been right about their selections for the Final Four, the Super Bowl or the World Series? If they can't get their predictions right about sports they're supposed to know, I trust their figure skating (and any other Winter Olympic prediction) about as far as I could throw the entire staff of the magazine.:biggrin:

Sports Illustrated picked Brian Orser over Brian Boitano in 1988, and we know what happened there. They based their predictions on past performances, but it's pretty difficult to factor in the unforseen, the unpredictable, illnesses, and who knows what else that can throw a monkey wrench into the scenario.

mememe

On the Ice
The Associated Press is picking Irina, Shizuka, Sasha for ladies medals in that order.

S

SkateFan4Life

mememe said:
The Associated Press is picking Irina, Shizuka, Sasha for ladies medals in that order.

Frankly, that sounds like a pretty darned good prediction.

equestrianguy

On the Ice

mememe

On the Ice
The rest of the AP picks for those interested:

FIGURE SKATING
Men
GOLD — Evgeni Plushenko, Russia
SILVER — Stephane Lambiel, Switzerland
BRONZE — Jeffrey Buttle, Canada
Women
GOLD — Irina Slutskaya, Russia
SILVER — Shizuka Arakawa, Japan
BRONZE — Sasha Cohen, United States
Pairs
GOLD — Tatiana Totmianina and Maxim Marinin, Russia
SILVER — Zhang Dan and Zhang Hao, China
BRONZE — Maria Petrova and Alexe Tikhonov, Russia
Dance
GOLD — Tatiana Navka and Roman Kostomarov, Russia
SILVER — Elena Grushina and Ruslan Goncharov, Ukraine
BRONZE — Tanith Belbin and Ben Agosto, United States

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Sasha is definitely a strong contender for gold, especially with her current LP. Based on what we have seen from her over the years, however, I think she is more likely to win an Olympic Silver Medal. I have to pick Irina for the OGM at the present time (and I say this as a Sasha fan and non-fan of Irina).

mzheng

Record Breaker
Ogre Mage said:
Sasha is definitely a strong contender for gold, especially with her current LP. Based on what we have seen from her over the years, however, I think she is more likely to win an Olympic Silver Medal. I have to pick Irina for the OGM at the present time (and I say this as a Sasha fan and non-fan of Irina).

I agree with you. This is a logical choice. But there is just so much drama leading into the Turino, anything could happen.

Vash01

Medalist
I am happy to see that nobody is picking Michelle win. So she has a shot at the gold. At the last two Olympics those who were not expected to win, won the gold.

Irina is sick again, from what I just read on fsuniverse. It could be serious- if any stress makes her ill- and it could make a difference in the results at the Olympics.

Vash

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
mzheng said:
I agree with you. This is a logical choice. But there is just so much drama leading into the Turino, anything could happen.
Defintely. As we saw in Salt Lake, the ice is slippery and anything can happen. I am also crossing my fingers that we will see MK somewhere on the podium.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Vash01 said:
Irina is sick again, from what I just read on fsuniverse. It could be serious- if any stress makes her ill- and it could make a difference in the results at the Olympics.

I read about it there, too. That's not a good thing. However, I'm optimistic about the chances of her making a full recovery and being ready for the Olympics. At the same time, one just has to wonder how much stock one can put in her taking this one in a landslide.

tarotx

On the Ice
Well If Sasha ends up winning Silver or Bronze the way Michelle did because of the SI curse I'll be happy with that :)

mememe

On the Ice
ladysarahchatto said:
Oh no-the Sports Ilustrated jinx. :/

Actually, the "Sports Illustrated curse" is really just a cover-thing; that is, people put on the cover of Sports Illustrated tend to not do what they are touted to do. Just picking people to win medals is not part of the SI "curse." As long as Sasha, Irina or Michelle don't end up on the cover of SI before their competition, the magazine shouldn't be able to "curse" them.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
mememe said:
Actually, the "Sports Illustrated curse" is really just a cover-thing; that is, people put on the cover of Sports Illustrated tend to not do what they are touted to do. Just picking people to win medals is not part of the SI "curse." As long as Sasha, Irina or Michelle don't end up on the cover of SI before their competition, the magazine shouldn't be able to "curse" them.

Don't say that! Isn't Bode Miller on the cover?

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
thisthingcalledlove said:
Don't say that! Isn't Bode Miller on the cover?

Maybe the curse doesn't affect athletes if they drink when they compete. ;)

Sorry, bad joke.

P.S. to Bode fans, I don't hate Bode at all, so it's not a dig against him.

ladybug

On the Ice
I just hope that the best skater wins and no hanky panky from the judges especially with the PCS scores. However, my heart is still pulling for Michelle.

Oceanguy

Rinkside
Tenorguy said:
Mathman -

People better not make Irina mad - honey, she will Bielman herself 3 feet down through the ice!

Tenorguy
OMG I about fell out of my chair when I read that......I simply cannot wait to see how everthing falls into place. AB:agree: