NBC Coverage | Golden Skate

NBC Coverage

Jhar55

Medalist
I just sent NBC an email telling them what I thought about their coverage of the Olympics STINKS. And that NBC stands for Needs Better Coverage. And the poor job they are doing not only with skating but the other events. They have 4 networks for coverage and what were getting. Did they chop up the hockey games? Like the other events? NO.
Well at least I got my quaters worth, being 2cents doesn't gove very far now days :laugh: neither does a quarter but I am not giving them a dollar :laugh:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Too many ads, as usual. I wanted to see the Canadian pairs (particularly Dube & Davison who were very impressive at Skate America) and Obertas/Slavnov. :cry:

Johar

Medalist
They are only going to show the top skaters and any American. I guess that means we won't get to see Mrs. John Zimmerman :cry:

isk82

On the Ice
Anyone notice how when T & M skated, it was right after a commercial from speed skating, they were on the ice and skating without any fanfare, discussion, anything - there they were and going and that was it. It would have been easy to miss them and they favorites going into this. It was like, oh yeah, I guess we have to show the Russians, whatever. I think we all got spoiled by what a great job ABC did with Nationals this year, but this still stinks!

Last edited:

Gipson

Rinkside
They said several times throughout the broadcast that T&M were the favorites and Sandra praised their performance. Isn't that sufficient? I actually can't stand Tom Hammond. He barely says anything but his one sentence is always grating! I don't like NBC coverage either. Can't they trust figure skating fans to watch the rest of the Olympic events?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I did like the Jamie and David analysis on the Jim Lampley wrapup show. it was worth staying up for.

Johar

Medalist
I am going to move closer to Canada so i can receive full coverage. I feel like NBC sometimes holds us hostage.

It would be nice if they could keep to one competition, but then 20 pairs of speed skaters or 10 x 4 minutes. Of course I could go out to the local pub, chew the fat and come back later.

It's not that I do not appreciate speed skating. It is better than NASCAR and both get better in the last 3 laps.

Oh well, looking forward to Downhill.

Joe

CDMM1991

Medalist
The Canadian coverage was great for the pairs actually. They showed several pairs in about an hour of semi-live coverage, and then recaped the highlights on the primetime coverage. Hopefully we will be so lucky for the other events as well.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
:sheesh: at least they're showing it..... let's face it SKATING did not with their little poll on what people wanted to see... it came 4th... so why are we surprised they're listening to the bigger groups and not us?

we have Olympic ice which is a whole hour of the skating stuff, PLUS whatever press conference they feel they need to show 20 thousand times a day... Yeah it would be nice to see a bunch of the skating, but they're going with the names that are recognizable or that the commentators all like... they're not going to show each and every skater...

hockey is harder to cut from.... AND it has a bigger fan base... it's all about the $$... ratings and what the sponsers want their commercials shown between.

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Johar-They actually showed Sylvia's LP from SLC so don't lose hope that they'll show her in the Torino coverage! :)

I guess I'm in the minority but I've not minded NBC's coverage so far. Sandra is a little annoying but I LOVE Dick Button being there! They showed one or two more pairs SPs than they did in SLC too, in case anyone was wondering about that. You know, I'm just excited that the Olys are finally here and they are giving a little bit of everything to the fans. That Olympic Ice show is GOLDEN and I can't wait to see more of that one! :)

FreeKatie

On the Ice
ITA, I was so excited when I realized Dick Button was commentating - somehow I didn't read or hear about this and I didn't even fully realize it until the third pair - I was like "wait a minute.. why is Dick Button there..." So, I'm not going to complain because I've very happy w/ the commentators. NBC always switches around from one event to the next and I doubt its going to change. They want to keep the skating fans watching for the entire 4 hours in the evening, so if they say "Skating is from 10-12" they know skating fans are probably going to tune out between 8 and 10, and then they lose ratings.

I thought the coverage was good, they showed all the chinese skaters, the russians and also the Americans.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'd like to know why NBC did not show the marks for Aaron & Marcy, Dube & Davison, etc... I wanted to see their reactions in the K&C. I suspect it has something to do with not being in the top flight of pairs, and therefore not likely to medal. I also am disappointed that NBC does not provide the titles of the music used for each performance. They could do this at the bottom of the screen, couldn't they?

saltypig

Rinkside
I thought CBC covered the PSP better than NBC but NBC covered the PLP better than CBC. Maybe I missed it but I did not see CBC show any of the American pairs skaters' programs during prime time?

merrywidow

Record Breaker
By the way, Olympic Ice did show Dube & Davison's Free Program. They are a very promising & attractive young pair team. IIRC, NBC has always broken up the events. The idea being that if you want to see all the figure skating or ski jumping, etc. you will have to stay glued to your TV set for the 4 hour telecast. I'm not interested in snowboarding so I hit my mute button & read while it is on. Luckily, I enjoy most of the events at the Winter Olympics.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
All I have to say about NBC's prime-time skating coverage is:

Thank Goodness that they have "Uncle" Dick Button to counterbalance that arrogant anti-Russian hussy Sandra Bezik. Bezik is there to clearly downplay the Russians & prop-up whoever may have a chance of knocking any Russians out of first place. In other words, she's there to do the 'dirty work' for NBC marketers.

Dick, on the other hand, calls it like it is....such as the obvious raggedness of the Zhangs or Pang/Tong. This was especially obvious during the SP show. Every time that Dick tried to point out the raggedness of the Chinese, Little Miss Arrogance would yell over Dick "Oh but this...oh but that....oh, but the audience loves them."

Dick -- put a muzzle on that woman !