What kind of tights do you like to wear for practice? | Golden Skate

What kind of tights do you like to wear for practice?

brinababy87

Rinkside
I wear in the boot or over the boot tights. But over the boot tights tear easily so I get the Mondor ones that have more cotton in them. They're a little thicker. :)

Lanie

On the Ice
Just normal tights. :) I meant in the boot. I think my brain is dead from my polisci exam today.

Usually what I do is wear normal tights, then a pair of OTB tights over that. Though I guess it's sort of silly since I can just wear some thin socks with my skates...

Last edited:

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
It depends. If I'm practicing in a skirt or dress, I wear overboots, as I would for testing. If I'm wearing warm-up pants or tights (I have an old pair of riding breeches I use sometimes) I wear a pair of footed tights under them. (For that matter, I double-layer the footed under the overboot when I use those. I STILL freeze, but it adds a little warmth.)

The Mondor overboots don't run as easily? Hm. Maybe I'll get those--I have Capezio overboots right now and they're starting to shred.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
Typically, in the boot. If it is really really cold I'll wear my heave Mondors, which are footless, and too thick to comfortably tuck inside the boot so then I will wear them over the ankle.

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
As I am from Serbia, there's nowhere to buy tights, so I don't have a lot of them. I have a few thights in the boot and a few over the boot. When I am watching skaters, there are no rules, it deppends of the skater, how it looks on her. Personally, I like all kinds of tights, but I think that over the boot and in the boot are the best for competitions. Stirrup are perfect for practice (if your skates are looking nice;) ).My skates are not white, so for now, the best for me are over the boot tights.

peachy

Rinkside
for practice i wear footed ones (in the boot) with over the boot tights over top for warmth... plus, having the over-the-boot tights helps keep my skates tied, and it helps protect the boot

Mrs Redboots

On the Ice
I normally wear footed tights (supermarket 40 or 60 denier black ones are fine for practice) and lycra boot-covers, but this week I've been wearing a very heavy pair of stirrup tights and knitted boot covers, it's been so cold! Today I wore sweatpants , which I often do if we aren't going to work at our lifts.

For competition, always over-the-boot tights, which I do keep for best (they're expensive!).

peachy

Rinkside
Mrs Redboots said:
For competition, always over-the-boot tights, which I do keep for best (they're expensive!).
yeah the over-the boot tights are expensive!!! i have a competition/test pair i save and keep nice, and then when they start to get holes i retire them to be used for practice and get new over the boot tights for competitions

Mrs Redboots

On the Ice
Whoops, sorry about that. Should be fixed now.

Incidentally, if any British skaters are lurking, I see that Lidl are planning to sell 100-denier tights in a variety of colour or sizes next week for about £2.99 a pair. I plan to stock up.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Brinababy--based off your post, I got the thicker Mondors for my new pair (I'm death on all tights--I LOOK at them and they run) for my test next week. We'll see how they work. (I just hope they're warm--I get so cold at that rink...)

Skate@Delaware

On the Ice
I wear to the ankle tights (lately 2 pairs together), but I put then inside my boot to sort of pad my ankle.

I wish I could find stirrup tights that have a nice seam (or even seamless) at the stirrup part. Maybe I should look at a dance supply store. I like my ankles to be covered, but not my feet.

lindasaffell

Rinkside
Haven't tried tights yet!?

Hi All,

I am new to skating this year, and so I haven't yet worn a dress and tights (I am still at the skating-in-jeans-or-yoga-pants stage). I have been reading that it's good to skate occasionally in a dress so you feel more comfortable if you test in a dress. I haven't yet tested at all (obviously :chorus: ) but am considering the idea -- so that's my perspective on favorite tights.

I usually don't feel very cold at the rink, so is it that different when you wear a dress? I would go for a long-sleeved dress for sure. I am thinking I would probably prefer footless tights, so I could wear whatever socks I feel most comfortable with. Do the over-the-boot tights really help keep you warm? I have to say I've always liked the look of skating boots and wasn't really thinking of over-the-boot tights. You all have me rethinking that!

Mrs Redboots

On the Ice
lindasaffell said:
Hi All,

I am new to skating this year, and so I haven't yet worn a dress and tights (I am still at the skating-in-jeans-or-yoga-pants stage). I have been reading that it's good to skate occasionally in a dress so you feel more comfortable if you test in a dress. I haven't yet tested at all (obviously :chorus: ) but am considering the idea -- so that's my perspective on favorite tights.
Time enough to skate in a practice-skirt and tights when you get a little more advanced, but yes, it is a good idea sometimes.

But if I may be so bold, it is not a great idea to skate in jeans - you really want something that moves with you, not that you move inside. Your yoga pants, or sweatpants, are a far better idea. Plus when you fall over and get them all snowy, jeans can be horrendously clammy - think how serious hikers won't wear them for walking in.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
I have leotards and skirts from a dance store I use for practice once in a while (and my first tests) and after a year of skating got my first real skating dress--it's definitely different and I'm glad I wore it for a lesson today before the test next week. It helps to get the feel for it, and it does feel different! I also tried my new overboot tights and I LOVE the Mondors with velcro closures--they're warm and they don't slip up the boot.

Jeans--well, there's one guy at my old rink who does skate in them, and he has all his doubles. They seem to work for him, but I have to admit all of us raised an eyebrow the first time he wore them. I would think they'd have to be soft jean material rather than anything stiff. But everyone where I work wears practice dresses, tights, or warm-ups of some sort. When I don't wear skirts, I wear inexpensive warm-ups over a leotard and tights, and sometimes an extra shirt over the leotard.