Sasha Cohen's Reaction to Michelle Kwan's Withdrawal | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Sasha Cohen's Reaction to Michelle Kwan's Withdrawal

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Fake graciousness is what makes the world go round. If everyone showed more fake graciousness, this vale of tears would be a better place to live in.

I will start by resolving to show more fake graciousness to all of my friends and fellow posters on Golden Skate.

MM

PS. How am I doing so far?

Better than me... i had to delete several replies to several posters because while people are stupid and spiteful, it won't make me feel any better about Michelle withdrawing by ripping fellow posters & their favs apart... whatever. such is life...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
:sheesh: yet another thread that is old and so rehashed one has to wonder WHY we bring it up each and every time :sheesh:

I thought she did very well this morning. What's she supposed to say? Why does she have to kiss Kwan's @$$ every time she turns around, that's what Katie Couric and Scott Hamilton are for :sheesh:

Tenorguy

On the Ice
Mathman - you are so funny and yet sadly on target. You're doing great! Would that graciousness, whether real or affected, permeated this woeful planet. Not to get philosophical, but why is it we as a species never seem to be able to enjoy a thing purely for what it is without having to mangle it through agenda?

I agree with you Kwanford Wife, people are acting like spiteful teenagers. None of us can be in the heads of any of the skaters involved; having all of this reporting leads people to a false sense of intimacy with the subject. No one knows if Sasha hates comparisons with Michelle, none of us knows truly if Emily feels anything about Michelle.

Tonichelle - I'm so surprised you mention anyone kissing Michelle's a$$. That is so very ugly - to Michelle and to Scott and Katie. Was that comment necessary at all?

Why not let Sasha's, Kimmie's and Emily's skating speak for itself?

millie

Medalist
The people that -hiting on Sasha are the first ones to cry foul or trolls when the their are negative things said about Michelle. Michelle is injured and out of the Olympics (God bless her and I hope she gets well soon. Some people are acting as if she has died). There is nothing her fans can do now only sit back and belittle other skaters.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Tenorguy said:
Tonichelle - I'm so surprised you mention anyone kissing Michelle's a$$. That is so very ugly - to Michelle and to Scott and Katie. Was that comment necessary at all?

what I meant by it is that if Sasha doesn't come out and cry big alligator tears for Michelle then she's a horrible little brat who shouldn't be allowed to breathe... Sasha can't go anywhere without being asked about Michelle and it's just annoying. Perhaps I should have used "butt" or another word. It was not a slight towards Michelle and certainly not towards Katie or Scott. However I don't see what one more person's perspective on the whole thing is nessecery, we know how Sasha feels lets leave it at that.

soogar

Record Breaker
Tonichelle said:
I thought she did very well this morning. What's she supposed to say? Why does she have to kiss Kwan's @$$ every time she turns around, that's what Katie Couric and Scott Hamilton are for :sheesh:

:p Is this the real Tonichelle? :laugh: That's way too blunt for Tonichelle...are you sure you're not Duane?;)

registered

On the Ice
What Sasha answered re: Michelle's withdrawal was absolutely glowing and gracious.

By the way, during numerous MK interviews at the time of Nationals, when it was wildly reported on Sasha's being ill, did Kwan send any "get well soon" wishes to Sasha via international media? Maybe I missed something, but all of Michelle's press conferences appeared to be absolutely Kwan-centric, with Michelle not expressing any concern over Sasha's condition and inability to train.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
I'm kinda glad she didnt' say much. Hopefully this is a sign that Cohen is CONCENTRATING on her skating and will bring two performances that she will always be proud of, medal or no medal.

She has always seemed to be a bit more standoffish in how she presents herself during interviews, and that's OK. Not everyone can give interviews like Emily Hughes or Michelle Kwan, or Katarina Witt for that matter.

I'm just glad she doesn't interview like Oksana Baiul used to when she'd lose...

“I think in a way it (Michelle's withdrawal) kind of humanizes the sport,” Cohen said. “She is someone who has been an icon, always been there, and she always has competed and done well. To see that people can be at the top of a sport and still have hard times just humanizes it for other athletes to know that there are good times and there are bad times. You have to deal with what life gives you.”
-Sasha Cohen

Last edited:
Sasha said:
“I think in a way it (Michelle's withdrawal) kind of humanizes the sport,” Cohen said. “She is someone who has been an icon, always been there, and she always has competed and done well. To see that people can be at the top of a sport and still have hard times just humanizes it for other athletes to know that there are good times and there are bad times. You have to deal with what life gives you.”
This is what we are arguing about??! from the furor I though she must have said, "Michelle's a skanky ho and I'm glad she's injured."

The quote is appropriate, sympathetic and even charming. (Um, Sasha's actual quote, I mean, not what I said.)

MM

soogar

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
This is what we are arguing about??! from the furor I though she must have said, "Michelle's a skanky ho and I'm glad she's injured."

The quote is appropriate, sympathetic and even charming. (Um, Sasha's actual quote, I mean, not what I said.)

MM

But your quote is a direct translation of what Sasha was really saying. :biggrin:

brinababy87

Rinkside
Eh, I'm not too worried about the Sasha-bashing. It's to be expected, since it's only been bad news for Michelle and good news for Sasha (so far). They want to feel better about something... :sheesh:

IDLERACER

Medalist
Ever notice how very few skaters in general seem to have much of a sense of humor off the ice? Scott Hamilton, Kurt Browning and Johnny Weir are notable exceptions. It really becomes apparent when you see them on shows like "Family Feud" and "The Hollywood Squares." The only female skater I've ever seen with any off-ice comedic skills is Jamie Silverstein, and even her's are unintentional.

If I were in Cohen's position, I would've just turned to the camera, made a funny face and screamed, "Oh no, this means I've got yet another Hughes to reckon with!" But obviously, that sort of lightheartedness doesn't really jibe with her somewhat studious demeanor.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mathman said:

MM
Yes, Math, this is what Skatefan4Life, Frau Muller and Kathleen were using to bash Sasha with. Can you believe it!! I just couldn't believe that these 3 adults could be so mean.

Dee

Last edited:

Enero

On the Ice
soogar said:
Well why should Emily be sorry that Michelle dropped out? Michelle wasn't sorry when she took Emily's place. Why does everyone feel that it's so important to show fake graciousness?

I didn't make my thoughts clear, but I was trying to make a point. That no one says a word about Emily not showing sympathy for Kwan, but if Sasha doesn't say exactly what they think she should say about Kwan pulling out people want her burned at the stake. Though I was surprised that Emily didn't offer her sympathy to Kwan, since Kwan is supposedly "close to the Hughes," it was no skin off my back. She was excited as she should be.

FreeKatie

On the Ice
Emily showed sympathy in previous interviews where she said things like "I hope MK is feeling well and skates great... but if they need me...blah blah"

I think Emily, Sasha and Kimmie have all been very gracious regarding their comments about Michelle since Nationals, but at this stage it is not their problem and they have a week to focus on a very important event, so I think its understandable if they don't want to talk about it anymore.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
My thoughts on this. After seeing Katie interview Sasha with her Mom at the gellato shoppe the feeling I got from it was "how awkward". Katie seemed to be trying to give SC opportunities to send a get well message to MK. SC seemed intent on keeping the interview about her. To me this was the similar to the interviews with Kerrigan after the knee bashing when she was asked if she had anything to say to Tonya. I got the feeling with both Nancy and Sasha the thinking was "if you can't say anything good, say nothing", LOL. With Kerirgan I could understand this but I thought Sasha was less than gracious. It seems to me that if this was someone who was my team mate, and who I had toured with for how many seasons with COI, so therefore also a co-worker, I could have managed a "get well soon Michelle we will miss having you here". Maybe in othe parts of the country folks don't think like that but the way I was raised it would have been the polite and kind thing to do.

I thought Emily showed sympathy for Michelle's situation in her remarks. It is hard to be sympathetic for someone while rejoicing for your own situation....especially at 17 Sasha has been on the International skating scene longer than Emily and is also older and seems more sophisticated. I think she and Emily were in different situations here. The one I feel is getting the short end of the stick is Kimmie.

Last edited:

Kathleen

Rinkside
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well said, Piel!!!! :clap:

Oh, and as for you Dee.........you need to get a grip. I never "bashed" anyone......I just gave my opinion, which I stand by. You are entitled to yours, as I am to mine. No need to get crazy.

soogar

Record Breaker
Piel said:
My thoughts on this. After seeing Katie interview Sasha with her Mom at the gellato shoppe the feeling I got from it was "how awkward". Katie seemed to be trying to give SC opportunities to send a get well message to MK. SC seemed intent on keeping the interview about her. To me this was the similar to the interviews with Kerrigan after the knee bashing when she was asked if she had anything to say to Tonya. I got the feeling with both Nancy and Sasha the thinking was "if you can't say anything good, say nothing", LOL. With Kerirgan I could understand this but I thought Sasha was less than gracious. It seems to me that if this was someone who was my team mate, and who I had toured with for how many seasons with COI, so therefore also a co-worker, I could have managed a "get well soon Michelle we will miss having you here". Maybe in othe parts of the country folks don't think like that but the way I was raised it would have been the polite and kind thing to do.

Well Sasha and Michelle aren't friends. Nor have I seen pictures of them together on COI other than the publicity shots. In an interview, Sokolova commetned that Sasha was a nice girl but she didn't socialize with the older skaters. Perhaps Sasha cannot be friends with her competitors like Michelle. Many skaters are like that (like Katarina and Roz).

I think Sasha is a very genuine person. She isn't going to manufacture a response for someone she has no feeling for even if it is the PC thing to do. I have a lot of respect for her that she doesn't do that.

Also it's not as if Michelle has to answer a million questions about Sasha winning Nats since she didn't compete there.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Soogar I see it like this. You and I agree on very few things. BUT if someone started a thread to send you good thoughts because you were ill or had suffered a misfortune, I would genuinely feel bad for you and would send you good vibes for a quick recovery.....even though I do not even know you. So why is it so hard for Sasha to do the same for someone that we know she knows. Like I said they were TEAM MATES and CO-EMPLOYEES.

swannanoa54

On the Ice
Oh good grief! So some people didn't like Sasha's comments and some did. Big deal! I don't much care for Sasha's public persona (and I really don't care for her skating which is all that matters anyway since I don't hang with her or anything:rofl: ), but having met her with my family for longer than a quick second, she is a sweet person in private without cameras (well, except for ours of course) and she was very caring while talking to my daughter.