mao asada vs. yu-na kim: figure skating's next star? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

mao asada vs. yu-na kim: figure skating's next star?

Yu-Na Kim vs. Mao Asada: who will be ladies figure skating's next star?

• yu-na kim

Votes: 64 44.8%
  • mao asada

Votes: 58 40.6%
  • othere (specify)

Votes: 21 14.7%

• Total voters

krenseby

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
By the 2010 Olys, Caroline Zhang will be in the mix for the podium. remember, you heard it hear first.:cool:

Joe

With all these names being listed, we forget that FS is like Survivor - some skaters stay competitive, while others get eliminated.

Miki Ando is sort out of the mix - not as close to medaling as the other Japanese skaters, though she showed a lot of promise. So at least one of the four promising ladies- Yuna Kim, Katy Taylor, or Kimmie Meissner, or Mao Asada will be the pewter finisher or lower.

Well actually if Sasha and Fumie stay very strong.. then two of these skaters will have to finish below them... So I could probably guess that Asada is the only one who has proved consistent enough to make it to the podium a couple of times. Kim may still flounder by having occasional or frequent subpar performances, sort of like Sasha but only worse.

krenseby said:
Well actually if Sasha and Fumie stay very strong.. then two of these skaters will have to finish below them... So I could probably guess that Asada is the only one who has proved consistent enough to make it to the podium a couple of times. Kim may still flounder by having occasional or frequent subpar performances, sort of like Sasha but only worse.
IMO, Fumie and Sasha have arrived at their peak and in both cases they are fine, and again, imo, better all round skaters than the three teenagers at present. However, the teenagers have not yet reached their peak!!! The teenagers have 3 years in a short life sport to get that peak of perfection. They will get that something that brings them definite style and ease of flow during that time.

Fumie and Sasha, I doubt have the ability in three years to get the requisite technical to win over Mao, Yanu and Kimmie. My only question here, is there some younger yet skater to come onto the scene before Vancouver.

Joe

R

riverflows

I think, between the two of them, definitely Mao Asada, because she's already proven that she can compete with the Senior ladies by winning the 05 GPF, and if anyone has seen her 2006 Japan Open program, her body's growth gives her extra strength to land that triple-axel rather than plain deadweight.

Fact is, we've never seen Yu-Na Kim compete with the Seniors as Mao Asada has. Some people's success in the Juniors does not translate elsewhere. Miki Ando, Jenny Kirk, Andrei Griazev-- all Junior World champions, but did not have a 'breakout' year. Mao Asada has already had a 'breakout' year and she hasn't even gotten out of the Juniors.

I guess only time will tell. Personally, I'm just happy that we have such talented skaters coming in and keeping me interested.