What will happen next? | Golden Skate

What will happen next?

Oops. This thread was doubly posted and I accidently erased both copies trying to fix it. Here are all of the posts on the two threads with this title. Sorry about that.

Mathman
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original post by Anything_for_Skating

Since Michelle finished 3rd at Worlds 2004, I knew there's something wrong. It is final: Michelle windraws.

I am not her fan, actually, I don't like her skating much , but it's a shame and I am really sorry for her.

What will happen next? I don't think they will let Emily to compete, after Michelle skated on the practice.

But, my big question is, what if they let her to compete? The worse thing that can happen is, that Emily appears from nowhere,as Sarah did, and to win! It wold be the biggest scandal ever, espetially after SLC 2002...Go Irina!!!

Today, 07:10 AM #3
JOHIO2
Sal-Kowabunga!

IOC has already accepted Michelle's replacement by Emily. They announced it at that news conference at 5:30 am ET. Guess it hasn't made the general news and the boards yet.

--------------------
Better a bleeding heart than none at all.
bumper sticker at the polls
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today, 11:51 AM #4
Red Dog
"Devil's Advocate"

that's not going to happen. I'm sorry...Emily winning the OGM? Never. She won't even win a medal...she's not at that level yet.

I see her maybe between 12th-18th place, depending on how others do. If she can crack the top 10, that would be a massive accomplishment.

Red Dog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today, 12:08 PM #5
sloopie
Rinkside

A friend asked me this, and I don't know, so I thought I'd ask here, where everyone seems to know everything about skating.

Why wasn't Emily sent as an alternate in the first place? Is that something that just isn't done any more? I know Michelle herself went as an alternate during the, um, you know. It would seem it would've been really wise to send Emily. I'm wondering if there was some motive there - like, they didn't want to send a message to Michelle that she might have to withdraw, or they didn't want to give her the extra few days to make a decision. Or maybe it's just policy now.

anybody know?

sloopie
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today, 12:37 PM #6
LBC
Custom Title

Michelle was deemed healthy a few weeks ago. They didn't think they needed to send Emily. Plus there is a pre-existing condition rule. If a nation knows that a skater is injured and sends them anyways they can't get a replacement. as that is the risk they took. Sending Emily would say they thought Michelle was still injured.

Michelle went to Albertville because of the legal battle with Tonya. It was a different circumstance and not an injury.

LBC
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today, 01:44 PM #7
RubyNV
Rinkside

According to what I heard on tv, Emily Hughes now has official permission to replace Michelle. She has been very excited, waiting to hear if she would get this good news.

What will happen next is that Irina will win gold. I predict that Sasha will win silver. The ladies' field has had a lot of changes, such as some of the Japanese women I really like dropping out. I really thought that Yoshie Onda was going to be a big force in ladies' skating for some time to come, for example.
The only skaters at the Olympics whom I believe can win gold and silver, barring complete disaster or injuries, are Irina and Sasha. Irina is in a class by herself, though. I am thrilled for her. She has been skating for quite a long time. The Code of Points will reward her for the height of her big jumps and her very difficult spins. The new system seems to work much better for single skaters than for pairs, for some reason.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to Goldn Skate, RubyNV. Thanks for joining us.

I also think Carolina has a good chance for the podium, also Fumie.

Mathman :)