Joubert & Arakawa training in Grenoble, France | Golden Skate

Joubert & Arakawa training in Grenoble, France

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Thanks for the link... I swear, Brian Joubert is the only man in skating that makes me swoon... I also like his approach of hunter. I think the men are doing themselves a disservice by conceeding to Plushy so quickly. At least PRETEND that you're there to win... :sheesh:

FreeKatie

On the Ice
I think Joubert is the type who is going to go for it. Plushenko is great, but he's human.

I feel Joubert is just tooting his horn about his competitors. I don't know why he singled out Lambiel with a phony knee problem. Lambiel has been suffering for years with that knee problem and Joubert knows it. A fall on knees is serious. I have both knees replaced with prosthetics. I am told if I fall badly on the knees I must go to emergency immediately.

Well, Lambiel has beaten him a couple of times now so it's understandable that he is a bit rift up about him.

Did anyone see anything about Arakawa in that article?

Joe

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Kwanford Wife said:
Thanks for the link... I swear, Brian Joubert is the only man in skating that makes me swoon... I also like his approach of hunter. I think the men are doing themselves a disservice by conceeding to Plushy so quickly. At least PRETEND that you're there to win... :sheesh:
The rest of the men want to skate their best performance at the Olympics. The only thing they are conceding to Plushenko is the numbers, which historically favor Plushenko by quite a margin.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
Did anyone see anything about Arakawa in that article?

Joe

Only that she too is in Grenoble, training. Two-thirds of the way downthe article, this one-liner:

At Grenoble, Joubert is training with 2004 world champion Shizuka Arakawa of Japan, away from the pressure of the Palavela in Turin.

Zanzibar

Final Flight
I spoke with Nikolai Morozov the other night and he's got his whole troupe training in Grenoble: Brian Joubert, Daisuke Takahashi, Grushgon & Goncharov, Gregory & Petukhov, and Arakawa.

Brian knows that the last couple of Olympic champion men have been the golden age of 21, hence his remarks about having the age advantage - it's not really that he expects to medal four years from now - he knows that 25 tends to be overripe for the men when it comes to OG medals.

I think it's encouraging to read his 'hunted and hunter' remarks. Brian is nothing else if not a fighter. What is he supposed to do? Roll over now and concede to Plushy? Is Plushenko going to win? Probably. And the skaters have mentally prepared themselves - including Brian - to fight for silver if need be. But still....anything can happen...these are the big games - Plush could have an off-night, and who knows - stranger things have happened.

Go Brian! And I know people disagree with me saying this ad nauseum, LOL, but there is simply not another top guy out there who could do as good a job as an ambassador for the sport as Brian. Some other will either be considered to be too 'out there' or 'technically brilliant, but socially remote' or pick your criticism. Nobody could carry that torch like Brian could in an era when the popularity of men's skating is dismally low.

soogar

Record Breaker
Well I think Brian has the right idea. While Weir sounds like he wants to Yevgeny's autograph, Brian actually says that he wants to beat his a$$ which is the best mentality to have. I think both Lambiel and Brian have a great shot at beating Plushenko (as does Ilia Klimkin).

FreeKatie

On the Ice
Johnny did say he hopes for Weir, Plushenko, Lambiel (assuming in that order) but that is only a wish and not a prediction. He said Plushy will win unless he makes mistakes. I agree w/ that - I actually think Plushy needs to make multiple mistakes or otherwise he will still win (think Victor Petrenko 1992, not perfect but he still won on his reputation).

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
soogar said:
Well I think Brian has the right idea. While Weir sounds like he wants to Yevgeny's autograph, Brian actually says that he wants to beat his a$$ which is the best mentality to have. I think both Lambiel and Brian have a great shot at beating Plushenko (as does Ilia Klimkin).

Absolutly... ITA!! :rofl: