Michelle | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Michelle

millie

Medalist
Joesitz said:
Why don't we hear more about Johnny Depp? He has legions of fans (more than any figure skater). He prefers to be out of the limelight unless he is forced by the producers of one of his films to make the rounds.

Sasha enjoys the limelight. Michelle doesn't. Why carry on about this?
If you must know the gossip, the skater would need to have papparzzi around all year.

kyla - I apologize for being so blatant about this. You are right to want to know more. I overreacted because I can wait for the Olys. Sorry.

Joe

Let's talk about privacy. Those people that are in the public eye depend on the public and the fans to keep to keep their careers going. If fans and the public were't interested in what they are doing and just turn of the T.V. or not go to the competitons, there would be no ratings and money for these stars or skaters. It's not like they are not depending on the public. Yes they should have privacy when it comes to their private lives but when it comes to their profession, which is in the public eye, they should keep their fans informed. It's not the matter of gossip, it's knowing how they are doing in their professional lives not their private lives. They depend on the public, that's where their money comes from.:)

swannanoa54

On the Ice
millie said:
Let's talk about privacy. Those people that are in the public eye depend on the public and the fans to keep to keep their careers going. If fans and the public were't interested in what they are doing and just turn of the T.V. or not go to the competitons, there would be no ratings and money for these stars or skaters. It's not like they are not depending on the public. Yes they should have privacy when it comes to their private lives but when it comes to their profession, which is in the public eye, they should keep their fans informed. It's not the matter of gossip, it's knowing how they are doing in their professional lives not their private lives. They depend on the public, that's where their money comes from.:)

Whoa, I disagree with that completely. There's absolutely no reason for any athlete to keep their fans informed of what (or how) they are doing in their professional lives. I can just see it now.

Fans gathered at every practice because they just HAVE to know what's going on in their favorite's professional life. Goonies with laptops so they can get on the boards and give out all the information to satisfy some misplaced lust for knowledge of their favorite's every practice. Salivating over the edge of the skating rink as the favorite passes by trying to get a practice in yet having to stop as the goonies reach to touch them.

Sorry, this is just not a good picture for me. See, I think every single athlete is entitled to privacy in both their professional and private lives just as I think celebrities of the mindless variety are entitled to the same thing. I think it's "over the top" fans of any of these people that make it necessary for athletes/celebrities alike to take precautions and keep secrets.

I never care what any figure skater's music is. I can wait for the first competition. I'd like to know that Kwan is recovering on track from her injury, but only when she's ready to let us know. I'd like to know more about her practices, but don't care enough to question the secrecy. I'd like to know more about Irina's health, Sasha's practices, and all things that I am not privileged to know, but I'm not going to be a "goonie". Nor am I going to rely on those who seem to want to know every single second of someone's life. It's just too stalkerish for my taste. And let me qualify this: I'm not saying that anyone asking these question is "stalkerish" or what I call a "goonie", but you have to admit, there are some whacked out fans out there who have to know every single thing and that just makes me :banging:

Paul Neuman and Joanne Woodward never give info out about their private lives.

Stars who need publicity gladly give it to the media. Think nick and jess.

Papparatzi is never the way to go except for the struggling would bes.

Skaters who need publicity will usually have a diary to consult. Has anyone looked on Amber Corwin's diary?

Skaters are human and want their privacy. They don't owe anything to their fans.
Strategy may play a role in the tight lipped skaters and it may play a roll in the loose lipped skaters. Their choice!

R.D.

Record Breaker
swannanoa54 said:
Whoa, I disagree with that completely. There's absolutely no reason for any athlete to keep their fans informed of what (or how) they are doing in their professional lives. I can just see it now.

Fans gathered at every practice because they just HAVE to know what's going on in their favorite's professional life. Goonies with laptops so they can get on the boards and give out all the information to satisfy some misplaced lust for knowledge of their favorite's every practice. Salivating over the edge of the skating rink as the favorite passes by trying to get a practice in yet having to stop as the goonies reach to touch them.

Sorry, this is just not a good picture for me. See, I think every single athlete is entitled to privacy in both their professional and private lives just as I think celebrities of the mindless variety are entitled to the same thing. I think it's "over the top" fans of any of these people that make it necessary for athletes/celebrities alike to take precautions and keep secrets.

I never care what any figure skater's music is. I can wait for the first competition. I'd like to know that Kwan is recovering on track from her injury, but only when she's ready to let us know. I'd like to know more about her practices, but don't care enough to question the secrecy. I'd like to know more about Irina's health, Sasha's practices, and all things that I am not privileged to know, but I'm not going to be a "goonie". Nor am I going to rely on those who seem to want to know every single second of someone's life. It's just too stalkerish for my taste. And let me qualify this: I'm not saying that anyone asking these question is "stalkerish" or what I call a "goonie", but you have to admit, there are some whacked out fans out there who have to know every single thing and that just makes me :banging:

ITA. And since the Olys are coming up, everyone wants as much info as possible. I'm pretty happy with the info I have now.

kyla2

Final Flight
Frank Carroll Comment

O.k. I ran across this on another site. Frank Carroll said that Michelle was doing "o.k." per sources that he has. But apparently he made the o.k. sound not really great. I have mixed feelings about this coming from him. I think he should be more circumspect about what he says because of their previous skating-coach relationship. It pains me to say this because I absolutely love Frank Carroll. I am not terribly worried about Michelle becasue o.k. is much better than not so good in my book, and she has a few weeks to go. So this is some news I suppose. I wonder if she will be at the Opening Ceremonies?

R.D.

Record Breaker
Rumor mill is alive and kicking that MK might carry the (American) flag at the ceremonies. So who knows?

KFC

Spectator
kyla2 said:
O.k. I ran across this on another site. Frank Carroll said that Michelle was doing "o.k." per sources that he has. But apparently he made the o.k. sound not really great. I have mixed feelings about this coming from him.

Didn't he also allegedly say that the whole petition was a ruse and that Kwan was going to withdraw the request? I'd take any of his comments with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
kyla2 said:
I am not terribly worried about Michelle becasue o.k. is much better than not so good in my book, and she has a few weeks to go.

It's closer than even "a few weeks" now...isn't the ladies' SP two weeks from today? Time's running short.

VINLUVSKWAN

Rinkside
As much as I hate to burst the bubble and be the Devil's advocate, I think it's a smarter strategy that MK keep away from the crowds and not choose to be the US team flag-bearer, first because she runs the risk of catching an infection [flu, pneumonia, severe cold] and secondly, she does not have the benefit of time and mental focus on her side. But FORTUNATELY, those triples are back, except maybe for the least consistent one, the 3loop. I think her main worries now, in her words, are upgrading the levels of her non-jump elements, the jump entry/exit choreography, i.e. the inbetweens, and the other BIG thing that separates her from Ira, Sasha, and Shizuka - the spins. Actually I think MK's spins are on par with the other ladies [Miki, Joannie, Carolina] in terms of levels, granted Miki has the Bielmann. Michelle's strengths are clearly her spirals and footwork, and if she maintains/retains MUCH of Tarasova's choreography, she should contend for high PCS.
Realistically, what it comes down to for Michelle is how much are her hips and groin muscles still affecting her jumps and the speed of her spins, how soon her feet feel comfortable on the Italian ice rink [compare this to her Moscow QR where she said she didn't "feel her skates/feet"], how she can block out the other competitors and stay in her zone, and how much COP-adaptability has she retained in her short exposure to the NJS. Other than that, she'll be fine.:rock:

Last edited:
Kathy said:
Interesting new articles about MK's image and popularity

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=page.feature&FeatureID=196

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/13815326.htm

She sure has the respect of mainstream America for what she's already done.

I'm so hoping she can pull off two great skates at the Olympics, but even if she cant she should be so proud of her accomplishments.
I said Kwan and Bode Miller will be the most hyped because they are the most popular.