Michelle Kwan's Withdrawal | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Michelle Kwan's Withdrawal

mzheng

Record Breaker
I saw some talked about wish MK go pro in this thread.....Honestly I doubt what this will lead to, how the back scene drama would be, or will USFSA attach a string of things?.......you know pro or amature rink share same group of FS fans and there is limited budget of money in their pocket they willing to spend, they have to make choice, spend on view pro comp/show or going to USFSA amature rink comp/show? If you believe MK will revive pro, then you have to question where the money flow to, and if USFSA will be happy?

You know Kwanspiracy. :chorus:

Flora MacDonald

Rinkside
I just saw the NBC clip that juxtaposed other great athletes with Michelle.
She's the Dan Marino of figure skating and that's real good.
I just too distrait to comment further at this time. . .

cianni

On the Ice
Havanamesa1

Sorry if you took my post seriously it was meant to be sacastic for the posts complaining about Emily being cheated out of her spot by Michelle and you are right she didnt have a rightful spot. I like Emily but give her NO chance of being near the podium. I wonder what the fans who complained about her being cheated out of her chance to win the Gold will have to say. The best chance to medal is what the USFSA uses to pick the team. Does Emily have a chance to win?

thisthingcalledlove said:
I don't think it's the end of an era. She kept her word. Even if the naysayers (which they will) say that she was stupid for having gone to the Olympics anyway, she at least taught the next generation a thing or two:

1. Always listen to your body; a piece of gold-plated silver on a ribbon isn't worth killing your body for.
2. Always keep your word.

Well done, Michelle. :clap:

Nice post, TTCL. :clap:

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
I am feeling better about the situation now. All good things must come to an end. I wish Michelle's ending had played out differently, but the ice is a hard and unyielding mistress. I will be forever grateful for the many hours of viewing pleasure Michelle gave me. From the moment she stepped on the ice as the biblical temptress Salome, I knew I was watching someone special. 20 years from now she will be remembered as one of the greatest to ever lace up a pair of skates.

Vash01

Medalist
Longhornliz said:
Kwan seemed so out of sorts at the press conference, it was truely heartbreaking. I bet she hadnt slept a wink the night before. Does anyone know if her coach ever made it to Tourin? It must have been a challenge to be going through this withough a consegleri (am I remotely close on the spelling?)

"Out of sorts"? I know you meant well, but she appeared very strong and composed to me. She was honest and clear in what she said. Of course this is a terrible disappointment, but you really see how classy she is, particularly when dealing with a tough situation. We saw it in 1998, Nagano when she was just 17. I have never seen her lose her composure in a major way.

I think she has a strong support system through her family. That is why she felt OK even going to the Olympics without a coach in 2002. (I am not sure what her coaching situation was this time, but did anyone see Aruturian standing near the boards when she was on practice ice?) I think she will be OK, even after this. In fact every time she had to deal with a tough situation she has appeared stronger. That is why she has been a champion for so long.

Vash

Vash01

Medalist
soogar said:
Well maybe she marched b/c she had a feeling that she wouldn't be able to compete and wanted to enjoy one last time. Marching in the ceremonies didn't cause that injury. She was injured all along and was put on the team in hopes of her recovering in time to compete in the games. I don't care what all the haters said, Michelle didn't produce more in her audition skate than Emily did in her competitive skates at Nats. While I don't think she should have been sent at all, at least she's pulling out in time for Emily to get mentally ready to skate.

Though before everyone jumps on the Michelle is so classy parade, real class would have prompted her not to petition at all. I don't think Michelle for a second expected this kind of scrutiny at the games for her practice sessions nor the public pressure to deliver a medal. Ironically, had she just competed at Nationals and earned her spot, even with a crappy performance, she could have gone to these games in relative peace and been content with just focusing on her skating and delivering the best performance *she* was capable of. By putting her on the team and declaring her a great shot at winning an OGM, the USFS (and Michelle) opened her up to more pressure.

On a side note, Emily was so cute in the local interview. It seems they abruptly cut the interview to make the time limit and the way it was cut, made it sem like Emily was chattering for an hour straight. Stage is getting set for Baby Hughes to pull a surprise at the games.

Did you watch Michelle's audition? How did you come up with the conclusion that MK did not produce at the audition more than Hughes at the nationals? Hughes LP performance at the nationals was nothing to write home about. She deserved the 3rd place, but that does not guarantee a berth on the Olympic team, as per rules. It is even laughable to compare Michelle and Emily in terms of skating skills. Emily will have a great future IMO, but there was no way the selection committee was going to bypass a proven champion like Michelle to put her on the team.

Michelle was perfectly within rules to petition for a spot on the team. Other skaters have done so in the past so it is not like she was asking them to bend the rules for her. I don't believe for a second that the positive comments from the committee added to the pressure on Michelle. If it did, she is very capable of handling pressure as we have seen for the last 10+ years.

Vash

Vash01

Medalist
Justafan said:
I hate to hear it. I was hoping it was just tiredness and nerves that was getting to her. On the bright side, I hope Michelle goes pro. Pro skating needs an infusion of new talent and I think she would be great at it.

Pro competitions are so ridiculous these days that it will be almost an insult to Michelle to be in those. She has always been a great competitor. Although she has produced great exhibition skates, I would hate to see her leave the eligible scene. I think and I hope that her competitive fires are still burning.

Vash

Vash01

Medalist
Morganlee said:
Why should anyone be shocked? She has been avoiding the Cop for the most part since it's inception.. She was a 6.0 skater pure and simple. Now maybe future skaters will understand that this is a serious sport, not the ballet.

You have got to be kidding. Michelle did not make the rules that COP would not be used at the US nationals until this year. Michelle had her reasons for not going to a lot of GP's but she was planning to skate in two GP's this season. Injuries kept her out of them. That is just bad luck.

Are you suggesting that COP makes this a serious sport and that the 6.0 system was a ballet competition?

Vash

Longhornliz

Final Flight
Vash01 said:
"Out of sorts"? I know you meant well, but she appeared very strong and composed to me. She was honest and clear in what she said. Of course this is a terrible disappointment, but you really see how classy she is, particularly when dealing with a tough situation. We saw it in 1998, Nagano when she was just 17. I have never seen her lose her composure in a major way.

Vash

I agree that she was strong and composed... but she also seemed to have this quality like she was floating above herself and watching it happen. Understandable, completely understandable.

Morganlee

Match Penalty
It's over, that's the bottom line. As the moderator on the NBC tribute said tonight- there will be two planes tomorrow. One headed for the Olympics with a skater for the first time and one headed away from the Olympics with a skater for the last time. A fitting ending.

Vash01 said:
(I am not sure what her coaching situation was this time, but did anyone see Aruturian standing near the boards when she was on practice ice?)
Vash

Yes, the silence from RA is deafening. I don't believe for one second that he is STILL hung up "in transit."

JUST SPECULATING, but does anyone remember when MK went to Skate Canada in 1997(??) by herself, and it later came out that Frank Carroll was pissed that she was going and refused to accompany her? Did RA ever come out in support of Kwan's petition & bye? Have we even heard from him since...since....last year's Worlds??

S

SkateFan4Life

This was one of the lead stories on NBC television last night, and it's still being played on the air waves. It's the first time since the Nancy/Tonya debacle that women's figure skating makes the headlines.

Peter Ubberroth gave an emotional news conference announcing the withdrawal of Michelle Kwan. He said (to araphrase), "Michelle Kwan means more to us (US Olympic Committee) than any athlete who has ever performed."

flowjo35

On the Ice
Misplaced Gymnast said:
Yes, the silence from RA is deafening. I don't believe for one second that he is STILL hung up "in transit."

JUST SPECULATING, but does anyone remember when MK went to Skate Canada in 1997(??) by herself, and it later came out that Frank Carroll was pissed that she was going and refused to accompany her? Did RA ever come out in support of Kwan's petition & bye? Have we even heard from him since...since....last year's Worlds??

If you go back to the articles when Michelle had her skate test it clearly stated that RA was there and supported her. He was there when Cyr was giving Michelle and him pointers on how to make her levels higher, and also when she landed her 3/2/2 combo he was one of the loudest cheerleaders.

Morganlee said:
Because someone does not spout the party line does not make them a troll.
I logged on to GS this morning to say exactly that, though of course it probably would have taken me 50,000 words what you said in one sentence. :biggrin: Thank you, Morganlee, for your cogent reminder. :agree:

As for tact, hey, some people are blunt. Soogar is blunt, but she didn't bash Michelle or any other posters. Soogar stated her opinions and people bluntly stated their opinions about Soogar back. The only thing that bothers me is that the attacks were aimed at Soogar personally rather than at her opinions. But I'm sure Soogar knew what she was getting into when she chose to post on this thread.

So then why did I respond so positively JimmyHoffa's post? It was a general welcome to JH, whom I haven't seen around much lately and whose bluntness, like Soogar's, I like. Should have made that clear in my post. In fact, I can and will with the EDIT option.

Personally, I hope people with opinions that do not "spout the party line" continue to post them. It may end up in rumble, but I'm sure the mods will remind us to cool off if things get too hot.

Rgirl

Rgirl said:
I logged on to GS this morning to say exactly that, though of course it probably would have taken me 50,000 words what you said in one sentence. :biggrin: Thank you, Morganlee, for your cogent reminder. :agree:

As for tact, hey, some people are blunt. Soogar is blunt, but she didn't bash Michelle or any other posters. Soogar stated her opinions and people bluntly stated their opinions about Soogar back. The only thing that bothers me is that the attacks were aimed at Soogar personally rather than at her opinions. But I'm sure Soogar knew what she was getting into when she chose to post on this thread.

So then why did I respond so positively JimmyHoffa's post? It was a general welcome to JH, whom I haven't seen around much lately and whose bluntness, like Soogar's, I like. Should have made that clear in my post. In fact, I can and will with the EDIT option.

Personally, I hope people with opinions that do not "spout the party line" continue to post them. It may end up in rumble, but I'm sure the mods will remind us to cool off if things get too hot.

Rgirl
And definitely one can hide their personal biases by saying that anyone who brings up Nagano, really needs therapy.

Ogre Mage said:
I am feeling better about the situation now. All good things must come to an end. I wish Michelle's ending had played out differently, but the ice is a hard and unyielding mistress. I will be forever grateful for the many hours of viewing pleasure Michelle gave me. From the moment she stepped on the ice as the biblical temptress Salome, I knew I was watching someone special. 20 years from now she will be remembered as one of the greatest to ever lace up a pair of skates.
Nice perspective. Even though I didn't start to like Michelle's skating until '03 Nationals, I can relate to the sentiment you expressed so well. :)

Rgirl

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
OK, I just merged two threads about the exact same topic here. PLEASE try not start new threads about a topic that is all ready highly discussed on the board without checking to see if there's an appropriate thread started all ready to participate in. Thanks guys.

Morganlee

Match Penalty
Rgirl said:

Rgirl
Ty R- I'm surprised that a non skater specific board is so fanatical for one skater. That's fine but it should be changed to skater specific if that's the case. It hardly reads like a general skating board.

Morganlee said:
Ty R- I'm surprised that a non skater specific board is so fanatical for one skater. That's fine but it should be changed to skater specific if that's the case. It hardly reads like a general skating board.
When you joined GS, did any form ask you to List the Skaters Who are your favorites?

Did the form ask you if you had actual figure skating abilities?

Did the form ask you if you once belonged to GS, went away, and now back with a new id?

Your slur is a damnation of all GS Members, and you refuse to tell us more about yourself and your failing to name that general skating board that has no favor skaters.

You are bordering on being banned for the slurring remarks. We'll wait for you to prove you had no intention of slurring GS.

Joe