Pairs LPs (begining now!) | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Pairs LPs (begining now!)

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Pang/Tong here - Phantom of the Opera

3 toes...big throw 3 twist!!!

ENORMOUS throw 3 sal! constant applause through all of this...but little comment....

"OHHHH....throw 3 loop...touch on way out."

end. HUGE APPLAUSE. Chris: "Boy - China has something to proud of tonight!" Simon - "Nowhere near quality of Shen/Zhao but still..."

Special chanting from Russian contingent as Tot/mar take to the ice...still waiting scores for Pang/Tong. Both Chris & Simon bet that Shen/Zhao will remain in first at this point. Tech score better than S/Z by fraction...but Comp score is lower....ahhhhhh...into second. Shen/Zhao lead by fraction!!! S/Z assured of bronze, at least!!!

Last edited:

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
what a disapointment for Maria and Alexei.. I was so hoping they would end up with a medal. I would even be happy if they beat Tanya and Maxim. I hope they go to the Worlds and at least win one more medal. But if they don't, Russia may be just lucky to have 2 spots for next year (since T&M have stated that Torino is their last competition)

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Totmianina/Marinin - Romeo & Juliet (Rota), Marton arrangement

Strong start...VERY strong 3 toes...

PERFECT so far...2 mins in...gt throw 3 loop...

(pace of music picks up...audience clapping in time...)

SPECTACULAR THROW right before slower music...in command!

Gorgeous spins in synch...

(pace quickens again...more audience clap-along...)

THAT WAS MIND-BOGGLING!!! SPECTACULAR!!! THEY HELD IT TOGETHER. INSTANT STANDING O FROM ENTIRE HALL!!!!!

Chris: "Barring a miracle - these are the new Olympic Champions!"

"Oleg Vasiliev thrilled...won this 22 yrs ago...they followed him, couldn't speak English...then it worked out for them." "Looking at slo-mo every element is perfect - gorgeous running edges coming off throws & jumps."

SCORES??? HUGE BRAVOS - 69.51 tech; ____Comp. BEST EVER for them. Chris: "Best pair skating performances -- SP + LP -- in history of Olympics!"

1 Tatiana Totmianina, Maxim Maranin (RUS) 68.64 135.84 204.48
2 Xue Shen, Hongbo Zhao (CHN) 62.32 124.59 186.91
3 Qing Pang, Jian Tong (CHN) 63.19 123.48 186.67
4 Maria Petrova, Alexei Tikhonov (RUS) 64.27 117.42 181.69
5 Aliona Savchenko, Robin Szolkowy (GER) 60.96 124.59 180.15
6 Rena Inoue, John Baldwin (USA) 61.27 113.74 175.01
7 Julia Obertas, Sergei Slavnov (RUS) 60.25 106.29 166.54
8 Dorota Zagorska, Mariusz Siudek (POL) 56.10 109.85 165.95
9 Jessica Dube, Bryce Davison (CAN) 55.48 104.23 159.71
10 Valerie Marcoux, Craig Buntin (CAN) 55.62 102.59 158.21

Last edited:

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
that is great news! New system rocks..under the old one they would have no chance..but then again they could've been held up.

always happy for the underdog!

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Zhangs - The Offspring of Dragons

Tough to follow T/M but....

Throw Quad: NASTY fall. landing in full-split position...oh no...mess after...

UNABLE TO CONTINUE? Ahhh.... Chris: "Worst nightmare." Being given encouraging applause as they go off ice. She is in shock.

**They will continue from the fall**

THEY NAIL THE DOUBLE-AXEL-TRIPLE-TOE-LOOP-SIDE-BY-SIDE: Unreal performance!!!!! Dazzling!!!!

s-b-s 3 sal...courageous but she 2-footed.

"They are true competitors! Can they medal despite the intial problem?" "Stunning! Again - everyone rises all aroud the rink!!!" "I doubt China will take gold but they have so many reasons to be proud." "Russian team is standing there, applauding Zhangs."

SCORES: "My goodness...hold on....TECHNICAL: 66.19 POINTS COMPONENTS: 59.82 -1 125.01 TOTAL OVERALL 189.73 POINTS!!!!!! THEY GET THE SILVER!!!!!!!!! Maybe judges a bit too generous???"

1. Totmanina/marinin
2. Zhangs
3. Shen/Zhao (Chris & Simon think scores are ridiculous BUT Ms Zhang showed courage...")

1 Tatiana Totmianina, Maxim Maranin (RUS) 68.64 135.84 204.48
2 Hao Zhang, Dan Zhang (CHN) 64.72 64.72 125.01 189.73
3 Xue Shen, Hongbo Zhao (CHN) 62.32 124.59 186.91
4 Qing Pang, Jian Tong (CHN) 63.19 123.48 186.67
5 Maria Petrova, Alexei Tikhonov (RUS) 64.27 117.42 181.69
6 Aliona Savchenko, Robin Szolkowy (GER) 60.96 124.59 180.15
7 Rena Inoue, John Baldwin (USA) 61.27 113.74 175.01
8 Julia Obertas, Sergei Slavnov (RUS) 60.25 106.29 166.54
9 Dorota Zagorska, Mariusz Siudek (POL) 56.10 109.85 165.95
10 Jessica Dube, Bryce Davison (CAN) 55.48 104.23 159.71

Last edited:

Jasper

Final Flight
*phew* They pulled mout the silver. But what a scary performance. Good for them to fight and finish!

Shmuzzy

On the Ice
That was the worst looking accident I have ever seen. I can't believe she didn't tear knee ligaments as well as totally wrench her groin. Unreal that she could continue and actually skate pretty well! They totally deserved the silver.

childfreegirl

Final Flight
Okay, so I've only heard it, not seen it, only heard it, but what were those judges thinking???!!! Crazy, crazy, crazy!

soogar

Record Breaker
Ohhhh I am so sad for the PetTikhs. Good for Shen and Zhao that they made the podium. It looks like Russia is going to need to dig deep to maintain their stronghold on the pairs title. I don't think Obertas and Slavnav are going to step up to the plate and be frontfunners for 2010.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Oooo...gossipy stuff here....as Gwendal interviews T. Totmianina, she says: "Well, the Chinese were very aggresive in warm-up. Basically, they didn't allow us to warm up so maybe what happened was the result?" ooooo.......

I heard this with my own ears, boys & girls.

p.s. Here is the Eurosport transcript: Tatiana on her final contest: "I'm so happy, I was kind of tired tonight...... but happy, happy, happy."
22:55 THE DOUBLE-WORLD CHAMPIONS: Tatiana Totmianina and Maxim Maranin win their first Olympic gold on a personal best MARININ: "It was a great support for us and it gave us a little bit more power." TOTMIANINA: "They were very agressive on the warmup, they basically didn't let us warm-up normally, maybe they (unintelligible) so that's their decision."

Last edited:

CDMM1991

Medalist
I have absolutely UNBELIEVABLE amount of respect for Dan Zhang. They skated like champions. Good for them.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
So that's it. Maybe the first of four golds for Russia, in figure skating? let's see. Can't wait to SEE this tonight...maybe NBC will show us more than 7 or 8 skates? Let's hope.

p.s. I now see that Russia won another gold today - Svetlana Ishmourova won 15km biatholon. Plus Dmitri in speedskating...and now Tot/Mar. Good for Russia!

Last edited:

Saundy

On the Ice
That was definitely one nasty fall. CBC kept showing the replay and I cringed every time. OUCH! I have newfound respect for them now. How anyone can finnish their program AND win a silver medal after that fall is beyond me...

VERY happy for S&Z. I had tears in my eyes when they finnished.

I'm happy for T&M, although I was secretly hoping someone would surpass them as they are not my favourite pairs team. Oh well. They worked hard and they deserve it.

Ksenia

Spectator
That was an amazing amount of courage from Dan Zhang!!...and he showed so much support as well!!! Just amazing!