Dealing with Chatty Girls | Golden Skate

Dealing with Chatty Girls

icy fresh

On the Ice
At my rink, I'm friendly with basically everyone. We all have a really close relationship and it's like a family. I should probably also mention that 90% of the skaters at my rink are recreational. I'm one of the only ones that competes. Needless to say, I'm much more serious about skating and training than practically everyone. So my problem is that my friends are always trying to talk to me while I'm skating. To them, skating is just recreation. To me, it's literally a way of life and something that I'm extremely dedicated to. I love my friends, but when I'm on the ice, I just want to work- not talk. All the girls love to stop, talk, and chat. I don't like to, but when I'm blowing my nose, drinking my water, and or putting on my music, the talking begins and I don't want to be rude and say, "Shut up, I'm trying to work." But that's how I feel. I would never want to hurt their feelings, but I don't think they understand how important training time is to me. These girls are my best friends and since I'm homeschooled, they're the closest friends that I have and I care about them dearly and would be sad without their friendship and support.

Mrs Redboots

On the Ice
Once upon a long time ago, I was chatting to a skater who wanted to get on, and she very sweetly said to me: "I usually ask people not to chat to me while I'm actually busy on the ice - could we chat in a little while when I have my break?"

Which, indeed, we did, and she was quite happy to just skate round and chat, but not while she was working. As indeed, I've got to that stage now!

Petlover

On the Ice
Mrs. Redboots, your advice is right on!

What I do is basically the same, I tell my friends I would love to talk to them later, but I have to keep working or my coach will lecture me!

Skate@Delaware

On the Ice
Ah, yes, the chatty people!!! I went through this also and learned to say "I'm sorry, I can't really chat right now. I've got to work on my (insert skating stuff-program, jumps, moves) right now. I'll catch you later."

I always get people (mostly little girls) coming up to me asking if I would teach them to jump, spin, etc. I tell them "You know, you look like you are ready to take skating lessons. Have your parents grab the info in the lobby. When you've learned the basics, I can teach you to (spin, jump, etc)" If they persist, I use my "can't chat right now" spiel.

It took a while to build up nerve to do this, as I don't like to hurt people's feelings.

peachy

Rinkside
yeah it gets frustrating sometimes... i never know what to say without sounding rude... im going to have to remember these suggestions

FauveNik

Rinkside
Very good advice given! Just thanks God you dont have to deal with the " rink mams" What a dreaded bunch they can be!!!!:O
Fauve