Olympics: To be spoiled...or not? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Olympics: To be spoiled...or not?

JanJam

Rinkside
havanamesa1 said:
No one will be spoiled in single ladies' skating. Someone has already won and we all know who that is.

No excitement for me either. I'll just check by how many points the judges made sure Irina would win over the silver medalist.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
eliz88 - It won't be easy not to know the results until the comps are shown on TV.

DO NOT GO NEAR CNN, ABC, CBS, ESPNS OR THE RADIO

DO NOT SCAN NEWSPAPER HEADLINES AS YOU PASS BY A NEWSSTAND

DO NOT SPEAK TO ANY OF YOUR FRIENDS OR THOSE AT WORK WHO KNOW YOU LOVE FIGURE SKATING

KEEP YOUR TV VIEWING TO LIFETIME STORIES AND CARTOONS

STOCK UP ON QUICK MEALS AND DONT LEAVE YOUR HOME.

AND DO NOT BY ANY MEANS GO NEAR A FS FORUM

TAKE A TRIP TO COZUMEL

If you follow the above tips, you will never want to do this again.

Joe;)

I'd say stay away from any computer (with Internet access), TV, person, or public area. To GUARANTEE being unspoiled, just sleep for the entire day. Unfortunately, that's not an option for me.

CantSpin

Spectator
Spoilers

Mathman said:
I thought I was the only one who did that. :laugh:
Nope! You're not!! That's exactly what I do, too! Check on line, then watch the tape!

I remember for Worlds 2000 or was it 2001 (whichever was was in Nice), I didn't have a computer at home and I was so nervous about the results that I drove into the office to check online!:laugh: Found out Kwan had won, jumped up and down, and relaxed until the broadcast!:rock:

antmanb said:
How strange - in Nagano the mens LP was on Valentines day....the only reason reason i know this is because a close friend got married on that day...needless to say i found it easy to remain unspoiled that day!!
It is easy for me to remember that February 14th is Valentines Day, because that's Yuka Sato's birthday. :)

OT -- Which, by the the way, she and Jason will be skating at the Winter Blast in downtown Detroit tomorrow (I already saw Charlie White skate yesterday -- he warmed up the crowd for Smashmouth). This is the big celebration going on in connection with the Super Bowl on Sunday. Besides skating, you can go down the big snow slide, go for a dog sled ride -- all sorts of cool stuff.

http://www.motownwinterblast.com/experience.html

rain

Record Breaker
I will absolutely be going spoiled. I actually find I enjoy the competitions more if I know the results beforehand, lol. Last Olympics I remember watching the Pairs LP live.....my stomach was in knots.

CantSpin said:
I remember for Worlds 2000 or was it 2001 (whichever was was in Nice), I didn't have a computer at home and I was so nervous about the results that I drove into the office to check online!:laugh: Found out Kwan had won, jumped up and down, and relaxed until the broadcast!:rock:
Oh, yeah!!!! Nice, 2000. Michelle was toast. She had turned in a lack-luster qualifying round performance, finishing second to Slutskaya while defending World Champion Maria Butyrskaya won the other division. Then in the short she barely hung onto her flip and finished third. So going into the free skate it was Maria first, Irina second, and poor Michelle a distant and hopeless third.

Only a miracle could save her now. She not only had to skate the performance of her life to take first, but also the skate gods would have to smile on her and place Slute ahead of Maria. Plus, the Red Violin had proved a challenge for her all season, and her triple-triple was somehow missing in action. I couldn't bear to watch...

And then...and then...AND THEN....

I love this sport!

MM :)

PS. Michelle is the only skater to have come back and regained the World Championship four times, in 1998, in 2000, in 2003, and in 2007. Oh wait, I mean three. So far. :)

sk8rpatty

Rinkside
MM, you just gave me goose bumps! That has to be one of my favorite perfomances by Michelle.

I will attemp to remain unspoiled, but I know how hard it is.

In 1998, the morning of the Ladies FS I had my staff meeting with the 20+ people who worked for me at the time. First thing out of my mouth was "do NOT tell me who won, I want to find out when I watch tonight". I was quite firm in my request. Then one employee straggles in 5 minutes late and blurts out "Tara won and Michelle was second". The whole room gasped and went dead silent wondering what I would say to this employee. I finally just laughed, but I was actually quite ticked off. He did feel really bad when the group told him what I had said before he walked into the room...

I may have to call in sick this year.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Wow, that sucks. I hope that doesn't happen to me this year.

At least Torino isn't as far ahead as Japan is, so the results wouldn't be available till mid-afternoon (on the East Coast). Still, one will have to bear the evening news and dinner discussions in order to make it all the way.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Are you KIDDING??? I will be exactly where I was 4 years ago: on my laptop in the living room, watching the TV coverage but totally being SPOILED in advance by my Golden Skate friends who are watching it from other parts of the country/world. :chorus: :agree:

At the same time, my husband will be pulling the same scene as he did 4 years ago:

"I don't want to know anything in advance..."

"Can you just give me a hint of how she does?"

"But DON'T tell me anything because I don't want to know!"

:rofl: :laugh: :rofl: :laugh:

R.D.

Record Breaker
RealtorGal said:
At the same time, my husband will be pulling the same scene as he did 4 years ago:

"I don't want to know anything in advance..."

"Can you just give me a hint of how she does?"

"But DON'T tell me anything because I don't want to know!"

:rofl: :laugh: :rofl: :laugh:

well...did you end up telling him? :laugh: