Ladies from TV | Golden Skate

Ladies from TV

Katy has to be the most delightful skater in the whole of figure skating both on and off the ice. Not unlike Dorothy Hamil. Good win for her.

If Bebe ever gets the clean program going, we'll be seeing medals of a different color than bronze. She is dyn - a - mite.

Nakora seemed ok. She too, has consistency problems but a deserved silver.

Joe

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
BeBe has it all! If Kwan retires she is my new U.S. ladies favorite. Katy reminds me so much of Tara lin both looks and personality. IMO she is a better skater than Tara.

Wow! Bebe with, IIRC, which I'm sure I don't :) the third highest SP score with her skate here! Dyn-o-mite is right! I wish ESPN would have showed BeBe's SP. You can bet if she were going to the Olympics they would have done 20 minutes on it. But such is the plight of the "Olympic orphans," as I call them. I think BeBe and her coaches have only two words to work on for next season: Long program.

I agree that Katy Taylor at 16 has that natural pleasant nature that Dorothy Hamill had at 19. Sixteen is a tricky age for girls though, bodywise. I'm hoping the skating and puberty gods will work together in Katy's favor. I find her absolutely delightful to watch.

Nakano, boy, what a study in contrasts, at least for me. She has a huge leg wrap, but not on every jump. It's an awful air position, but there she is, landing jumps till the cows come home. I never had a leg wrap, but I also never had a triple jump, lol, but I understand that once a skater gets the habit, it's virtually impossible to change. Ironically, Midori Ito had quite a leg wrap, except on her 3Axel. Same with Yukari. I can't imagine anybody doing a 3Axel with a leg wrap. It would slow down the rotation too much, I think.

One of the commentators mentioned that Nakano's coaches were trying to get her to smile more, especially in her LP. Maybe it was at GPF, but I've seen her do that program smiling most of the time and she really lights up. Now that's a habit I hope she learns, because she's such a beautiful young woman.

Finally, interesting to see Mai Asada. I'm guessing they trained together, probably especially early on, which could account for a lot of the similar movement styles. But a lot of it also seems so genetic, things like their whole posture; the way their legs cross in the air on jumps; even the use of the hand flutter, which I know is choreography but they both do it so beautifully. Like Katy Taylor, it will be interesting to see if Mao's body changes much in the next couple of years. At any rate, it was great to finally see Mai.

Rgirl

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Rgirl said:
At any rate, it was great to finally see Mai.

Rgirl
I thought so too Rgirl and what a beautiful girl.

Dee

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
Katy has to be the most delightful skater in the whole of figure skating both on and off the ice. Not unlike Dorothy Hamil. Good win for her.
Joe

I totally agree, Joe! Boy, if this isn't the next All-American Skating Sweetheart, then I don't know who is. She has it all -- talent, naivetee (non-phony) & gorgeous looks! [I'm old enough to remember dancer Vera Ellen of 1950s movies...'White Christmas' and many other films. Katy is her 'twin' in face...down to the pugged nose! Anyone else who remembers Vera Ellen agree with me?]

To me, Katy is the absolute-antithesis to the sophistication & slight arrogance of a Sasha Cohen. Could you ever picture Sasha, for example, not knowing that there's $15,000 paycheck for having won an event??? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I wish a great career for Katy. Hopefully she will maintain her genuinely sweet qualities. Yeah, even if she knows about the almighty dollar...but it's possible to think about the money & maintain a humble character in interviews and such (like Michele has through the years). :rock:

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I agree that katy has incredible charisma! Good job for her pulling off two lovely programs and then being so refreshing and candid in her interviews. Anyone think that Hummer will give her a car for all the air time she got them?

childfreegirl

Final Flight
Longhornliz said:
I agree that katy has incredible charisma! Good job for her pulling off two lovely programs and then being so refreshing and candid in her interviews. Anyone think that Hummer will give her a car for all the air time she got them?

They'd better. They'd be crazy not to.

Anyway, it was good to finally get to see Mai and Lesley Hawker. Very refreshing.

Vash01

Medalist
Last year I thought Katy Taylor was way overrated. After watching her at US nationals I thought she just had a good day. After watching her at 4CC I am a believer. She definitely has a future.

Sadly, I am no longer sure about Bebe Liang. She has so much talent, but she always makes big mistakes in the free skate. That is not going to help her. She really had a chance to win this one, after placing 1st in the SP. The other thing I would like her to do is get a nice costume, and not wear what looks like a swim suit for a swimming competition. She has good choreography. I would like her to choose better music, and a pretty costume, and of course clean up those jumps. She has the raw material to be at the top, but at this point I am not sure if she has the mental toughness.

I was sorry to see Yukari's triple axel being just a bit short of rotation. The COP uses a yes or no type scoring for the rotations. IMO they need to reward skaters who try to do more difficult jumps/moves but are not 100% successful. These days we are seeing skaters avoid those difficult jumps. In pairs some are doing just a split double twist to avoid making a mistake on a split triple. I think the sport is disappearing, and so is the art (I talked about this in the mens thread).

Yukari is a lovely skater but she was way too serious this time. She had a lot more excitement in her face in other competitions. I wonder if she got nervous at the prospect of winning this one?

Interestingly, all the ladies had difficulty on the triple loop. The altitude seemed to affect almost every skater. I wonder how the altitude will impact the results in Torino?

Vash

Vash01 said:
I wonder how the altitude will impact the results in Torino?
It shouldn't be a factor. The altitude of Torino is about 900 feet above sea level, compared to 6000 for Colorado Springs.

Vash01

Medalist
Mathman said:
It shouldn't be a factor. The altitude of Torino is about 900 feet above sea level, compared to 6000 for Colorado Springs.

Wow! I did not know Torino was at such a low level.

Vash

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I went to the gmc website and clicked on the "contact us" link and sent a short note saying I would like to see them support figure skating, and that Katy Taylor would be a great person to consider for endorsements. Probably wont do any good... but the more advertising bucks the networks get for skating, the better coverage we will get.

I also sent a love note to tlc thanking them for ice diaries.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Katy was delightful. Too bad they didn't show Bebe's short program, but I'm glad she medalled in the end. I was very impressed with Lesley Hawker's program :)love: "The Mission" music, even though it seems like a number of skaters are using it - :love: it for Matt too).