What if Sasha Cohen Bombs at Torino? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What if Sasha Cohen Bombs at Torino?

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
SusanBeth said:
If she does bomb, which can happen to anyone, she'll survive. She won't get kicked out of the country. The people who like to tear her apart online will continue to do so with zest. The people who defend her, will defend her a little more passionately. How she copes with her personal pain, who can say? People find a way to endure.

Then again, if she wins gold, the people who like to criticize, will continue to do so with a quieter snarkiness. The people who defend her will do so joyously. How Sasha would cope with having the OGM and still being in Kwan's shadow to some degree, who can say? (Having Kwan around has taken some of the zip out of being the gold medalist in times past.) Sasha will find a way to endure.
Rather than either bombing or winning the OGM, what do you think the public reaction will be if Sasha wins the silver? Because I think this is the most likely outcome.

FreeKatie

On the Ice
I don't think she will bomb, but if she does I certainly don't think she will retire, she's still young

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Ogre Mage said:
Rather than either bombing or winning the OGM, what do you think the public reaction will be if Sasha wins the silver? Because I think this is the most likely outcome.

Again, it depends. If Sasha wins silver, but the US media thinks she should have won gold, she will do fine. If Sasha wins silver because someone legitimately outskated her, then she will have to endure the "always a bridesmaid" remarks -- unless there is a much bigger story (i.e., Kwan wins third medal -- any color, tying Henie, or the Russian "comeback kid" wins gold) and then the media will simply ignore her. Of course, if Sasha is outskated, but is unusually gracious in defeat -- and this becomes a bigger story because some other athlete(s) are unusually rotten in defeat -- then again she will do fine.

FreeKatie

On the Ice
Ogre Mage said:

I think a silver would be great for Sasha and people would be happy with it. If she skates clean and finishes second to Irina, there will probably be objections because Sasha is so polished and refined looking on the ice (with regard to her positions, extension, choreography... the whole package so to speak) while Irina is still a bit rough around the edges when it comes to grace.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't see her truly bombing, but she might make enough mistakes to finish off the podium. As others have said, who knows what deals have been made. It's so easy to prop skaters up or sink them using the PCS scores. Anything is possible. Slutskaya and Sokolova on the podium wouldn't be that much of a surprise, considering how well Elena skated at Euros.

mzheng

Record Breaker
All Sasha needs is to concentrate on her own skating only, she'll do fine. She is all geared for this shot....but I won't rule out Japanese ladies just yet, they may not be the favorate from Judge panel, but when the politics can't be settled between US and Russia, they might be the one to benefit.

I don't like politics at all, don't like it in social life, don't like it in office, don't like it FS, etc. But such is a life, it exsists every where, now with the new system in play, even the rules are affected by politics. (read in pair thread).

Last edited by a moderator:

Vash01

Medalist
FreeKatie said:
I think a silver would be great for Sasha and people would be happy with it. If she skates clean and finishes second to Irina, there will probably be objections because Sasha is so polished and refined looking on the ice (with regard to her positions, extension, choreography... the whole package so to speak) while Irina is still a bit rough around the edges when it comes to grace.

Irina is not trying to be graceful. She does not have that kind of body. She is an athlete and she makes full use of her athletic skills. That does not make her 'rough around the edges'. In fact her edges are more secure than Sasha's.

Vash

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
attyfan said:
(i.e., Kwan wins third medal -- any color, tying Henie, or the Russian "comeback kid" wins gold)

In that case Kwan is tying Henie only in medal count, but who counts medals in that way? That happens only for skaters that have not won 3 gold medals like Henie did. Kwan´s achievements - even if she now happens to win a gold medal -, are not equal to those of Henie.

About Sasha I would say that I don´t think she bombs. She may make a mistake or two, but that is not bombing, in my opinion.

Last edited:
S

SkateFan4Life

Now that Michelle has (very unfortuantely) withdrawn from the Olympics, Sasha will have one less distraction.

I think her mental state will be the ultimate factor in determining whether she wins gold, silver, bronze, or does not reach the podium. She definitely has the ability to win the competition, but it will be a matter of her assembling her physical ability and mental toughness to create a winning program.

Skate Sandee

On the Ice
I haven't read the thread and an no way consider myself a Sasha fan. But really, when has Sasha EVER bombed? Never. With the exception of one fluff competition (I forget which one) where she fell 3 times, nothing in her competitive repertoire could reasonably be considered a bomb. She has the potential to win the whole thing, and the very realistic abilty to at least get on the podium. I'm not at all worried about her.

cianni

On the Ice
It was easier

Henie isnt relevent what she did cant compare to the skaters today. The sport was nothing then in terms of difficulty. Thats like comparing a horse and buggy race againt a car.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Skate Sandee said:
I haven't read the thread and an no way consider myself a Sasha fan. But really, when has Sasha EVER bombed? Never. With the exception of one fluff competition (I forget which one) where she fell 3 times, nothing in her competitive repertoire could reasonably be considered a bomb. She has the potential to win the whole thing, and the very realistic abilty to at least get on the podium. I'm not at all worried about her.

Actually I think she did that twice in two consecutive "fluff events" as you call them. But outside of that I haven't seen her *truly* fall apart in competition. Look, other skaters fall twice, three times, totally mess up and people say, oh it's too bad, she'll get another chance next year. But when Cohen makes even the smallest mistake the roof caves in. I can see why it eventually got to her. I don't know if I could take it myself.

S

SkateFan4Life

Ogre Mage said:

If Sasha wins silver, she will again have the "bridesmaid" label attached to her. If she skates her best, and/or skates near-perfect programs, the carping will be at a minimum, I hope. However, if she takes to the ice and falls two or three times in her long program and finishes second, third, or lower, the critics will be vocal. If she "blows" the long program and finishes off the podium, there will be a lot of criticism. However, I think that's not going to happen. I expect to see Sasha on the podium, with silver or bronze, but probably not the gold medal. We'll see what happens!

Vash01 said:
Irina is not trying to be graceful. She does not have that kind of body. She is an athlete and she makes full use of her athletic skills. That does not make her 'rough around the edges'. In fact her edges are more secure than Sasha's.
I know this thread is about Sasha, but thank you, Vash, for saying so cogently exactly what is great about Irina and why so many people miss the "point" of her great skating--when she is skating great. ITA!

As for Sasha, I have no clue as to how she'll skate, but whatever the outcome--good, bad, or fantastic--she'll have to deal with it. Thus Sasha will either move on to becoming a fashion designer, hang in there and see if she can deal with Mao Asada and the new wave of already-MaoAsada-wannabes, or star with Stars on Ice. They haven't had a beautiful marquee leading ladies skater who could really skate since Kristi. Plus, what Sasha lacks for winning the Big Ones in eligible skating doesn't matter a hoot to SOI or 98% of its audience. But what Sasha has in spades, and you all know what I mean, the SOI crowd would pay to see again and again--especially if SOI works with her on reaching out to the audience.

Or she could stay home and bake. In her journal, so I hear, that's what she says she loves to do. :)

Rgirl

Last edited:
S

SkateFan4Life

Rgirl said:
I know this thread is about Sasha, but thank you, Vash, for saying so cogently exactly what is great about Irina and why so many people miss the "point" of her great skating--when she is skating great. ITA!

As for Sasha, I have no clue as to how she'll skate, but whatever the outcome--good, bad, or fantastic--she'll have to deal with it. Thus Sasha will either move on to becoming a fashion designer, hang in there and see if she can deal with Mao Asada and the new wave of already-MaoAsada-wannabes, or star with Stars on Ice. They haven't had a beautiful marquee lead ladies skater who could really skate since Kristi. Plus, what Sasha lacks for winning the Big Ones in eligible skating doesn't matter a hoot to SOI or 98% of its audience. But what Sasha has in spades, and you all know what I mean, the SOI crowd would pay to see again and again--especially if SOI works with her on reaching out to the audience.

Or she could stay home and bake. In her journal, so I hear, that's what she says she loves to do. :)

Rgirl

Somehow, I can't imagine Sasha staying home and baking cookies for the rest of her life. :rofl: :rofl:

R.D.

Record Breaker
well, she doesn't strike me as one that reaches out to the audience. I don't think that's her style. Of course she touches many people (which then become fans), but not the vast majority.

S

SkateFan4Life

Red Dog said:
well, she doesn't strike me as one that reaches out to the audience. I don't think that's her style. Of course she touches many people (which then become fans), but not the vast majority.

I agree with you. To me, Sasha skates for herself, and only for herself. She retains her emotional connection with herself, not with the audience. At this year's Nationals, Sasha broke into a radiant smile during her footwork sequence, and it brought a huge reaction from the audience. Peggy Fleming and Dick Button both remarked that it was wonderful to see Sasha "let loose" and show her emotions.