Michelle speaks to Bob Costas/Scott Hamilton | Golden Skate

Michelle speaks to Bob Costas/Scott Hamilton

Brian Williams (Canadian sportscaster) just had an extended interview with Lori Nichol :love: on CBC. Williams said that when he saw Michelle skate at Dortmund in 2004, "she looked like an old lady out there," just gliding along, while all the young girls were doing triple Axels and other hard tricks, as required by the CoP. (I won't mention how incredibly old and decrepid Brian Williams looks, but never mind. :) )

Nichol responded that Michelle had trained herself to be the quintessential 6.0 skater, and that she had been lucky throughout her career that she had not been injured much. Nichol thought that trying to do the new spins and contortions did play a role in Michelle's spate of injuries this season.

MM

Vash01

Medalist
Mathman said:
Brian Williams (Canadian sportscaster) just had an extended interview with Lori Nichol :love: on CBC. Williams said that when he saw Michelle skate at Dortmund in 2004, "she looked like an old lady out there," just gliding along, while all the young girls were doing triple Axels and other hard tricks, as required by the CoP. (I won't mention how incredibly old and decrepid Brian Williams looks, but never mind. :) )

Nichol responded that Michelle had trained herself to be the quintessential 6.0 skater, and that she had been lucky throughout her career that she had not been injured much. Nichol thought that trying to do the new spins and contortions did play a role in Michelle's spate of injuries this season.

MM

What was Williams watching? All the young girls doing triple axels in Dortmund in 2004? I would have liked to see those!

The COP requires triple axels for the ladies? I guess they have tougher standards for the ladies than men!:laugh:

Vash

Pixie Cut

On the Ice
Mathman said:
Brian Williams (Canadian sportscaster) just had an extended interview with Lori Nichol :love: on CBC. Williams said that when he saw Michelle skate at Dortmund in 2004, "she looked like an old lady out there," just gliding along, while all the young girls were doing triple Axels and other hard tricks, as required by the CoP. (I won't mention how incredibly old and decrepid Brian Williams looks, but never mind. :) ) MM

Funny, CoP wasn't used at 2004 Worlds. Although it had been used during that season's Grand Prix circuit, Worlds was on the 6.0 system. That accounted for the boat load of 6s given during the competition. Michelle Kwan got the last of them. Guess CBC isn't so perfect after all.