Footwork levels - what does it take to get a level 3 or 4? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Footwork levels - what does it take to get a level 3 or 4?

mzheng

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
What I like about Lambiel's footwork is that he keeps the character of the music throughout as well as in the entire program.

Plush will just go bravado and more bravado in his footwork a la Yagudin without reference to the character of the music. JMO.

Joe

I agree you on Lambiel's footwork with music. But I think it might be a little too difficut for him, falling twice in fw during Eropean? It was late in the season, don't you think by now, the footwork should be fluently?

Plush's was called level 3, but her quality was superbal, he should've got at least +2 GOE and I have no objection if all were +3........It's just so painful to look all those skaters stumble, tripped through the footwork (a little too difficult for them). Change edges, positions forever in spins, non position hold long enough let you appreciate the beauty of spin.

Kasey

Medalist
As far as I know, the only single skater to get level 4 for a step sequence is Daisuke Takahashi, earlier this season (I think LP at Skate America at least).

With Michelle's skate in Moscow where she was not familiar with CoP, she was able to place 4th, .1 behind 3rd. She beat out 26 skaters and almost 27. You gotta agree that's not bad for a skater who just skated a 6.0 routine.

With the knowledge and work put in now, how well would she be in the Olys if there were no injuries? IMO, definitely podium.

What will she be in Torino with no practice of what she has learned for 3 critical months? IMO, haven't a clue. It's a wait and see.

Joe

mzheng said:
I agree you on Lambiel's footwork with music. But I think it might be a little too difficut for him, falling twice in fw during Eropean? It was late in the season, don't you think by now, the footwork should be fluently?
This question is not pointed at you directly, mzheng, but to all posters. What is it about the last skate one sees that this is where the competitor is at?

I can't recall Stephane having a history or falling on his footwork. I agree he has trouble with a 3A. That has happened several times. Just because he didn't fall on the 3A at Euros, I am not convinced that he will never fall on it again.

Joe

Engwaciriel

On the Ice

I think he said in an interview afterwards that he just lost focus because he was so happy to have completed everything else...just hoping for better focus at the olympics..:)

Engwaciriel said:
I think he said in an interview afterwards that he just lost focus because he was so happy to have completed everything else...just hoping for better focus at the olympics..:)
Exactly. It was a one time thing. I don't judge skaters on the last routine I see them do.

As for the question: What does it take to get a level 3 or 4? My answer:

SHOWMANSHIP

gkelly

Record Breaker
Joe, showmanship has NOTHING to do with the levels, which are measures of the technical content.

Showmanship is an aspect of HOW the step sequences are skated, which would affect both the grades of execution and the component marks.

gkelly said:
Joe, showmanship has NOTHING to do with the levels, which are measures of the technical content.

Showmanship is an aspect of HOW the step sequences are skated, which would affect both the grades of execution and the component marks.
Your right gkelly. I was just being fascetious.:)

Joe

JanJam

Rinkside
Joesitz said:
With Michelle's skate in Moscow where she was not familiar with CoP, she was able to place 4th, .1 behind 3rd.

And wasn't this 4th place finish only due to the QR scores? I think Kwan's SP and LP were both ranked 3rd, so hypothetically without the QR (which won't be part of the Olympics), she really had CoP podium-level skates with her 6.0 programs at Worlds. While I think that the gold is out of her reach (it's already reserved for someone), I don't think she's out of contention for the silver or the bronze.

Kasey

Medalist
I thought the reports from Michelle's test skates were that all elements were level three and four. She could have level 3 footwork and level four spirals, or spins.

Perry

Rinkside
Mathman said:
MZheng, thanks for the link to JWCardinal's post on the MK Forum. Very complete analysis.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know if this helps, but here is what the official ISU rules have to say about how the levels are determined. (Scroll down to page 14.)

http://www.isu.org/vsite/vfile/page/fileurl/0,11040,4844-166267-183485-89562-0-file,00.pdf

1. Variety of (complex for level 4) turns and steps throughout.
2. 3 (4 for level 4) changes of skating or directional rotation.
3. Change (quick changes for level 4) of speed (not because of a stop).
4. Modest (full use of for level 4) upper body movement.
5. Quick changes from steps to turns.

For a level 2 you must meet 2 of these five criteria, 3 for level 3 and 4 for level 4.

Types of steps and turns are classified as:

1. Basic
Turns: 3-turns, Mohawks
Steps: Progressives, chasses

2. Variety
Turns: Must include three different methods of turning, e.g. three turns, twizzles, brackets.
Steps: Must include three different steps, e.g. progressives, toe steps, chasses, etc.

3. Complex
Turns: Must include more than three different turns, e.g. brackets, counters, rockers, twizzles, Choctaws.
Steps: Must include three different steps )e.g. running steps, progressives, toe steps, chasses) used in multiple directions.

Turns and steps must be balanced in their distribution throughout the sequence.

MM

I believe USFSA (unofficially -- it's not written in the rules but it's what the callers look for) clarified the rules after Sectionals this year. You now need three different types of turns on each half of the sequence to count as a variety of turns.