The Biography Channel goes skate-happy | Golden Skate

The Biography Channel goes skate-happy

Spirit

On the Ice
According to Heather's skating on TV site, the Biography Channel is re-running some of their figure skater episodes many times throughout this week. I notice episodes for Peggy Fleming, Scott Hamilton, Michelle Kwan, and Katarina Witt.

Last edited:

brinababy87

Rinkside
I didn't know Sasha had an episode on the Biography channel. :)

EDIT: Sorry, I was a little confused by the way you worded it. They're repeating her PR episode.

Spirit

On the Ice
No, I worded it precisely the way I meant to. It was just that I was flat out wrong in what I was saying. :)

You are correct -- no Biography episode for Sasha. But she published her autobiography as a book, so we have that, instead.

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I just finished watching the peggy flemming bio which I had recorded earlier. It was nice, and I enjoyed seeing old footage of her skating. Interesting to hear that her mom was such a "skating mom". I had seen the lifetime intimate portrait some years ago and i think it must have been more recent than the biography because it discussed her breast cancer episode which I doubt they would have just left out of the production.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
They also ran a movie last night, "The Tai Babilonia Story." It looked like late-1980s schlock drama for the most part, basically about how poor Tai was so pressured and how she was an alcoholic and on pills and tried to kill herself and how much pressure she was under. Aside from the general bad acting (except William Daniels--wish I knew John Nicks enough to know how good a caricature that was) I'll give it some credit for not making Nicks or Randy Gardner into bad guys pushing Tai. (Her family might have wanted to register some complaints, though.)

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is this channel the same as A&E??? I'm so confused. :biggrin:

Dee

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Dee4707 said:
Is this channel the same as A&E??? I'm so confused. :biggrin:

Dee

No, its A&E's sister station, Biography Channel... all bios all the time with a little crime spee thrown in for good measure! Hope that answers your question...

Despite your use of that damn :biggrin:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I also think it's a digital channel (correct me if I'm wrong) because I have basic cable and don't get it...(but get A&E)

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
I also think it's a digital channel (correct me if I'm wrong) because I have basic cable and don't get it...(but get A&E)

It is... we currently have "That Darn Dish Is Out Again" so it is also available for satellite users.

S

SkateFan4Life

Spirit said:
According to Heather's skating on TV site, the Biography Channel is re-running some of their figure skater episodes many times throughout this week. I notice episodes for Peggy Fleming, Scott Hamilton, Michelle Kwan, Sasha Cohen, and Katarina Witt.

You know, I think it's a bit premature to have Sasha Cohen featured included in this group. If you count major titles, it's not even close:

Peggy Fleming - 3 US titles, 3 World titles, 1 Olympic gold medal
Scott Hamilton - 4 US titles, 4 World titles, 1 Olympic gold medal
Michelle Kwan - 9 US titles, 5 World titles, 1 Olympic silver medal, 1 Olympic bronze medal
Katarina Witt - 6 European titles, 4 World titles, 2 Olympic gold medals
Sasha Cohen - 1 US title, 2 World silver medals, no Olympic medals

R.D.

Record Breaker
no Oly medals for Cohen- I think that will change in three weeks or so.

Besides, Cohen does NOT have a Biography episode. This must be a mistake on part of the poster

I

IcyBallerina

Red Dog said:
Besides, Cohen does NOT have a Biography episode. This must be a mistake on part of the poster

Sasha was on Project Runway--the costume designs were a hoot.

Icy B's Mom

Spirit

On the Ice
Red Dog said:
It was. It didn't occur to me earlier to edit my original post. I've done that now.

Cal Girl

Rinkside
I never knew all these skating shows were made or were on TV. Does anyone have a link to skating specials such as this?

S

SkateFan4Life

IcyBallerina said:
Sasha was on Project Runway--the costume designs were a hoot.

Icy B's Mom

The entire show was a hoot, as far as I'm concerned! :rofl: