Another sensitive article in the Washington Post | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Another sensitive article in the Washington Post

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Now, don't jump all over me but I thought he raised some very valid points.
All someone had to do was hear Tim Goebel after his failure to make the Olympic team at US Nationals almost break down and question what he would do with his life, and how many years he had now wasted.

People don't always think about the short shelf life these skaters have. If Slutskaya wins -she'll be ELEVEN years older than the previous two ladies Olympic gold medalists - she is considered OLD. Michelle is just right behind her. The beauty of things for Michelle is that she is an icon, a millionaire, and beloved by the public - so really - she's going to be fine, just fine.

But what I see with these skaters - especially some of the ones I've gotten to know well - is that they have a skewed existence. They don't grow up going to school, making friends, going to the prom, living a normal life. They are solo creatures - NOT part of a true team. They spend a life trying to cajole and influence adults (coaches, judges, sponsors) to love them. They destroy parts of their bodies for a shot at medals, money and fame - and then like shooting stars they burn out quickly.

It's a very solo sport where attention is lavished upon you at center ice....and then you get older...and injured...and lose popularity....and the spotlight slips away, and I'm sorry - but there is a certain desparation that goes along with that. I'm not saying Michelle is there - she is in fact light years away from that - but plenty of skaters really suffer when their presence on the ice is no longer requested.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
The previous day (Sunday, Feb 12), the Post published an equally sarcastic Kwan article...will dig-up the link. That one was by a female reporter, mocking Kwan's 'listening to my body' line. The reporter, who is in Torino, goes on about: "Now I will listen to my body...but my body only wants Italian food and cappuccino."

Sadly, Kwan is fair 'game' in the press.

skatergirlaj

On the Ice
Zanzibar said:
But what I see with these skaters - especially some of the ones I've gotten to know well - is that they have a skewed existence. They don't grow up going to school, making friends, going to the prom, living a normal life. They are solo creatures - NOT part of a true team. They spend a life trying to cajole and influence adults (coaches, judges, sponsors) to love them. They destroy parts of their bodies for a shot at medals, money and fame - and then like shooting stars they burn out quickly.

It's a very solo sport where attention is lavished upon you at center ice....and then you get older...and injured...and lose popularity....and the spotlight slips away, and I'm sorry - but there is a certain desparation that goes along with that. I'm not saying Michelle is there - she is in fact light years away from that - but plenty of skaters really suffer when their presence on the ice is no longer requested.

I think that isn't the case for all or most skaters,because they realize..or the smart ones do,that there is a life after and outside of figure skating and like other athletes,basketball players,baseball players etc...they know that they have to have a backup plan for when their bodies do indeed give out and they can't do what they do anymore. I think that now days a skater who finds themselves in this position where...they have no purpose in life after skating...it's their own fault.Especially since with the notoriety that they have at their disposal,they have doors open to them to see and learn things that the normal person does NOT have(not to mention the means to make the money to go to almost any school they choose to).And if they have any sense at all,they would take advantage of those opportunities.Because..yeah age and popularity may matter in this sport,but..it isn't everything and only a completly self absorbed person would bank their entire existance on that.And that includes those who are only that persons friend because they are famous as well.A well balanced person can live with or without the fame. i guess i think that a person who falls apart once their moment of fame is up didn't really have a realistic view of life to begin with and could've avoided their desperation by having both feet firmly planted on the ground,instead of floating in the clouds all the time.

shdotz

On the Ice
Ugh!

Misplaced Gymnast said:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/12/AR2006021201301.html

:frown:

Now, I never claimed to be a Kwan-fanatic, but there is such a thing as kicking someone when they're down. :disagree:

Thanks for the link to a yukky article.

This guy must be talking about himself.

For the others, like Misner, I couldn't say. Trash.

I say Hooray for Michelle who has delighted her audiences for too many years. She's given her life away to her sport. She loves her sport. Now, she's given herself a life sentence of no more pain. Had she try to continue, she'd probably have to skate down the ice like the others who have suffered groin and hip injuries and who have kept skating, regardless.

Let's give Kwan the applause she deserves.

Thumbs down to those who "think" they know what they're talking about.

shdotz