Olympics: To be spoiled...or not? | Golden Skate

Olympics: To be spoiled...or not?

eliza88

On the Ice
Who is going to go to the Spoilers folder daily and who is going to be BRAVE??

I love watching the events as they unfold...but alas, nerves and my pesky impatience cause me to peek! I will try try try to stay away from that wonderful spoiler folder but oh the temptation! I think I can handle waiting for them to air the LP's, but I don't think I can handle the SP's unspoiled...

eliza88

nymkfan51

Medalist
There is no way I could go unspoiled. I'll be chomping at the bit to find out anything I can!!! :rofl:

emma

Record Breaker
Well, I keep developing elaborate schemes to stay unspoiled...but it is just soooooooooooo tempting....I hope I stay unspoiled, but I guess I don't really trust myself (or any of my friends) to let me stay that way.

R.D.

Record Breaker
my initial plan was to go unspoiled, but exams on Wed. and Thurs. of that week are starting to tempt me to find out the results of the SPs ahead of time, but remain unspoiled for the freeskate. I don't know, I guess we'll see. It's a bummer they're not being shown live.

Lucy25

Final Flight
Heck no, I will watching most of the skating live on CBC. The school where I teach has mid-winter break the week of Feb 19th, so it is perfect timing. I would love to think that I could go unspoiled, but I know I could never do it.

tarotx

On the Ice
Red Dog said:
in that case, how did you make it through US nationals? :biggrin:

I watched the short live, biting my nails all the way.

I recorded the long and then went the bar! Came home. Checked online. Found out that Sasha won and watched my tape.

isk82

On the Ice
I can't stand to watch big competitions live - I can't enjoy the performance - way too nerve-wracking!!! So I will definitely be spoiled!

Mafke

Medalist
I find that knowing the results ahead of time (when possible) removes the tension from who won, to how they won and makes it easier to focus on the details of performance.

I believe the Greeks had the same approach to drama, when everybody knew how it ended before the play began they pay less attention to 'what's going to happen?' and more attention the individual journeys of the characters.

I reccommend spoiling, highly. Anymore I do the same with big events shown live (like Euros) record it without watching much and checking out the final standings before watching the individual performances.

havanamesa1

Rinkside
No one will be spoiled in single ladies' skating. Someone has already won and we all know who that is.

eliz88 - It won't be easy not to know the results until the comps are shown on TV.

DO NOT GO NEAR CNN, ABC, CBS, ESPNS OR THE RADIO

DO NOT SCAN NEWSPAPER HEADLINES AS YOU PASS BY A NEWSSTAND

DO NOT SPEAK TO ANY OF YOUR FRIENDS OR THOSE AT WORK WHO KNOW YOU LOVE FIGURE SKATING

KEEP YOUR TV VIEWING TO LIFETIME STORIES AND CARTOONS

STOCK UP ON QUICK MEALS AND DONT LEAVE YOUR HOME.

AND DO NOT BY ANY MEANS GO NEAR A FS FORUM

TAKE A TRIP TO COZUMEL

If you follow the above tips, you will never want to do this again.

Joe;)

antmanb

Record Breaker
Definitely unspoiled

I'm going to definitely be unspoiled...that means giving up the internet til i get to see the competition!!!

Thankfully for me Eurosport usually cover the whole of the skating live and because i think all the events are scheduled for the evenings i should be clear to watch them all live...except that i might miss the first couple of groups with Torino being an hour ahead of my time zone.

The excitement of not knowing is what makes it so entertaining...i'm usually on my feet like the coaches living every jump as the skater does them!! Usually i rewatch the skaters i like straight away so that i can look at the program rather than going through the technical with them!!

Ant

tarotx said:
I recorded the long and then went the bar! Came home. Checked online. Found out that Sasha won and watched my tape.
I thought I was the only one who did that. :laugh:

I wouldn't mind flying to Toronto, check in a hotel and watch it on TV if it is Live and complete. I could stay maybe two or three nights. Anyone know when the Men's SP and LP are scheduled?

Joe

Norlite

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
I wouldn't mind flying to Toronto, check in a hotel and watch it on TV if it is Live and complete. I could stay maybe two or three nights. Anyone know when the Men's SP and LP are scheduled?

Joe

Feb. 14 & 16

antmanb

Record Breaker
jonesgirl said:
Feb. 14 & 16

How strange - in Nagano the mens LP was on Valentines day....the only reason reason i know this is because a close friend got married on that day...needless to say i found it easy to remain unspoiled that day!!

Ant

MissCleo

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
eliz88 - It won't be easy not to know the results until the comps are shown on TV.

DO NOT GO NEAR CNN, ABC, CBS, ESPNS OR THE RADIO

DO NOT SCAN NEWSPAPER HEADLINES AS YOU PASS BY A NEWSSTAND

DO NOT SPEAK TO ANY OF YOUR FRIENDS OR THOSE AT WORK WHO KNOW YOU LOVE FIGURE SKATING

KEEP YOUR TV VIEWING TO LIFETIME STORIES AND CARTOONS

STOCK UP ON QUICK MEALS AND DONT LEAVE YOUR HOME.

AND DO NOT BY ANY MEANS GO NEAR A FS FORUM

TAKE A TRIP TO COZUMEL

If you follow the above tips, you will never want to do this again.

Joe;)

Great, I'll have to go into solitary confinement for a while.
I love to be surprised, so on one had, I dont want to know the results until I see it. But, not knowing will kill me!