Names of the Past Ladies OGM | Golden Skate

Names of the Past Ladies OGM

bluecatskater

Rinkside
I was just pondering over the names of the past Ladies Olympic Gold Medalists……..Sarah, Tara, Oksana. Notice how they all end in an “A” sound? Looking back over all the years a lot of them have the “A” sound at the end of their name. Katarina, Barbara, Sonja, Herma, Magda. Maybe even Sjoukje Dikstra. Not sure how you pronounce her first name (help?). Of coarse then there’s Kristi, Dorothy, Peggy, Tenley. These have the same ending sound too.
Others are Annett, Jeanette, Madge, Carol, and Beatrix. Not much pattern in those.
Do I sound crazy? Or have too much time on my hands? I just thought it interesting and wanted to share with some people who might understand my musings.
So does that mean the next one will be Irina, Sasha, Carolina, Shizuka?
Who knows...........we wait........

SusanBeth

Final Flight
I think that you have to take in to account how many female names end in A's and y's. It's not so strange a coincidence when you look at it that way.

SusanBeth (Mom to Sarah and Felicia)

R.D.

Record Breaker
no one should be sorry for posting anything. It wasn't offensive or intrusive...so there was absolutely nothing wrong with the post.

I happen to think you're right. And also...the favorite and the top contenders all have that A sound, too. Except for one huge exception...Michelle. Maybe that's why the skate gods prevented her from winning? :p just a thought.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
bluecatskater said:
You're probably right. Sorry for even posting.

I am sorry, if I made it seem your post wasn't a good one. It was fine! I am just around girls with names ending in A and Y so much. It's practically the norm to me. Although -lyn ending names are on the rise. We may be due for a -lyn gold medalist in the next Olympics or two.. :)

Last edited:

SusanBeth

Final Flight
Actually, I was looking at the list and was struck by something. With the exception of Carol (Carroll for a guy) and Tenley (which is a very unusual name) all the names are very "girly girl". ( Is Sjoukje a decidely feminine name?) What makes that odd is that unisex names for girls have been going strong for a couple of decades now. I visit a "name" board and there are regular rants about all the "boy" names being taken over by girls. You can't see that in skating. Of course there's Jaime Sale, but I can't think of any others. Maybe it's a skating mom- ice princess thing.