Michelle Kwan's Withdrawal | Golden Skate

Michelle Kwan's Withdrawal

cmego500

Rinkside
I'm sooo bumbed out she can't compete. I truly wish her the best and i hope she's able to get well and maybe come back next year and end her career on a high note, if she so wishes to do it.

NBC just announced that she'll be having a press conference at 5am est on cnbc.

Vash01

Medalist
This is awful news. I was hoping that she would tough it out, but this sounds like a very serious injury. I am so sad for her. I hope she still has the desire to compete. It will be sad to end a stellar career on such a down note.

Vash

JOHIO2

Medalist
Bummer for Michelle. But I hope Emily Hughes is OK'd to replace her and has a great time and a great skate in Torino.

Longhornliz

Final Flight
This really is devastating, I feel so crushed for her. This will certainly change things as the ladies event approaches.

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
i'm sorry to see her drop out of the competition, but i'm sure she has thought this over and decided the best route for her. i'm glad she at least got to enjoy the opening ceremonies. it's sad. it really feels like the era of michelle kwan has just closed. but best of luck to emily, i'm sure she will be thrilled.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
I don't think it's the end of an era. She kept her word. Even if the naysayers (which they will) say that she was stupid for having gone to the Olympics anyway, she at least taught the next generation a thing or two:

1. Always listen to your body; a piece of gold-plated silver on a ribbon isn't worth killing your body for.
2. Always keep your word.

Well done, Michelle. :clap:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
msnbc reports that the IOC has cleared Emily, but bad weather is preventing planes from taking off.

Kathleen

Rinkside
I was SO sad to read this news when I got up this morning. Michelle has a lot of class......and the ladies event will certainly be missing something. :(

How exciting for Emily..........though I have to tell you, I'm on Long Island and we're in the middle of a blizzard right now and it's not supposed to stop snowing until about 4:00 this afternoon. Emily isn't going anywhere today. How frustrating!

Longhornliz

Final Flight
Kwan seemed so out of sorts at the press conference, it was truely heartbreaking. I bet she hadnt slept a wink the night before. Does anyone know if her coach ever made it to Tourin? It must have been a challenge to be going through this withough a consegleri (am I remotely close on the spelling?)

cianni

On the Ice
Disappointed

Im so sad for her and hope she will go for 1 more season. Thats for me cause shes my only interest in skating. Id love to see Kimmie sneak in there. I wish Michelle a great career no matter what she decides to do. Skating wont be the same.

thisthingcalledlove said:
I don't think it's the end of an era. She kept her word. Even if the naysayers (which they will) say that she was stupid for having gone to the Olympics anyway, she at least taught the next generation a thing or two:

1. Always listen to your body; a piece of gold-plated silver on a ribbon isn't worth killing your body for.
2. Always keep your word.

Well done, Michelle. :clap:
Well said and ITA, Thisthingcalledlove. Let's hope the next generation--and many in this generation--get the message.

It's just sad, sad, sad. :cry: But of course, Michelle has been a class act through the whole thing, and I mean from when she first sustained the hip injury. Groin pulls are the bane of figure skaters' lives in trying to recover from them. It seems the skate gods stacked the chips against Michelle from the beginning of the season.

I remember two things Kurt Browning said after his performances at the '94 Olympics, the second time he'd gone to the Olys as World Champ and the second time he didn't even medal at the Olys. One was (approximately), "I guess something about the Olympics just doesn't agree with me." The other was, "I need a hug."

I'm very glad Michelle's parents are there to give her lots of hugs. And I'm sure her extended family and close friends who are in Torino will be giving her many hugs until she returns home, where I'm sure the entire figure skating community will embrace her.

I know I don't need to say that Michelle doesn't need the OGM as "proof" of what she has accomplished and may yet still accomplish in figure skating. Look what Kurt Browning did with his skating as a pro? Okay, so maybe he did the clown program one too many times. ;) Seriously, after a couple of rough years, Kurt achieved a whole new level of technical prowess and creativity with his skating as a pro. Or maybe Michelle will continue to compete for years to come, who knows?

In any case, for Michelle:
(((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))

Rgirl

JOHIO2

Medalist
Elvis Stojko's 2nd Olympic silver medal in 1998 was won while he was suffering with a groin pull. I remember he could hardly walk after skating.

I doubt that was safe or wise. And we have seen how skaters' bodies get beat up. Tara Lipinski is the poster child for that. I think Michelle was wise to listen to her body and to the doctors who told her it wasn't wise or safe to continue at this time.

Mafke

Medalist
Well that's the last straw.

Between the NJS (No Judges in Sight) and COP (conformity of performance) and Kwan's withdrawal, I really have very little interest in this olympic competition (I can't scare up much interest in the olympics ever and think it's perverted for the sport ot invest so much in a quattrannial (S?) event.

We'll see if I can work up any interest in worlds (inevitably I like worlds after olympics better than olympics).

Revisied handicapping: It's Slute's to lose, but COP has taken a heavy toll on my interest in her skating as it doesn't penalize stand-still landings or sloppiness enough. Cohen's a good bet for silver but I've never taken to her skating yet, too .... girlish and skittery for me.

Of those remaining, I'll be rooting for Arakawa the most. She's uneven but magnificent when she's on. Unfortunately, COP isn't friendly to her strengths and is far too harsh on her weaknesses (sort of the mirror opposite of Slute).

Can't work up much feeling on the rest of the field yet.

I just hope the champion, whoever she is, does more for the sport than the last three did. It's too visible a competition for the champion to disappear soon after.

nymkfan51

Medalist
I agree with everything you said Rgirl. :love:

I just feel so heartbroken right now for Michelle. She worked so hard this past year, but it seems nothing could go right for her.
I didn't come on the boards right away this morning because I thought if I heard one negative thing about her, I would go through the roof. But most folks have been very decent, and for that I am thankful.

My wish for Michelle is that she be given the time and space right now to heal both mentally and physically. And whatever she decides for her future, I can say that I will be there to support her 100%.

What an amazing young woman she is.