Sasha Cohen's Reaction to Michelle Kwan's Withdrawal | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Sasha Cohen's Reaction to Michelle Kwan's Withdrawal

Morganlee

Match Penalty
jsteam4501s said:
I've always believed that the most aggressive and angry Kwan fans conduct themselves in a manner far beneath the level that Michelle herself would approve of. It is downright ridiculous that there should be TEN pages and over 130 posts on this absurdly unimportant topic - how Sasha responded to a question about Michelle's withdrawal. All of you who support Sasha's side are absolutely correct, but you should just STOP POSTING on this thread and go have a burger and fries or something and leave the other side to fume and whine UNANSWERED.

Michelle Kwan is far above the petty shenannigans of many of her fans.

Too bad. She is worthy of much more than the anti-Tara, anti-Naomi, anti-Sarah, anti-Sasha mudslingers that are all over the internet.

I support and enjoy MANY lady skaters equally. Why can't there be more fans of
the sport itself that are as perfect as me? :laugh: :rofl: :laugh: :rofl: :biggrin:
Such a great post Jsteam. We have all seen this aggressive and absurd behavior for years both online and at various venues around the country throughtout the years. This has never been a reflection on Michelle. They are very upset now so someone has to take the abuse meaning other skaters, the posters, judges , and anyone else they can abuse.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
Gregor said:
I disagree. When a skater is at this level it is very important to be aware of the image you are presenting. It is good to be focused on your own efforts but it is not good to seem cold and so driven you care about nothing else. Image is important. No matter what Cohen needs to do to succeed she must be aware of public image. I silte Belbin and Agosto as the supreme examples during this most trying year of effort to gain support for their Olympic opportunity. Never was either of them less than most gracious in their public comments.

Why? To whom is it important? I can imagine that it's important to the fans who can't stand to miss a gory detail . However, if it's not important to the skater, if they don't feel like jumping through "media hoops" for our amusement, they are entitled to the choice. Obviously, skaters have an obligation to behave in a dignified manner and that Sasha has done. She has an obligation to try to skate the best she can. She has no obligation to tell us her feelings about another person. We don't get the right to examine her heart and soul to judge her worthiness. She hasn't sold her right to privacy or her soul for that matter. There is a line crossed, when a human's character gets judged by the contents of a brief morning show interview. Fans who do that are invading some serious personal space.

Last edited:

tripleflutz

On the Ice
Now they've found another silly reason to demonize Sasha, is there no end to the nonsense? What happened to Michelle isn't Sasha's fault. Sasha hasn't done anything to deserve all this crazy stuff. This is a sick thread full of idiotic personal bashing and it should be closed!!

Vash01

Medalist
Gregor said:
I disagree. When a skater is at this level it is very important to be aware of the image you are presenting. It is good to be focused on your own efforts but it is not good to seem cold and so driven you care about nothing else. Image is important. No matter what Cohen needs to do to succeed she must be aware of public image. I silte Belbin and Agosto as the supreme examples during this most trying year of effort to gain support for their Olympic opportunity. Never was either of them less than most gracious in their public comments.

I agree. B&A and Michelle have the ability to be gracious under tough circumstances. If someone does not care about the image, and wants to be cold and focused on oneself, that is her/his choice but then that skater cannot expect to be everyone's darling either. If that is Sasha's choice, that is fine. It does not surprise me that many people don't warm up to Sasha.

Vash

Susan Beth and Jsteam4501s,
Great post(s) from both of you. :)

Many pages back, Mathman referred to the quote of what Sasha said and MM said, "You mean all the furor is over this?! What Sasha said is fine," or words to that effect.

What if the situation were reversed? What if Michelle were healthy and ready to compete at her third Olympics and Sasha had to withdraw from her second Olys because of a sudden groin injury? Consider the following:

NOTE: I reworded the second sentence, the one in which Sasha refers to Michelle's status as an icon, since it didn't apply to Cohen. I also edited "very top of the sport" to just "top of the sport" since Cohen hasn't won a World title.

Michelle is asked, "How does the withdrawal of Sasha Cohen affect your mental and emotional preparation?"

"I think in a way it kind of humanizes the sport," Kwan said. "Sasha is someone that has been competing a lot since the last Olympics, so we've always seen her hard edge. To see that people can be at the top of the sport and can also have hard times just humanizes it for other athletes. To know that there are good times and there are bad times, and you have to persevere and kind of deal with what life gives you."
I can't help but think that Kwan fans would be saying how gracious and classy Kwan's statement was, and that a certain faction of mega Cohen fans would be saying how rude Michelle was for not saying she hoped Sasha would get better soon, etc.

JMO.

Rgirl

SusanBeth

Final Flight
>>>...... If someone does not care about the image, and wants to be cold and focused on oneself, that is her/his choice but then that skater cannot expect to be everyone's darling either.<<<<

So, if she doesn't show you the warmth and unselfishness that she may feel, then she is cold and focused on herself? Maybe she just thinks deep feelings aren't always for public display and entertainment.

Peggy

On the Ice
I hate to throw something else in the mix, but I remember a time when Michelle had a chance to set the record straight, when her and Sasha had a near miss in a warm up. Michelle just laughed at the joke Leno made and let everyone think that it was true that Sasha had purposely tried to hurt her. Her ungraciousness is the reason that Sasha has got ripped apart by Michelle's fans for years now. I actually saw a thread that said Sasha was like Tonya Harding, which is crazy. How many times has Michelle been asked about Sasha when Sasha had injuries.
I know Michelle fans are emotionally involed with Michelle and thinks she can do no wrong, but to bash Sasha because Michelle can't skate is a bit much.
I think most Sasha fans wish Michelle would skate so we could finally see how she places in this new system. I'm very disappointed that she isn't able to skate this Olympics but good grief, don't blame it on Sasha.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Rgirl, That is not what I'm talking about it was the fluff piece with KC on yesterday's Today Show.

Peggy the only thing I am blaming SC of is being rude during her fluff piece with Katie Couric. Has nothing to do with what Kwan has said or done or what fans have said or done. Cohen had a chance to say something compassionate and instead bent over backwards to avoid during so.

Lanie

On the Ice
Piel said:
Rgirl, That is not what I'm talking about it was the fluff piece with KC on yesterday's Today Show.

Peggy the only thing I am blaming SC of is being rude during her fluff piece with Katie Couric. Has nothing to do with what Kwan has said or done or what fans have said or done. Cohen had a chance to say something compassionate and instead bent over backwards to avoid during so.

But do you expect her to? I felt like Katie was trying to bait her into gushing gushing gushing. If I was Sasha I'd be a bit annoyed at this, because it's like, well, I'm here for ME, to compete, and I don't want distractions. I'm sure Sasha sympathizes with Michelle and wishes her the best, but what, should she start grovelling at Michelle's feet or something? I don't understand--I didn't see this as rude at all. I took it from the viewpoint of well, she's there to talk about her skating...and here's the spectre of Michelle again, who Sasha already discussed and expressed sympathy for earlier at her press conference. She doesn't have to disclose her emotions to the world. I'm pretty darn sure Sasha probably expressed her sympathy to Michelle one-on-one--phone call, drops by to say hi, etcetera. She might talk about it in her journal once she gets back since, well, she's apparently not allowed to talk about the Olympics in her journal and neither is anyone else!

Morganlee

Match Penalty
Lainie- they can't let it go, this is all they have now besides their memories.. Michelle has arrived stateside by now and is headed home to California. It's finally over and done but they can't let it go as this is all that's left of a 10 yr memory.. They should be content with their 6.0 memories instead of still trying to stick it to Sasha, Emily, Irina, the other posters- ect. Sad.:cry:

cutiepatutie

Rinkside
Peggy the only thing I am blaming SC of is being rude during her fluff piece with Katie Couric. Has nothing to do with what Kwan has said or done or what fans have said or done. Cohen had a chance to say something compassionate and instead bent over backwards to avoid during so. That is the problem here, Nobody blames Michelle for anything it all falls on Sasha. I have read so many different articles from Sasha and she is always very nice. I just don't see the problem here. I guess you want her to gush over Michelle like her fans do. Guess what? It ain't gonna happen and I say good for her.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
No one asked her to gush just to show the same politeness anyone would if asked about a team mate or co worker who had suffered a misfortune. She may very well have sent sentiments at another time but at this interview she was rude. This interview may have been the only time some folks see her get a chance to discuss this and if it was then they were left with a not so nice picture of Sasha.

This has nothing to do with what Sasha has done in the past. For example if you have one opportunity to talk with a person and they are rude to you, that they were nice to everyone else in the world doesn't change the fact that they were rude to you.

How can Kwan be blamed when she did not participate in the conversation? Some of you are trying to present every scenario to prove how nice Sasha is and that could very well be true but what is being discussed here is one occasion when she was not very nice. Why is it so hard for you to accept that Sasha may not be nice all of the time?

Last edited:
Rgirl said:
Michelle is asked, "How does the withdrawal of Sasha Cohen affect your mental and emotional preparation?"

"I think in a way it kind of humanizes the sport," Kwan said. "Sasha is someone that has been competing a lot since the last Olympics, so we've always seen her hard edge. To see that people can be at the top of the sport and can also have hard times just humanizes it for other athletes. To know that there are good times and there are bad times, and you have to persevere and kind of deal with what life gives you."
:love: Oh, Rgirl, thanks for posting that wonderful and gracious Michelle quote. What a girl!!! :love: :laugh:

One thing I have noticed about figure skating at the Olympics is that this is an intensely personal and individual endeavor and there does not seem to be much of a concept of the team. Figure skaters never want to win one for the Gipper.

This is in contrast to, for instance, the U.S. skiing team (which at least went out drinking together before their big race, where they got 5th (Bode Miller), 10th (Daron Rahlves) and 19th (Steven Nyman). As Nyman said, "We're all happy. Medals?..Screw medals. I don't really care about medals.") Go U.S.A.!

I wish Katie Couric would have asked Sasha to discuss her strengths and weaknesses vis-a-vis Irina. Maybe that would have spared us some of these long posts on the subject of whose fans behave the worst, and let us get back to figure skating.

Mathman

cutiepatutie

Rinkside
Piel said:
No one asked her to gush just to show the same politeness anyone would if asked about a team mate or co worker who had suffered a misfortune. She may very well have sent sentiments at another time but at this interview she was rude. This interview may have been the only time some folks see her get a chance to discuss this and if it was then they were left with a not so nice picture of Sasha.

This has nothing to do with what Sasha has done in the past. For example if you have one opportunity to talk with a person and they are rude to you, that they were nice to everyone else in the world doesn't change the fact that they were rude to you.

How can Kwan be blamed when she did not participate in the conversation? Some of you are trying to present every scenario to prove how nice Sasha is and that could very well be true but what is being discussed here is one occasion when she was not very nice. Why is it so hard for you to accept that Sasha may not be nice all of the time?
You just put yourself in Sasha's shoes, you have been in Michelle's shadow for years, you win Nationals but that is not good enough because people still say the only reason you won was because Michelle was a no show, you get to the Omyplic's you are so happy you have worked so hard have improved so much the past year and "Boom" Michelle drops out and there she is IN YOUR FACE everytime you turn around that is what everyone is asking you " How do you feel about Michelle?" I think if I was Sasha I would tell reporters to go ask Michelle how she feels not being the top skater anymore, see how people like that. No body knows how Nationals would have turned out (we have not had the thrill of seeing how Miss Kwan is skating) even her try outs for the Olympic's was not really made public as to what her levels were so who could know the turn out? So if you think Sasha is a snot so be it maybe she is I don't know her but I can tell you this much she is doing a much better job than I could and I sure am not a snot..To old to be a snot..

Here's something funny I just noticed. The thread about Michelle's withdrawal attracted 116 responses. This thread about Sasha's comments about Michelle's withdrawal has 153. :sheesh:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Forget the posters on this forum- I want to know what the real non-fans think of this situation. That would be an interesting thing to contrast, IMO...

soogar

Record Breaker
Piel said:
Soogar I see it like this. You and I agree on very few things. BUT if someone started a thread to send you good thoughts because you were ill or had suffered a misfortune, I would genuinely feel bad for you and would send you good vibes for a quick recovery.....even though I do not even know you. So why is it so hard for Sasha to do the same for someone that we know she knows. Like I said they were TEAM MATES and CO-EMPLOYEES.

Well a post on an anonymous thread isn't the same as a public endorsement of sympathy (though thank you in advance for the future sympathy:biggrin: ). Though Sasha is a lot like myself. If I am not friends with the person, I don't feel the need to go out of my way to say something to them about their misfortunes. Michelle isn't dying. She pulled out with a groin injury. Sasha herself suffered numerous injuries in her career. She even missed a season with a back injury and she has had groin injuries as well. Not once has Michelle said anything about Sasha's misfortunes, nor do I *expect* MIchelle to say anything about Sasha's problems. As far as Sasha is concerned, Michelle never really was on the team for all purposes. She hadn't competed seriously against Sasha all season long and hadn't even competed at Nationals. Why would Sasha even be thinking about Michelle in any context? And why would Sasha even want to participate in this media circus over Michelle? Sasha wants the circus to be about her; and if they don't want to talk about her, well Sasha has an event to win.

swannanoa54

On the Ice
Piel said:
Isn't that why we post our OPINIONS...whether we agree or disagree with something that happens or is said?

IMO this was a chance for Sasha to step up as our National Champion and one of the representatives of our country to the Olympics and show that she has some of the same class that people all over the world have been complimenting Kwan on for the past 36 hours. A lot of times this is what determines if someone becomes a fan of a celebrity...their compassion toward other people.

What I meant, Piel, was that we all disagree. I didn't mean anything by it. But now I see I'm just gonna have to speak my mind moreso than I normally do because I really didn't care for Sasha's interview with Couric at all. I believe there was one part that struck me as more self-centered than anything else: "This is about me." That statement just struck me wrong more than anything else. But I also, at the same time, understand why she said that.

For those of you who think there is nothing wrong with what Sasha said, that's cool by me. I'd imagine that you'd say the same thing as opposed to being polite and/or gracious enough to wish your competitor well. And yes, Sasha may be getting sick and tired of hearing about Kwan every single time she turns around, but guess what? She should be used to it just like Kwan has been used to hearing about Sasha and any other "younger" skater that comes along. It's a sport. Sasha should know by now that she's going to be asked about her competitors and she needs to learn to deal with it. Sometimes they are even going to steal her spotlight. It's the nature of sports. It happens to ALL athletes.

As far as Kwan fans bashing on Sasha, pffffffffftttttttttt is all I can say. I've read so much crap that's been thrown at Kwan by Sasha fans over the years that it all evens out. The Kwaniacs don't have it over the Cohenheads in the "bashing" department. There are those diehard fans out there who will drag any skater down that threatens their favorite. Then there are those of us who just have a favorite, follow that favorite, are upset when that favorite's goal will not be realized, and then just don't much care for the competitor in her public persona (or her skating for that matter). It's the nature of the beast.

But if we, as Kwan fans, are going to put it out there then we'd better be able to stand our ground against those who think Sasha is so "refreshing and upfront", when I actually think she should keep her mouth shut or refuse to answer any questions that don't center on her and her skating. She's so different one-on-one without the press around that it amazes me the things that have popped out of her mouth in the public. But hey, whatever floats her boat.

So, Piel, I am in total agreement with what you say about THIS interview. Just wanted to put that out there.

sk8rmommy

Rinkside
I've been following this post with amusement, and thought I'd add my two cents worth.

First let me state I enjoy most skaters performances....I don't have a fave. Not being able to do cross cuts both ways makes me appreciate everything anybody can do on blades.

While I did not hear Sasha's interview I do have two opinions on her response as reported here. First have none of you ever said anything and then a day or two wished you had said it differently? Are you all that poised and confident in your public speaking ability that the right words always come out....if so good for you because I know that I've been in situations where a few days later I cringe at what I said and wished I could take it back, but I'm not perfect and I don't expect anybody else to be either.

Second, this may not be a nice trait to have, but would it really be that terrible if Sasha was slightly happy at Kwan's misfortune. I mean come on, she's only human. Have none of you, even if you're a bit embarrassed to admit it out loud, wished some misfortune on a friend, co-worker, school mate etc. so that you can come out on top. She's worked her whole life for this...while I love watching skating I know it's a brutal sport to excel in....If it were me and I trained all these years I would have to say that I would feel a little sigh of relief if obstacles to my success were eliminated.

And lastly, you people who chose to bash any of these skaters for their perceived personality flaws, you do realize they are skaters....again I appreciate all that goes into this sport, physically, emotionally and mentally, but they are just skaters...no where does it say land a triple/triple and bring about world peace at the same time. Not to mention that most of these skaters whom you're expecting to be perfect adults, are barely out of their teens....how much sense did you all have in your late teens and early 20's?

I for one am going to enjoy the rest of the Olympics for what it is....a sports competition. Good luck to all the athletes, even you Sasha.....

FreeKatie

On the Ice
just wondering if anyone saw on tv last night (either access hollywood or extra?) Sasha was interviewed in Torino the day after MK withdrew and said some very nice things about MK withrawing... just because we don't see it or hear it doesn't mean it didn't happen. every single person sasha speaks to in the press is probably asking her the same question. its got to be annoying after the 100th time.

as for Kimmie, she had said she was glad MK was on the team b/c it was such an honor to be on the same team as her...

Emily was as nice as she could be considering she was also excited for herself to be going to her first Olympics.

I think the girls all handled the situation appropriately, now lets let them get on with it! Go Sasha, Kimmie and Emily!