Cohen-Meissner Training partners | Golden Skate

Cohen-Meissner Training partners

Maybe I missed it, but from what I read the article doesn't say Sasha and Kimmie are "training partners." They're both just going to the same rink about 90-minutes outside of Torino rented by the USFSA in order to train in a more relaxed atmosphere, away from the media and the hype. For all we know, the two may or may not ever be sharing ice time.

Even if they do share ice time, what's the big whoop? It's common at the Olympics and other events for compeititors to share training ice. The top skaters know how to focus on themselves. IIRC, Nancy Kerrigan and Tonya Haarding shared some practice ice in '94. They just ignored each other.

Rgirl

S

SkateFan4Life

Rgirl said:
Maybe I missed it, but from what I read the article doesn't say Sasha and Kimmie are "training partners." They're both just going to the same rink about 90-minutes outside of Torino rented by the USFSA in order to train in a more relaxed atmosphere, away from the media and the hype. For all we know, the two may or may not ever be sharing ice time.

Even if they do share ice time, what's the big whoop? It's common at the Olympics and other events for compeititors to share training ice. The top skaters know how to focus on themselves. IIRC, Nancy Kerrigan and Tonya Haarding shared some practice ice in '94. They just ignored each other.
Rgirl

I agree. It's not a "big whoop" if Cohen and Meissner happen to share the same practice ice and time. These competitors are totally focused on themselves, their own practices, and what they need to do to prepare for the competition. They probably take little, if any, notice of each other, other than to be aware that they happen to be on the ice at the same time.

I do remember, however, that Jill Trenary was terribly distracted at the 1989 Worlds, in which she shared the same practice ice/time as Midori Ito, the latter of whom was landing triple axels. Jill allowed herself to get psyched out by Midori, and it showed in her competitive long program.

Sasha and Kimmie will just concentrate on their own skating, plain and simple.

R.D.

Record Breaker
well, we don't know that for SURE, but hopefully that will be the case.

LBC

On the Ice
It isn't like Kimmie and Sasha train by themselves at home. They have "training partners" all the time. They would be on the same ice if they stayed in Turin as the the US skaters practice at the same time. I don't think Sasha looks at Kimmie as any kind of threat. If anything Kimmie may learn something training with Sasha in regards to presentation.

orchid

On the Ice
Seems many posters are overly sensitive today.
It's just an article, no "big whoop" implied.

FreeKatie

On the Ice
they did show Kimmie and Sasha skating on the same practice ice yesterday. If anything, I'd say It makes Kimmie feel more relaxed to have someone she's familiar with from US competitions and also good for Kimmie to have a medal contender to practice with, it should help Kimmie.