Salt lake city results | Golden Skate

Salt lake city results

cmego500

Rinkside
So this just popped into my head today.

Do you believe that if the COP system had been in place during the 2002 olympics that the ladies result would have been the same?? I ask because Kwan skated the short perfectly, unlike the other ladies and wasn't too terrible in the long. Thus, would she have had enough of a lead to still be ahead of everyone with her lp?

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
IIRC, Michelle made a tiny mistake on her triple flip, whereas Irina did not, and a lot of people think that Irina should have been first after the SP, so I don't know if Michelle would have had a lead after the SP at all.

I think maybe the pairs result might have been different. IIRC,B & S had a SP that was much better than S & P's SP; they might have been able to retain the lead after the FS. Also, more weight might have been given to the Russians having more complicated lifts and choreography, as opposed to the Canadians simpler program.

rob43

On the Ice
Michelle probably would have won Nagano because her Sp (especially jumping elements) was really that much better than Lipinski.

'02 would hve been interseting. Sarah would have had problems with both the flutz and 2 footed flip in the SPand I'm not sure what they would have done with her jumps in the long. I actually think it would have hurt Irina more than anyone because I think she got placed where she did to insure the gold to Hughes. It might have gone Hughes, Cohen, Kwan with COP because I remember thinking aside form the fall that was as well as I'd ever seen Cohen skate. (Kwan and Slutskaya would have also counted 1 less triple thanks to the 7 pass rule.) Or it could have been Sasha, Irina, Michelle depending on what the Sp scores would have been and how nitpicky the were on jump technique. Who knows- I think it would have been a whole nother ballgame psychologically had COP been in place, so there's no telling what would have occurred.

I also agree with whoever said the Russians would have gone ahead without question.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kwan would have won in Nagano. In SLC, I believe Sarah would not have been on the podium at all. She would have been way back in the SP and she would have been dinged in the FS for underrotation. Kwan would still have had the edge in the SP (Irina had 3 small mistakes: pausing after the footwork into the triple jump, traveling on the spin, finishing after the music). Finishing after the music would have given Irina a -1 deduction under CoP. I think Kwan might have edged Irina in the FS, too, because Irina was slow and almost sleepwalked through the program, and had a misstep on the flip. It would have been close, though.

rain

Record Breaker
I always find such questions flawed right from the get-go simply because nobody would have been skating the same programs they did if they were skating under COP, plain and simple. It's the same with people saying so-and-so would have won if there hadn't been figures....well, in those competitions there WERE figures and you can't erase that. Because there were figures it influenced how athletes trained and what they emphasized.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
rain said:
I always find such questions flawed right from the get-go simply because nobody would have been skating the same programs they did if they were skating under COP, plain and simple. It's the same with people saying so-and-so would have won if there hadn't been figures....well, in those competitions there WERE figures and you can't erase that. Because there were figures it influenced how athletes trained and what they emphasized.
ITA

FreeKatie

On the Ice
This is kind of off - topic, but I think if it wasn't for the Pairs scandal, either Michelle or Irina would definitely have taken home the gold in SLC.

Callystarr

Rinkside
FreeKatie said:
This is kind of off - topic, but I think if it wasn't for the Pairs scandal, either Michelle or Irina would definitely have taken home the gold in SLC.

I can almost agree, it was as though they wanted to make sure since Sarah Hughes had delivered such a great LP technically, she was going to win.

Even though I must say Sarah Hughes did deserve that LP win, however the battle between Kwan/Irina will always be debateable.

Michelle lost the gold in a 6-3 split...2 olympics in a row :(

FreeKatie

On the Ice
I was glad Sarah won, I thought she had the best LP, but I def. think it would not have happened if the judges weren't under such a microscope.