MK sighting in Torino!!! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

MK sighting in Torino!!!

bird10

Spectator
bronxgirl said:
Doesn't any athlete get flu shots? Safe, effective, especially if a flu virus decides you're home for the duration of the Olympics. I don't understand why this isn't a routine vaccine for these jet setters competing around the world, exposed to all sorts of other peoples germs:sheesh:

There are different strains of the flu virus. The flu vaccine can't begin to cover all of them, so just getting the vaccination is not a guarantee against all the various strains that are out there. I receive a flu vaccination every year, some years, I luck out and do not come down with the flu; other years, I haven't been so fortunate. In addition, not everyone can receive the vaccine. For example, if you are allergic to eggs, the vaccine is out.

bronxgirl

Medalist
bird10 said:
There are different strains of the flu virus. The flu vaccine can't begin to cover all of them, so just getting the vaccination is not a guarantee against all the various strains that are out there. I receive a flu vaccination every year, some years, I luck out and do not come down with the flu; other years, I haven't been so fortunate. In addition, not everyone can receive the vaccine. For example, if you are allergic to eggs, the vaccine is out.

There is a difference between the flu and a bad head cold (although both would be detrimental to performance by an athlete). The CDC epidemiologists are usually quite accurate about predicting which 3 strains will be most likely to affect the United States. And I've had far more patients tell me they just didn't want to take the vaccine because of misinformation than they have an egg allergy

S

SkateFan4Life

Frau Muller said:
Also, she may be among the skaters who are interviewed in tomorrow morning's TODAY Show. The line-up for TODAY's initial Torino program, tom'rw, includes "American figure skaters."

Maybe we'll get the ultimate 'double-delight' -- JOHNNY AND MICHELLE? 'Cause I'm dying to see & hear Johnny...and, as TODAY transmits 'live,' we may be in for some gems from Johnny!

Excellent! I'm sure the "Today Show" will seize every opportunity to interview our American figure skaters, skiiers, bobsledders, hockey players, speed skaters, etc., etc.!

Can't wait for tomorrow night! LET THE GAMES BEGIN! :clap: :bow:

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
If I were an athlete, I'd hole up somewhere else. Way too much crowding and germs in the Village (I pick up URIs if I'm standing fifty feet from someone who coughs) plus I've heard it's a bit party-hardy at times. While I think those who do decide to stay should be gracious about the less-than-four-star accomodations (yes, Johnny, I'm looking at you) I don't think anyone should be criticized for staying where they think best.

It's tomorrow! They start tomorrow! Oh, I hope I don't get stuck working TOO late....

millie

Medalist
Michelle had a very nice interview with Katie. She looked lovely and seems to be in great shape. She said that she was still having problems with her triple Salchow and the doble axel, but hopes that it will all come together when she gets on the ice. From what I gathered, she is staying in the Olympic village. Good luck to Michelle and all the athletes.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN.

Lucy25

Final Flight
millie said:
Michelle had a very nice interview with Katie. She looked lovely and seems to be in great shape. She said that she was still having problems with her triple Salchow and the doble axel, but hopes that it will all come together when she gets on the ice. From what I gathered, she is staying in the Olympic village. Good luck to Michelle and all the athletes.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN.
I heard her say that she had to avoid the triple sal and the double axel because of her injury, but that was in reference to when she was first injured. I did not hear her say that they remain problems.

The interview is on the Olympic website and on the MKF in the Cloud Nine Downloads section.

The weather looks so nice there in Turino! I know they are having way above average temperatures right now. It was a nice interview and she looks very relaxed.